IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Brookdale vs. Wyckoff Heights?

Members don't see this ad.

The wait is a killer. Anyone else experiencing anxiety? I feel, considering the competition this year, that 5-10 interviews are not enough to land a residency which is disturbing. I found out about newly accredited programs just now and missed out on that opportunity too. In 2020, 11.29 contiguous ranks guaranteed 90% match rate which is very frightening. How are you guys coping with the stress?

Members don't see this ad :)
The wait is a killer. Anyone else experiencing anxiety? I feel, considering the competition this year, that 5-10 interviews are not enough to land a residency which is disturbing. I found out about newly accredited programs just now and missed out on that opportunity too. In 2020, 11.29 contiguous ranks guaranteed 90% match rate which is very frightening. How are you guys coping with the stress?
I believe the 11.29 contiguous ranks relating to the 90% match rate is across all specialties and meant for US MD or DO student. If you see the NRMP match data for IMGs in Internal Medicine, the match rate levels to 90% with 8+ interviews. I could be wrong, BUT the key point to note about the Match process is that it is highly unpredictable. Your interview performance is what determines your Match. You will hear ample anecdotal evidence of how few did not match with 10+ and how some matched with 1 interview. As to dealing with the stress: It will pass too. Be patient and kind with yourself. Curious to know why you would consider 5-10 interviews as NOT sufficient to Match?

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

Attachments

• Screenshot (602).png
    Screenshot (602).png
    106.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot (603).png
    Screenshot (603).png
    92 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: 1 users
I believe the 11.29 contiguous ranks relating to the 90% match rate is across all specialties and meant for US MD or DO student. If you see the NRMP match data for IMGs in Internal Medicine, the match rate levels to 90% with 8+ interviews. I could be wrong, BUT the key point to note about the Match process is that it is highly unpredictable. Your interview performance is what determines your Match. You will hear ample anecdotal evidence of how few did not match with 10+ and how some matched with 1 interview. As to dealing with the stress: It will pass too. Be patient and kind with yourself. Curious to know why you would consider 5-10 interviews as NOT sufficient to Match?
If I read it wrong then I am happy to be wrong. I just am hearing stories from my friends that people didn't match with 10+ interviews. I feel I didn't perform the best during my interviews maybe and did blunders. Just stressed out because of the whole situation and how much competition there is. I also don't know what to do if I go unmatched which is also a frightening thought.

Thank you for responding and making me feel better.

• Care
If I read it wrong then I am happy to be wrong. I just am hearing stories from my friends that people didn't match with 10+ interviews. I feel I didn't perform the best during my interviews maybe and did blunders. Just stressed out because of the whole situation and how much competition there is. I also don't know what to do if I go unmatched which is also a frightening thought.

The unfortunate consequences of the match process is the lack of support and guidance for IMGs and often times an advice from a friend is a rumor heard from someone else that gets passed down to you. You have done all you could and prepared hard to stand out in a pool of competitive applicants. Believe in yourself and be kind to yourself. Seek comfort in friends or family.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I also want to apologize if my words have caused someone anxiety and increased their suffering. I never meant to hurt anyone and I completely understand if someone unintentionally got hurt by me. My friends told me stories that people with perfect resumes haven't matched while I thought that 5-10 interviews are very decent for this year considering the competition, how people have been hoarding interviews and how tough it has been for us IMG's. I still believe that luck is the biggest factor. I apologize again and I hope we ALL match.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Rokshana - Yes, I am a plastic surgery chief resident and yes I am an IMG. I worked very very hard (and also was lucky) to get where I am. So - nothing was served on a silver platter. And this perception of things are easier for AMG might be true but only to an extent. Everyone is fighting their own battle. My feelings are not hurt . I have received/given feedback innumerable time. I don't have slightest doubt that you mean well and come from a good place but I just felt that your comments are generally negative and condescending.

I know of lots of IMGs in surgery and surgical specialties and have mentored quite a few of them. I never discourage them or never talk down to them cos nothing is out of reach if you have the grit. And, many of them matched into surgical residencies. So, this assumption that since I am in Plastics and shouldn't be an IMG is not correct.

