IMG or AMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinestarmed

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I am a pre medical student in the US, and not an American citizen/resident. I will apply for medical school and (hopefully) become a doctor, but my question is, after residency, will I be considered an IMG or an AMG for graduating from a US medical school?

Given the case I am not offered an H1B sponsorship after my training, I would be open to practice in my country, but practicing in the US would be very beneficial for my career interests. Thank you, I am new here!

Members don't see this ad.

You will be an AMG that requires a visa.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to practice in the US attend a medical school here
I will, the hopefully was to actually become a doctor, my country's medical education starts from an undergraduate level, would have to restart my postsecondary education if I wanted to leave the country.

Do hospitals typically sponsor visas for AMGs requiring one?

Entirely depends on the program and the H1B lottery. Academic institutions can be exempt from the H1B lottery cap, so IDK but maybe going to an academic residency might help? For the most accurate advice you should always consult with an immigration attorney.

Reactions: 1 users
Do hospitals typically sponsor visas for AMGs requiring one?
Some programs only support J1 visas.
Many do not support visas of any type (whether AMG or FMG).
It varies by region, specialty, program and year, so it's difficult to give a precise answer.

It varies by region, specialty, program and year, so it's difficult to give a precise answer.
Would I be able to complete residency on a J1 visa?

Does it matter the type of program I apply to? I would like to train at an academic hospital (Langone, Hopkins, etc) since they seem to offer visa sponsorship. I will graduate from medical school in 2028 and (at least for now) I am interested in radiology or neurology.

Would I be able to complete residency on a J1 visa?

Does it matter the type of program I apply to? I would like to train at an academic hospital (Langone, Hopkins, etc) since they seem to offer visa sponsorship. I will graduate from medical school in 2028 and (at least for now) I am interested in radiology or neurology.
I know of folks who have completed residency on a J1. I have also had well-qualified international AMG's fail to match due to visa issues (limited number of programs willing to support a visa). It is heart-breaking.

Many (most?) students would also love to match at fancy academic programs, making competition for those spots particularly fierce.

Immigration is an area in which my ability to predict the future is particularly weak! It changes all the time in ways we might never have imagined.

Last edited:
For residency you'll most likely need an H1B visa. Depending how long your residency is (if 5 years >), and given you'll have institutional support, you most likely can apply for a green card and become a permanent resident. Your status as a skilled worker will be favored towards a status change.

For residency you'll most likely need an H1B visa. Depending how long your residency is (if 5 years >), and given you'll have institutional support, you most likely can apply for a green card and become a permanent resident. Your status as a skilled worker will be favored towards a status change.
It can take more than a decade to receive it, though.

• Wow

Are programs in less desirable geographic areas and those in less competitive specialties perhaps more likely to sponsor a physician's visa application?

Members don't see this ad :)
It can take more than a decade to receive it, though.

I think this depends on what country you're from. There is a per-country cap for employment-based status change green cards, so if you're from a high population country with a lot of immigrants (like India), your case can be backlogged for an eternity.

There's always talks and bills to try to remove this cap, but nothing ever gets done.

There is a per-country cap for employment-based status change green cards, so if you're from a high population country with a lot of immigrants (like India), your case can be backlogged for an eternity.
This has been my experience with all of my students!
Their countries of origin have ranged from all over Asia to all over Latin America.
...and one from Canada.

Last edited:
This has been my experience with all of my students!
Their countries of origin have ranged from all over Asia to all over Latin America.
...and one from Canada.

I definitely feel their pain, my family’s application took about 5 years to process and that was considered fairly quick. I’ve spoken to an Indian family who waited 18 years for their GC to get finalized.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
I definitely feel their pain, my family’s application took about 5 years to process and that was considered fairly quick. I’ve spoken to an Indian family who waited 18 years for their GC to get finalized.

Dang I couldn’t imagine that. I was lucky with mine and my moms, we got in less than 6 months from when we applied

I know of folks who have completed residency on a J1. I have also had well-qualified international AMG's fail to match due to visa issues (limited number of programs willing to support a visa). It is heart-breaking.

Many (most?) students would also love to match at fancy academic programs, making competition for those spots particularly fierce.

Immigration is an area in which my ability to predict the future is particularly weak! It changes all the time in ways we might never have imagined.
I understand, didn't want to sound entitled mentioning the academic hospital training, from what I knew it is easier for them giving H1B visas to international AMGs, I would not mind applying to any type of program as long as I am able to do my residency.

What do the international AMGs without a match normally do after this? I understand you need to complete a year of residency to be a fully accredited doctor.

Last edited:
I understand you need to complete a year of residency to be a fully accredited doctor.
In some states, you need to complete an entire residency in the same specialty to be licensed. A single year is insufficient.

Reactions: 2 users

I was expecting an H1B was needed almost universally for residency, at least for my program, which is 5 years. It would be a dream come true if I am given a permanent resident status, my country is not the best place to practice medicine, although, being able to practice for a year or two after residency here is still appealing.

I was expecting an H1B was needed almost universally for residency, at least for my program, which is 5 years. It would be a dream come true if I am given a permanent resident status, my country is not the best place to practice medicine, although, being able to practice for a year or two after residency here is still appealing.

A petition for adjustment of status from an H1B to a green card shouldn’t be a big problem for a physician. The PITA comes from actually getting that H1B/other visa.

I think this depends on what country you're from. There is a per-country cap for employment-based status change green cards, so if you're from a high population country with a lot of immigrants (like India), your case can be backlogged for an eternity.
How hard is it for a Mexican with the possibility to become a dual (French-Mexican) citizen?

Last edited:
A petition for adjustment of status from an H1B to a green card shouldn’t be a big problem for a physician. The PITA comes from actually getting that H1B/other visa.
I get it, thank you very much! I know I still have 4 years of medical school, but I guess it is more accomplishable if you begin the process as early as possible.