IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys, this is wild, I matched, I feel so incredibly grateful right now and would like to thank all of you for the support and love you have shown me. I hope every single person here achieves their dream and hope some of you may become my colleagues!!! Congratulations 🍺🍺🍺

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
For those who did not match, I wish you the best of luck for SOAP. I will not talk how perseverance helped me overcome the obstacle because it is a bunch of horse manure.

I have been in your shoes for the past two years, and I know exactly how you feel. So if you need any help or guidance, please do not hesitate to message me. I will regularly check my SDN account. Love you all.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who did not match, I wish you the best of luck for SOAP. I will not talk how perseverance helped me overcome the obstacle because it is a bunch of horse manure.

I have been in your shoes for the past two years, and I know exactly how you feel. So if you need any help or guidance, please do not hesitate to message me. I will regularly check my SDN account. Love you all.
Good luck SP!

Reactions: 1 user
I matched!!!
Congrats to everyone who matched!
1 question - Has anyone here matched with more or less similar credentials - yog 2018, 1st step - 232, 2nd step-247, ECFMG certified(without CS), 3 US lors from observership, NO USCE,3 pubs.
Emphasis on NO USCE :D
Thanks in advance and good luck
I just did today, with fewer observerships and even more years out of medical school.

I am stoked. Matched into IM! I can't thank you guys enough for the support. If anyone has applied to SOAP and needs any form of help, please let me know. I will try my best to help and give back.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
1 question - Has anyone here matched with more or less similar credentials - yog 2018, 1st step - 232, 2nd step-247, ECFMG certified(without CS), 3 US lors from observership, NO USCE,3 pubs.
I matched IM with absolutely NO USCE and generic home country LoRs. Yog -2018, Step 1 - 249 , Step 2 - 267, certified via OET pathway 1 , 3 pubs.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Super happy to say that I matched, after getting only two interviews.

Never give up and fight till the end!

I MATCHED.

Similar credentials, ECFMG certified *with* CS, 4 US LORs from top 10 US school, about 4 months of USCE (clinical clerkship and informal rotation during post-doc at said institution).

Hope you matched!

Reactions: 2 users
I know this isn't the best time to do this but just wondering, anyone planning to go on vacation before intern year?

Reactions: 1 users
congrats everyone who matched.
For those who matched on 2nd or 3rd try, what did you do to improve your application?
I didn't match and trying to figure out what to do to improve my chances next cycle.
Thanks

congrats everyone who matched.
For those who matched on 2nd or 3rd try, what did you do to improve your application?
I didn't match and trying to figure out what to do to improve my chances next cycle.
Thanks
I matched on my 5th try. Got 2 interviews. I did not do anything different with my application, used the same LORs and just edited the personal statements a little. I tried to stand out during the interviews. I made sure I sold myself when they asked the question " Tell me about yourself" and prayed everyday.

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats on your well deserved victory. All I ask moving forward. Take care of your friends and colleagues who did not match. They are vulnerable, sad and in a dark place. Be that light for them.

To infinity and beyond. Love you all.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Congratulations to all of you. Maybe I’ll see you in my Program.

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations and love to all!!!

I am very excited about the idea that I might get to see some of you guys at my program. My real life friends/family had no idea that I was living a secret life on this forum where I had a group of anonymous friends and support system! This sounds cliche but it’s true. Can we have a code or something that we can say/do and will be able to recognize people from this forum?
For example, wearing a specific colored scrubs on a particular day? I don’t know how realistic this is. I’m just suggesting. Please come up with more ideas guys!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations and love to all!!!

I am very excited about the idea that I might get to see some of you guys at my program. My real life friends/family had no idea that I was living a secret life on this forum where I had a group of anonymous friends and support system! This sounds cliche but it’s true. Can we have a code or something that we can say/do and will be able to recognize people from this forum?
For example, wearing a specific colored scrubs on a particular day? I don’t know how realistic this is. I’m just suggesting. Please come up with more ideas guys!
This is a cute idea. Let’s share the names of the programs we matched at tomorrow and if two people match at the same place they can meet each other that way!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
This is a cute idea. Let’s share the names of the programs we matched at tomorrow and if two people match at the same place they can meet each other that way!

That’s a good an easy way. But I just feel like I’m not very comfortable sharing the name of the program I matched at tomorrow. Especially if it’s a small one with 8-10 residents. I am a non-traditional applicant and easily recognizable. Not sure if I’d want to put out my identity on a public forum. However, with co-residents it’s a different story!

Post Match day...lol. Typical IMGs no one wants to give us an update where there matched or what region. Guys please give some of coming up next year hope. Let us know where you matched, what number on your ROL, any advice etc

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Post Match day...lol. Typical IMGs no one wants to give us an update where there matched or what region. Guys please give some of coming up next year hope. Let us know where you matched, what number on your ROL, any advice etc

Midwest. I’m from the Midwest as well. Sorry I can’t be more specific than this as of yet. At #1 on ROL.

I will be happy to answer any questions though for advice/guidance!

Post Match day...lol. Typical IMGs no one wants to give us an update where there matched or what region. Guys please give some of coming up next year hope. Let us know where you matched, what number on your ROL, any advice et
Hey - my wife had applied this year and she matched at Hackensack University Medical Center in NJ. I am graduating my training and moving to NY/NJ in July. So that was a big consideration for us. I was a bit surprised by lack of response as well tbh! I was not an applicant but this seems like a very cohesive group overall.

U.S. IMG, Step 1: 21x, Step 2: 23x/pass, YOG 2016, finishing up a PhD 🌍 I dual-applied to Med-Peds & IM (230 programs in total) & wrote custom personal statements for most programs I applied to

In the end, not including pre-match I ranked 18 programs (in order of specialty & climate) & matched at #12, a new community-based IM program in California right by all these national parks 🤩 It was the only non-university-based or -affiliated program on my list, but I chose to rank it above more established east coast programs for the location 🏜️

I hope I made the right call, tbh I'm pretty shocked I matched so far from the top of my list, but all things considered, I guess I should consider myself lucky 🌄

Last edited:
Hi, I matched at my #1 in the Northeast. I can’t be too specific. Non-US IMG. I would also be happy to answer specific questions you may have for your application later this year.
Some general advice would be to really work on making your ERAS CV sound professional and being honest about all your experiences and making sure to flesh them out if they were meaningful.