****IMG Official 2017-2018 General Surgery Residency Interview Invites/ Rejections Thread****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is it for prelim or cat or no clarification?
well I think the program is not so excited about IMG's in general. I met a couple of attending/residents from that program during ACS and although we had really good interactions I received a rejection for a spot (so I guess both cat and prelim) n their program.

Members don't see this ad.

and sorry to hear, all the rejections are somewhat frustrating... i am more than ready for another invite
I am not so upset about the rejections to be honest. I just appreciate their work ethics that they are sending the results out asap so we are not going crazy. I hope I can get invites programs who are actually looking forward to working with me :)

Reactions: 1 user
Good way to see it. So I can add another rejection from Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an invitation today from Harlem Hospital (Affiliated with the Columbia University). I'm sure we all will get interviews during this month. Good luck everyone.

There is no mention in the letter, but I don't think if it matters at this point. Let's assume that's for prelim so if it's a categorical, I'll get more excited ;)

That is true. Happy for you man. Hope I have some coming my way. I only applied cat. waiting now.

I got an interview at Harlem too and I only applied to categorical.
I think i missed that program during application time. Is it like a normal match program, i wonder why i din't apply there -.-

Hey that's pretty awesome. I wanted to ask you about the Brooklyn hospital interview. Is there any trick you did to take it. I mean your credentials are amazing but I was wondering. Thanks
I only send them a notice of update to my application since my CS score report got updated on early Oct, and a mini context of interest into their program with my entire credentials. Not sure if this did the trick. But it was a while since I send the email by the time i got the interview offer.

Last edited:
Just got a second rejection from Georgetown, this time for prelim i think.

I only send them a notice of update to my application since my CS score report got updated on early Oct, and a mini context of interest into their program with my entire credentials. Not sure if this did trick. But I was a while since I send the email by the time i got the interview offer.
Thank you very much and good luck on your interview!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Houston Methodist Hospital - rejection. I don't feel like people will send any invites after this point. I don't know why

Houston Methodist Hospital - rejection. I don't feel like people will send any invites after this point. I don't know why
I understand you just too well. But after seeing the list in the main discussion it seems like some people have way more interviews lined up than necessary and probably will cancel quite a few (i mean who actually goes on 22 interviews :heckyeah:)

I understand you just too well. But after seeing the list in the main discussion it seems like some people have way more interviews lined up than necessary and probably will cancel quite a few (i mean who actually goes on 22 interviews :heckyeah:)
You mean AMG & IMG list right. Yeah I hope so. I don't know how they can get those many. I had to book one for 2 weeks later and the flight ticket money hurt so much :( I wonder if anyone would be interested in doing mock interviews??

You mean AMG & IMG list right. Yeah I hope so. I don't know how they can get those many. I had to book one for 2 weeks later and the flight ticket money hurt so much :( I wonder if anyone would be interested in doing mock interviews??
Hi cold blood,

I have an interview on wednesday the 8th, I would be happy to practice.

I have an interview at brookdale in NYC on 11/14. Anyone is willing to trade for any of the later dates? I would truly appreciate it. Please let me know or PM me.

I got a rejection from Penn State and gundhersen but besides that this week has been quiet for me.. :yawn:

I know that this might not be the right place. But I am kinda worried about the tell me about an interesting case question. Could anyone help me out on this one ?? Does it have to be a surgical case, some of the cases I saw were cool, but I am not sure if the PD thinks the same..

Prelim invitation from Yale today. Stay possitive, It's turn for IMGs to shine. Good luck everyone.

Prelim invitation from Yale today. Stay possitive, It's turn for IMGs to shine. Good luck everyone.
Congrats! do you mind sharing your stats and what other interviews and rejections you have? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
YOG 2015, step1&2ck: in 250s range, Postdoc fellow in Ivy League school since last year. 2months rotation in US. One chapter, 2 papers, couple of posters and orals.

Congrats! do you mind sharing your stats and what other interviews and rejections you have? Thanks!
Thanks. I applied to 120 programs and just got 2,3 invites yet. Keep hopeful. We can do it!

added st. lukes.... I even got 2 rejections from them +pity+:laugh::laugh:

