IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone please tell me about Zucker School of Medicine/ Hofstra Northwell Staten Island University Hospital Program? I liked the program but someone has scared me by saying it is a terrible place and they would rank it last. I don't know what to believe as I'm finding mixed opinions on the internet.

PLEASE HELP.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, would appreciate any input on my ROL. Leaning towards a fellowship (Pulm CC/GI/ Endo) but keeping my options open. Main priorities apart from a possible fellowship are quality of training, program culture and overall happiness.

1. UConn
2. UConn New Britain (Primary care)
3. Medstar Washington
4. Mount Auburn
5. University of South Dakota
6. Loyola MacNeal
7. St. Agnes Baltimore
8. St. Vincent Worchester
9. Metrowest
10. Rochester Unity
11. West Virginia Camden Clark
12. Northeast Georgia Medical Centre
This is a brilliant list. I would leave it as it is, maybe moving MacNeal to 5 but mostly based on location.

Good day doctors! Any idea about Albert Einstein Healthcare Network in Philadelphia? Plan is to do Cardio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone please tell me about Zucker School of Medicine/ Hofstra Northwell Staten Island University Hospital Program? I liked the program but someone has scared me by saying it is a terrible place and they would rank it last. I don't know what to believe as I'm finding mixed opinions on the internet.

PLEASE HELP.
theres just alot of scut work and i heard its more difficult to get a fellowship

Wonder if anyone knows about how prematch works in the preliminary program?
If my primary ROL includes both categorical and advanced programs, I won't know if I need a prelim before match day. It's kind of tricky if I need to decide before the match whether I want to prematch with them...

If my primary ROL includes both categorical and advanced programs, I won't know if I need a prelim before match day. It's kind of tricky if I need to decide before the match whether I want to prematch with them...
Basically you can’t rank the categorical programs.

Agree with rokshana. If you prematch a prelim, you should only submit a rank list of advanced programs.

Now you might think: Well, I'll prematch the prelim. Then I'll rank both cat and adv programs and just not submit a supplemental for my adv programs. That way, if I match advanced I'm all set with my prematched prelim, and if I match Cat then I'll just resign my prelim -- I got it outside the match, so that's not a match violation. Right?

Not exactly. The match requires that you certify that you're uncommitted for the time period you're trying to match into. So if you match Cat and then resign the prelim, that program can submit a match violation report on you, and you might lose everything (and be banned from the match). Would they do that? I don't know. A bad idea to find out.

Reactions: 3 users
How is Mt sinai Elmhurst program? and interview experience?

Interviewed there yesterday. PD, APD and interviewer were nice. The residents in the Q and A were very engaging. My interviewer asked me medical questions.

Last edited:
Interviewed there yesterday. PD, APD and interviewer were nice. The residents in the Q and A were very engaging. My interviewer asked me medical questions.
Can you tell me which medical questions were asked? Was those out of context or specific to your US/other clinical experience?

I had a similar experience but I am concerned about it being malignant and board pass rate was only 71%. What do you think about it?

Can anyone tell me more about Franciscan health Olympia field IM program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell me which medical questions were asked? Was those out of context or specific to your US/other clinical experience?

I was given a case and I had to ask questions to come up with a diagnosis and differentials.

I had a similar experience but I am concerned about it being malignant and board pass rate was only 71%. What do you think about it?
Ohhh I didn't know this. I was going to ask somewhere what is their board passing rate. Has it been low consistently? What do you think?

Good day doctors! Any idea about Albert Einstein Healthcare Network in Philadelphia? Plan is to do Cardio.

Einstein puts people into all the competitive subspecialties all the time, including cards. They also try to take some in house every year.

Help me rank these IM programs. I want to pursue primary care or endo/rheumato after residency.
1.Jacobi (primary track)
2.Icahn queens
3. St.Joseph Paterson (need any information regarding this program)
4. Creighton university Phoenix
5. Texas tech at El Paso
6. Eisenhower
7. St.Mary Waterbury
8. Meharry
9. Icahn at elmhurst
Does anyone know about Creighton University at Phoenix. I appreciate any information regarding the program, environment, training, ...

cc
Ohhh I didn't know this. I was going to ask somewhere what is their board passing rate. Has it been low consistently? What do you think?
On my interview day i got the impression that there is little support for residents and they have to manage everything themselves. There might be a chance to match into fellowships since they have in-house ones but it's a cut-throat program I felt. ABIM shows their board pass rate from 2017-2019 has been 71% which is kind of confirming my thoughts of it being malignant.

Any one know anything about Monmouth Medical Centre and Greater Baltimore Medical Centre please?

Any one know anything about Monmouth Medical Centre and Greater Baltimore Medical Centre please?
I know a little about GBMC....
The program is more toward primary care oriented
Their EMR system got hacked recently so they made their resident overworked (they declared Emergency to ACGME) You get a chance to do rotation in hopkins (cardio,neuro)
Otherwise resident and PD seemed friendly
No scut work

include something else if you know more about program so we all can learn something new😊

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I know a little about GBMC....
The program is more toward primary care oriented
Their EMR system got hacked recently so they made their resident overworked (they declared Emergency to ACGME) You get a chance to do rotation in hopkins (cardio,neuro)
Otherwise resident and PD seemed friendly
No scut work

include something else if you know more about program so we all can learn something new😊

Thank you so much for all the details. Can you tell me how is the work-life balance? How are the residents like with each other? Can i pursue a fellowship later after graduation ( Pulm/Critical Care)?

