IMG Licensure in California after Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Hip

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am having trouble getting my PTAL done in time for this match which is not the worst case because my top 3 programs were non California programs. However I was wondering if PTAL is still necessary after completion of residency in another state? This process has been messy and the hospitals sending incorrect L6 forms has made things worse.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, there's good news and bad news.

The good news is that you won't need a PTAL after a residency in another state.

The bad news is that you'll need a full Cali license, which basically requires the same paperwork as the PTAL -- in fact it requires more. But you can start the Cali licensing process once you complete your PGY-2, so you'd have a whole year. But ultimately you'll still need similar paperwork from all the same players as now.

I am somewhat surprised that any Cali programs actually interview without the PTAL, given how much of a pain it all is.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were you and I were planning on moving to California after residency, I'd just get a ptal now regardless. If you're already most of the way through, finishing it will make it a fair bit faster to get a California license after residency.

That is, it won't be needed but having half the paperwork predone will make your life easier.

Reactions: 1 users
No, ignore the above advise, if you don't need a PTAL it would be stupid (and costly) to get one. You will still have to complete all the same paperwork again anyway. Just make sure when it comes to getting your license you apply well in advance. As an IMG it took me almost a year to get my license after completing residency in another state (not helped by the fact they lost my residency paperwork twice).

No, ignore the above advise, if you don't need a PTAL it would be stupid (and costly) to get one. You will still have to complete all the same paperwork again anyway. Just make sure when it comes to getting your license you apply well in advance. As an IMG it took me almost a year to get my license after completing residency in another state (not helped by the fact they lost my residency paperwork twice).
Could you elaborate on what you mean? Is it less costly to get the alternative of ptal? Would appreciate more information on this matter.

Did they still require L6 forms from every rotation or was the required paperwork moreso from your residency program?

they dont need a form from every rotation if you did every rotation at your medical school hospitals (or say that you did). Which is what I would advise. Best to leave off any electives etc for this.

It's not less costly to get a full licence vs. PTAL, my point is it is more costly to apply for BOTH when you don't need a PTAL as in the scenario described above.

Reactions: 1 user