I know about lots of program where thank you letters, second look, expressing specific reasons why you want to be in that specific programs, having your mentors reach out to the PD matters. Unless the program specifically mentions against it - you can communicate if you truly feel that way. It may not help but it almost never hurts, Speaking from personal and shared experience!

The applicants are not really patting on their back. They are mostly sharing information and asking very relevant questions.

My initial comment was not just related to any single post of yours but from the culmination of your posts over a period of time. There are other folks on the thread who are attendings, senior residents etc. and give answers which seem very appropriate even if it's not what any applicant would want to hear. It's not the content - its the tone which leaves a lot to be desired and to a third person - it seems to be bordering on bullying! That's not the culture in our program (it shouldn't be the case anywhere else) and it just seemed very very odd to me. My sense is that lots of applicants share that concern but just don't want to get into it. A few of them have in the past and you just shut them down saying " this is why attendings don't get on this forum"

This sounds like one of those attendings who would yell at residents/medical students cos they want them to "do well". It's 2021 and unfortunately doesn't cut it any more. I truly respect my attendings and co-residents but not scared of them. I am not scared to raise my point if I see any system related issues and this is in a setting of very well-reputed university program where things are more set in stone. Things are generally more laidback when we go for our community hospital rotations.

I apologize for hijacking this thread since it's meant for IMG IM thread but I just felt - it needed to be said. I don't plan on replying any further but just wanted to share my thoughts .
well hopefully, this means you will start advising here..since you have had a grand total of 18 posts, all except the 2 you took the time to bash me were in the plastics thread.

and talk about being condescending and judgmental all in one fell swoop...you don't know me nor what type of attending i am...or how i teach or work with residents.

and its not my opinion that it is easier for AMGs...thats what the data says...i know that for the last few years, actual data and facts have taken a back seat to opinions and the "i feel like its a good idea" with no actual proof, but all you have to do is look at the NRMP data.

if your approach is all glass has full and deepak chopra...well that's fine...you do you...but that doesn't mean you get to tell me or anyone else how to say things or be judgmental on how i reply to others.

well hopefully, this means you will start advising here..since you have had a grand total of 18 posts, all except the 2 you took the time to bash me were in the plastics thread.

and talk about being condescending and judgmental all in one fell swoop...you don't know me nor what type of attending i am...or how i teach or work with residents.

and its not my opinion that it is easier for AMGs...thats what the data says...i know that for the last few years, actual data and facts have taken a back seat to opinions and the "i feel like its a good idea" with no actual proof, but all you have to do is look at the NRMP data.

if your approach is all glass has full and deepak chopra...well that's fine...you do you...but that doesn't mean you get to tell me or anyone else how to say things or be judgmental on how i reply to others.

Tone and "harshness" aside, I think its good to be pessimistic.

I think almost every IMG will know that one friend who spent 10 years trying for an ortho spot wasting their life for something totally unrealistic. Someone always wins the lottery, best not to spend your life buying tickets and to spend it making data driven decisions, agreed.

That being said, matching is possible, it is worth a shot , the process is hard but many people do make it ( when they have realistic goals ).

From an IMG who matched IM at his #2 and his #1 Fellowship. Good luck to all!

Reactions: 1 user

I think it is time to appreciate the opportunity and the hard work that got you these interviews. All of us here should trust ourselves and let rest be left to time... As it's time that is powerful and decides what's coming to our ways. Good luck

• Care
i only interveiwed at like 3 IM programs and 2 FM programs. i am us img with subpar step 1. I think i am heading to the soap. i just have the feeling. wish me luck

• Care

There are lots of different ways to mentor and guide besides posting on SDN. And none of them include being condescending to your mentees. As some else mentioned being pessimistic is fine but being harsh and condescending is not. Instead of spamming this thread any further, I am more than happy to discuss this offline. Please PM me if you feel the need to.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i only interveiwed at like 3 IM programs and 2 FM programs. i am us img with subpar step 1. I think i am heading to the soap. i just have the feeling. wish me luck
Believe that luck factors more than anything else. You'll get in. Believe in it.