Please help me rank:
Plan is to do cardio.

1. Westchester Medical Center
2. Rochester General Hospital
3. Abington Memorial Hospital
4. Zucker SOM- Staten Island University
5. Montefiore New Rochelle
6. New York Presbyterian Queens
7. Icahn SOM at Mt. Sinai (Queens)
8. New York Metropolitan Hospital
9. Jersey Shore Uni/ St. Francis Medical Center
10. Lincoln Medical Center
11. Alameda Medical Center
12. St. Luke’s Chesterfield Missouri

Thank you so much for all the details. Can you tell me how is the work-life balance? How are the residents like with each other? Can i pursue a fellowship later after graduation ( Pulm/Critical Care)?
Some says balance is good...but i saw it written somewhere where someone said that admin tell residents to say that this is family friendly program😂 (otherwise they work a lot during those crisis)
Very low chance for fellowship bcz less research and most go in non competitive speciality like Nephro or go to PCP/hospitalist track

• Love
Is it common for program to send out thank you letter to candidate? I’ve just received mine and it was even hand written with signatures of the 3 people that interviewed me. Is it a good sign or should I not read too much into it?

Is it common for program to send out thank you letter to candidate? I’ve just received mine and it was even hand written with signatures of the 3 people that interviewed me. Is it a good sign or should I not read too much into it?
Which was the program?
In one program I know they send this type of gifts to excellent candidates only...few of them received and few of them didn’t (including myself)

St Joe’s is underrated...the pathology is great, the critical care tower is amazing and the hospital is on the black.
Cost of living in jersey is better...though wouldn’t live in Paterson.
I’d would edge it up over queens
Do you know which university St.joseph is affiliated with? I can not find that information!!

Could you please help me to rank the following programs in internal medicine? I would prefer a program with a work-life balance, location would be next to it.
1. University of Arkansas
2. Beaumont Royal Oak
3. Zucker SOM-Staten Island University Hospital
4. Cook County
5. Presence St. Francis
6. Montefiore New Rochelle
7. UMMC Midtown campus
8. Loyola Macneal's
9. Wright center for GME

As far as my perception, major confusion is 3 vs 4. Also confused about 5vs 7.

Some says balance is good...but i saw it written somewhere where someone said that admin tell residents to say that this is family friendly program😂 (otherwise they work a lot during those crisis)
Very low chance for fellowship bcz less research and most go in non competitive speciality like Nephro or go to PCP/hospitalist track
Thank you for so much information. This helped me a lot.

Could you please help me to rank the following programs in internal medicine? I would prefer a program with a work-life balance, location would be next to it.
1. University of Arkansas
2. Beaumont Royal Oak
3. Zucker SOM-Staten Island University Hospital
4. Cook County
5. Presence St. Francis
6. Montefiore New Rochelle
7. UMMC Midtown campus
8. Loyola Macneal's
9. Wright center for GME

As far as my perception, major confusion is 3 vs 4. Also confused about 5vs 7.
3 vs 4. I’ll say 4

Can anyone please tell me which one to rank higher and why?...Montefiore Wakefield or Zucker Staten Island University Hospital?

Also does not having a cath lab pose significant barrier in learning?

Could you please have your say about the rest of the order as well? Thank you!
My knowelge is limited when it comes to programs, however from what I’ve heard from seniors , cook county and UMMC midtown are both good programs. Staten Island is also a good one . I used to live on Staten Island, interviewed there too. Wright i heard is a toxic program. The others i cant say in order of ranking.
Take what I say with a grain of salt lol.

Reactions: 1 users
My knowelge is limited when it comes to programs, however from what I’ve heard from seniors , cook county and UMMC midtown are both good programs. Staten Island is also a good one . I used to live on Staten Island, interviewed there too. Wright i heard is a toxic program. The others i cant say in order of ranking.
Take what I say with a grain of salt lol.

Can anyone please tell me which one to rank higher and why?
Bassett Medical Center Program
Bridgeport Hospital/Yale University Program Internal Medicine
The Brooklyn Hospital Center
Yale Bridgeport definitely based on the affiliation and the opportunities. The city might not be as exciting though.

Does Jacobi has high workload or high SCUT work? not afraid of high clinical work but concerned about nonclinical works.....any experience from intern friends?