Interviews:
categorical
  1. UTMB Galveston, TX (9/18)
  2. Carle Foundation Hospital, IL (10/3)
  3. Brookdale University and Medical Center, NY (10/12)
  4. University of Central Florida/HCA Ocala, FL (10/18)
  5. Brooklyn Hospital Center, NY (10/23)
  6. Waterbury Hospital, CT (10/24)
  7. St Agnes Healthcare Center, MD (10/26)
  8. Flushing Medical Center, NY (11/1)
  9. Harlem Hospital, NY (11/1)
  10. St Mary’s Hospital, CT (11/2)
  11. SUNY Upstate Medical University, NY (11/13)
Preliminary
  1. University of Pennsylvania, PA (10/2)
  2. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN (10/20)
Rejections:
  1. University of Tennessee Saint Thomas Hospital, TN(10/4)
  2. Memorial University Medical Center, GA (10/4)
  3. McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, IL (10/9)
  4. Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center, MI (10/12)
  5. Mercy Health St. Elizabeth Youngstown, OH (10/16)
  6. Creighton University, NE (10/17)
  7. Virginia Mason Medical Center, WA (10/17)
  8. Brigham and Women's Hospital, MA (10/18)
  9. NY presbyterian/Queens Hospital, NY (10/19)
  10. Union Memorial Hospital, MD (10/19)
  11. Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center Program, PA (10/20)
  12. Southern Illinois University Program, IL (10/20)
  13. The Ohio State University, OH (10/20)
  14. FSU-TMH Tallahssee, FL (10/23)
  15. University of Florida, FL (10/23)
  16. University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine, SD (10/23)
  17. University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago (Mount Sinai) Program, IL (10/24)
  18. University of Maryland, MD (10/30)
  19. Mount Sinai St. Luke’s Roosevelt, NY (11/1)
  20. Eastern Virginia Medical School (11/2)
  21. St. Elizabeth's Medical Center, MA (11/2)
  22. Stony Brook School of Medicine (11/6)
  23. University of Arizona, AZ (11/15)
  24. Summa Health System/NEOMED, PA (11/16)
  25. Staten Island University Hospital, NY (11/17)
  26. University of North Dakota, ND (11/17)
  27. Emory University, GA (11/20)
  28. Medical College of Wisconsin (11/21)
  29. Dartmouth-Hitchcock, NY (11/21)
  30. St. Lukes, PA (11/27)

It's been days that I heard from anywhere, even for rejections. Is it the same for all??

For me yes. Got a rejection today from University of Wisconsin but besides that- silence

Nothing since 2-3 weeks. Total silence. :/

I am wondering if the season is over or if there’s still a chance for IMGs to get ivs in December. Anyone have any idea?

Hi is there anyone here who has interviewed at WellSpan/York Hospital, PA?

Has anyone here interviewed at UPMC Pinnacle in Harrisburg PA, and if so, are you going back for a 2nd visit?

Has anyone received any positive response from the people from the program after the interview?

Hello, anyone knows if Rutgers has a pre interview dinner for prelim interviews and anyone interviewed there yet ?

I have an interview at brookdale in NYC on 11/14. Anyone is willing to trade for any of the later dates? I would truly appreciate it. Please let me know or PM me.
Dear friend, How was your interview? Was it for cat or pre? please give input

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share a HOT TIP for anyone who is applying for Surgery this year....

Program: Research Medical Center/Menorah Medical Center Program
ERAS ID: 4401900388

411:
- This is a brand spanking new surgery program
- Was just approved be ACGME today, 1/25/18
- I was told they doubt they will get any applicants for their surgery program since they JUST started accepting applications today and are so late in the game
- My source said verbatim "I will interview who ever applies" (I do not know how true this is)
- All interviews will be conducted Feb 9 & 10
- She said they doubt they will get enough applicants to interview to fill their quota on match day, but they will still go thru the match so they can pick up surgery applicants from SOAP who didn't match.
- They can do J1 visas

- Bottom line: IF you apply and actually get an interview, there is a high likelihood that you will match into surgery.

GOOD LUCK!!!

There is a NEW General Surgery Residency Program, based at Osceola Regional Medical Center in Central Florida (Osceola County within greater Orlando region) that has just received initial accreditation from the ACGME for 15 categorical positions and is seeking immediate applicants. Applications should be submitted through ERAS (the NRMP program code is 1587440C1). Qualified applicants will be selected for interviews.

This program is part of the University of Central Florida (UCF)-Hospital Corporation of America consortium and will accept 3 categorical residents per year. The program will be directed by Dr. Philip Kondylis. Osceola Regional Medical Center is a 400-bed level II trauma hospital. There is a VA and Nemours Children’s Hospital-Orlando for pedi surg.

I dont know about visa status but hopefully J1 will be a non-issue.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share a HOT TIP for anyone who is applying for Surgery this year....

Program: Research Medical Center/Menorah Medical Center Program
ERAS ID: 4401900388

411:
- This is a brand spanking new surgery program
- Was just approved be ACGME today, 1/25/18
- I was told they doubt they will get any applicants for their surgery program since they JUST started accepting applications today and are so late in the game
- My source said verbatim "I will interview who ever applies" (I do not know how true this is)
- All interviews will be conducted Feb 9 & 10
- She said they doubt they will get enough applicants to interview to fill their quota on match day, but they will still go thru the match so they can pick up surgery applicants from SOAP who didn't match.
- They can do J1 visas

- Bottom line: IF you apply and actually get an interview, there is a high likelihood that you will match into surgery.

GOOD LUCK!!!
I applied and they rejected me :(

Hey everyone! This is a very helpful thread. Would any of you like to share the outcomes of your match? I am sure it will be helpful for lot of future applicants. Thanks!