• Care
There are lots of different ways to mentor and guide besides posting on SDN. And none of them include being condescending to your mentees. As some else mentioned being pessimistic is fine but being harsh and condescending is not. Instead of spamming this thread any further, I am more than happy to discuss this offline. Please PM me if you feel the need to.
No need.

University of Buffalo (Peds) vs Hurley Med Ctr/MSU (Med-Peds). Confused about ranking these two in 1st and 2nd position. Please help me!.

University of Buffalo (Peds) vs Hurley Med Ctr/MSU (Med-Peds). Confused about ranking these two in 1st and 2nd position. Please help me!.
Since they’re different specialties, you should really decide if you want to work with adults ever again or not. Location/prestige should be second.

Hey guys, is it true that carib students who did rotations in the US, attending schools not on New York state list can't do residency in New York???

Hey guys, is it true that carib students who did rotations in the US, attending schools not on New York state list can't do residency in New York???
Hey, you can do your residency in NY. You will have to get all your clerkships verified when you apply for state license.

Hello guys. Can anyone comment on University at Buffalo and University of California Riverside. They both seem like very strong programs. I can’t decide between them. I might possibly want to do cardiology. Both have great cardiology matches.

Anyone has information on Meharry IM in terms of quality of training? Future fellowships? Any information would be appreciated.

Hello guys. Can anyone comment on University at Buffalo and University of California Riverside. They both seem like very strong programs. I can’t decide between them. I might possibly want to do cardiology. Both have great cardiology matches.
Choose based on weather and taxes. Seriously. They're close enough in reputation and "quality" that, if you liked them both, flipping a coin is an equally valid decision making tool.

Please help me rank. This is my ROL.

1. Newark Beth Israel
2. Upmc mercy
3. UCf/ HCA orlando
4. St. Joseph paterson
5. Mount Sinai, Elmhurst
6. Creighton, Phoenix
7. Hackensack Meridian Mountainside
8. Western Reserve, Warren
9. Flushing
10. McLaren,Flint
11. Hurley, Flint
12. Mercyhealth, Rockford
13. HCA Arlington, TX

Hey guys, so I have a last minute confusion. Which one to rank higher out of
• Saint Mary’s Hospital, Waterbury CT
• Saint Michael’s Medical Center, Newark NJ

I’m looking for information in terms of
1. culture of the program (being with friendly and family-like residents/faculty is my topmost priority)
2. the hospital facility (very important for me cuz dark/crowded/dirty places do not make me happy)
3. Scut work (I understand both places will have some level of scut work but neither would be as bad as NYC. Just wanna know which one is relatively better)

I’m not considering fellowships at the moment (Will see how life goes), so that’s not a deciding factor at all. Prestige of the program doesn’t matter to me either. I definitely look for quality of training/better teaching/faculty but I believe both programs would be equal in that regard.
Location wise I believe both would be equal too because Waterbury and Newark both are not very livable cities and I understand I’d have to live 15-20 mins outside of those towns which should be fine.

Any more information about these 2 programs will be appreciated. If you don’t want to reply here please feel free to DM me. Thanks a lot!

@rokshana @gutonc I would highly appreciate your input since you both have experience and seem to know things about northeast programs very well. Thank you

1. culture of the program (being with friendly and family-like residents/faculty is my topmost priority)
2. the hospital facility (very important for me cuz dark/crowded/dirty places do not make me happy)
3. Scut work (I understand both places will have some level of scut work but neither would be as bad as NYC. Just wanna know which one is relatively better)

I’m not considering fellowships at the moment (Will see how life goes), so that’s not a deciding factor at all. Prestige of the program doesn’t matter to me either. I definitely look for quality of training/better teaching/faculty but I believe both programs would be equal in that regard.
Location wise I believe both would be equal too because Waterbury and Newark both are not very livable cities and I understand I’d have to live 15-20 mins outside of those towns which should be fine.

Any more information about these 2 programs will be appreciated. If you don’t want to reply here please feel free to DM me. Thanks a lot!