What would be your preference

Jacobi(good fellowship match but malignant) vs Eisenhower,California(Perfect weather, very rich program, low chance for fellowship) vs Stamford(very small program so more 1-1, a decent emphasis on research, Recent fellowship match close to none) vs Franciscan-olympia field(Has most in-house competitive fellowship but 3 year board pass rate just 70, most DO students)

Please help with ranking

staten island university hospital
mt sinai beth israel
Hackensack UMC
NYP Queens
Lenox Hill

What would be your preference

Jacobi(good fellowship match but malignant) vs Eisenhower,California(Perfect weather, very rich program, low chance for fellowship) vs Stamford(very small program so more 1-1, a decent emphasis on research, Recent fellowship match close to none) vs Franciscan-olympia field(Has most in-house competitive fellowship but 3 year board pass rate just 70, most DO students)
I also have Jacobi and Eisenhower on my list, Jacobi has great fellowship match but also some scut work, like daily blood draws( they have a nurse for morning draws, rest of the day, if you order it, its upon you). The problem with Eisen is also theres not much diverse patient population if that matters to you. And I don’t see any problem with a program with so many DO students, in fact there’s a non-written rule that AMG don’t go to bad places!!

I also have Jacobi and Eisenhower on my list, Jacobi has great fellowship match but also some scut work, like daily blood draws( they have a nurse for morning draws, rest of the day, if you order it, its upon you). The problem with Eisen is also theres not much diverse patient population if that matters to you. And I don’t see any problem with a program with so many DO students, in fact there’s a non-written rule that AMG don’t go to bad places!!
Can you tell me other non-clinical things that people consider as scut work that we do in Jacobi? Thanks

Please help with ranking

staten island university hospital
mt sinai beth israel
Hackensack UMC
NYP Queens
Lenox Hill
I don't have much idea but maybe ....
Beth Israel
SIUH
Lenox Hills
NYP Queens
Hackensack UMC

Hey guys. I have a slight dilemma. I’m a US-IMG (Non-Caribbean). Step 1 24x, Step 2CK 26x, Step 2CS Pathway approved. YOG 2021. 0 USCE. I applied to IM this year and got 4 interviews. I think my lack of USCE played a big part in this. 2 programs are brand new that I might not even rank. 4 categorical and 1 IM prelim total. My question is that, is it better to go unmatched or match into a IM preliminary spot and then reapply?

My issue with the new programs is the potential difficulty in matching into a fellowship. They are both university affiliated so maybe there’s hope?

My second question is that if I match into the preliminary spot, would it be possible to try to match into anesthesia (I was stuck between IM and anesthesia but applied to IM due to no USCE). I’m in a bit of a dilemma on what to do. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys. I have a slight dilemma. I’m a US-IMG (Non-Caribbean). Step 1 24x, Step 2CK 26x, Step 2CS Pathway approved. YOG 2021. 0 USCE. I applied to IM this year and got 4 interviews. I think my lack of USCE played a big part in this. 2 programs are brand new that I might not even rank. 4 categorical and 1 IM prelim total. My question is that, is it better to go unmatched or match into a IM preliminary spot and then reapply?

My issue with the new programs is the potential difficulty in matching into a fellowship. They are both university affiliated so maybe there’s hope?

My second question is that if I match into the preliminary spot, would it be possible to try to match into anesthesia (I was stuck between IM and anesthesia but applied to IM due to no USCE). I’m in a bit of a dilemma on what to do. Thanks!
If you match into a prelim, you can apply the next year for Anesthesia R positions to start in 2022, or A positions to start in 2023. But when you will be finalizing and submitting your application (late Aug / early Sept) you'll have completed 2 months of IM residency. Getting a "good LOR" may be difficult at that point, likely your letter will say "tommy has started in our program and is doing as we would expect for an early intern" -- and that assumes that all goes well in your transition to the US.

Your other choice is to get a PGY-2 IM position. These aren't in the match, your PD will need to help you find one. It's difficult to do both -- you'll want to get a PGY-2 position long before mid March if possible. But if you get lots of Anesthesia invites, you could decide to await the match and getting a PGY-2 IM spot after the match isn't impossible (but better places may fill earlier than that).

Regarding not ranking new programs - your chance of getting a fellowship is zero if you don't match. if you don't rank these programs and don't match, what's your plan? You mention lack of US clinical experience as the problem (which is probably correct), how do you plan to fix this? If not, why would you expect your application to be any more successful next year?

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with rokshana. If you prematch a prelim, you should only submit a rank list of advanced programs.

Now you might think: Well, I'll prematch the prelim. Then I'll rank both cat and adv programs and just not submit a supplemental for my adv programs. That way, if I match advanced I'm all set with my prematched prelim, and if I match Cat then I'll just resign my prelim -- I got it outside the match, so that's not a match violation. Right?

Not exactly. The match requires that you certify that you're uncommitted for the time period you're trying to match into. So if you match Cat and then resign the prelim, that program can submit a match violation report on you, and you might lose everything (and be banned from the match). Would they do that? I don't know. A bad idea to find out.
Thank you!! Very helpful! this is so tricky.. omg

Can you tell me other non-clinical things that people consider as scut work that we do in Jacobi? Thanks
Another thing that I’ve heard from residents as non-clinical thing is that for your un-insured patients or homeless ones there are calls to make when you want to discharge them( probably regarding their after care). I don’t have further information regarding that!

8 categorical 1 transitional
You have really worked hard my friend, and for sure this one will pay off. You will successfully match this year. I have been following you since last year match and I have seen that you have double the number of interviews invite. Great job buddy.