@rokshana @gutonc I would highly appreciate your input since you both have experience and seem to know things about northeast programs very well. Thank you
Since you called me out:

St. Mary's - Waterbury: I've heard of it
St. Michaels: Never heard of it

That's the entirety of useful input I can provide. Other than to say that Waterbury is a total s***hole, unless you're comparing it to Newark.

Since you called me out:

St. Mary's - Waterbury: I've heard of it
St. Michaels: Never heard of it

That's the entirety of useful input I can provide. Other than to say that Waterbury is a total s***hole, unless you're comparing it to Newark.

Thank you. I appreciate your input.

So I conclude that Newark is worse than Waterbury as far as location is concerned.

newark is probably worst than most cities in America tbh

I thought so. However, people who work there live outside of Newark like 15-20 mins drive away. Then it should be fine.
Same goes with Waterbury. People live outside of the town.
I am trying to pick the lesser evil here to rank higher than the other, which will largely depend on the factors of the program itself that I have mentioned above.

I thought so. However, people who work there live outside of Newark like 15-20 mins drive away. Then it should be fine.
Same goes with Waterbury. People live outside of the town.
I am trying to pick the lesser evil here to rank higher than the other, which will largely depend on the factors of the program itself that I have mentioned above.
I have a friend in St.Mary. He says it’s a family like program, but there’s not much support from PD for fellowship. Also, the Trinity Health that owns the Hospital does not provide enough funding for example they had less staff support during covid and they had to pull out residents from wards to cover icus. I have no idea about the other program to compare!

Like gutonc, I don’t know anything about st marys and know very little about st mike’s ...so probably about location for the most part since you aren’t interested in fellowship. If fellowship is a concern, then typically , the chief is guaranteed their choice of in house fellowships.

I d rather be in Newark than where I am nowadays...sighs

Like gutonc, I don’t know anything about st marys and know very little about st mike’s ...so probably about location for the most part since you aren’t interested in fellowship. If fellowship is a concern, then typically , the chief is guaranteed their choice of in house fellowships.

Thank you for that information. Any more idea about the culture of the program at Saint Michael’s? Ever heard anything positive or negative about it?

Also I’m assuming since it’s location is surrounded by so many big name academic hospitals, most complex cases would get transferred from it? Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

Hey everyone,
joining in late this time.
Kindly help me rank these IM programs:

Guthrie, pa
st vincent toledo
sisters of charity,ny
st joseph ann arbor
Uni California riverside(new program)
Conemaugh
Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
Charleston area medical center,WV

creds: 256/246/pass/237 2016 need visa

UCR seems like a great program. They have a great fellowship program. It’s a “new” program but the infrastructure has been there and they’ve been a program. It’s just been split into 2 programs. I would rank it first if I was you.
fair enough. gotcha

fair enough. gotcha
I‘m stuck between UCR and University at Buffalo. I think this year IMGs have an opportunity to get into UCR since it was accredited late in the cycle. I don’t think an opportunity like this will come again.

How is everyone holding up? The anxiety is killing me.

Uptil today I was mentally too occupied in gathering information about the programs/locations that are on my ROL. Had an absolute crazy time in figuring out my ROL. But since that’s out of the way starting today, I’m hopping on the bandwagon of match anxiety!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone’s ECFMG status report update on March 4th? I’ve been hearing of stories about people’s report updating to March 4th. Might be an indicator for something.

Did anyone’s ECFMG status report update on March 4th? I’ve been hearing of stories about people’s report updating to March 4th. Might be an indicator for something.
I just looked at mine and It said updated 03/04/2021. interesting :unsure:

After doing some data analysis, it seems like most people who had their ECFMG status report updated on March 4th were individuals that have already graduated medical school. People who have not graduated, did not get an update on their status report. I don’t think it is anything significant.

After doing some data analysis, it seems like most people who had their ECFMG status report updated on March 4th were individuals that have already graduated medical school. People who have not graduated, did not get an update on their status report. I don’t think it is anything significant.
I didn't get an update on mine. It was last updated in October. Also I am a graduate. Is there any significance?

Last edited: