IMG without USCE; chances for 2020 match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterPhi

Reaction score
I am an IMG (YOG: 2018) cutrently doing internship/foundation year/Housejob in my home country which will end in may 2019. I plan on applying for the 2020 match. I have appeared in the step1 (result pending) and plan on appearing in the step2ck by December 2018 and CS in June/July 2019..the problem is I have zero USCE and zero publications.
If I get good enough score on the USMLE (255+), what are my chances of matching into the following residency programs (IM, Neurology, Psychiatry, General Surgery) with just good USMLE scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Low. And unquantifiable without Step scores.

Reactions: 1 users
Even thinking about this before your step 1 comes back is a waste of time. Wait for that score to come back, and if it's super high then maybe you have a shot.

If it's just average then the question will simply be "how do I get USCE during the year following the completion of my internship?"

Reactions: 2 users
As everyone said, hypothetical are irrelevant. Every student that takes Step 1 wants/hopes/believes in getting a 240, 250, 260 etc but that isn't always the case. How were your CBSSA exam scores? Were you consistently scoring high? What about your UWorld percentage/average? Anyways the NRMP releases a document that shows the percentage of people that match with a wide range of scores. Here's the data: www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf

the problem is I have zero USCE and zero publications.

For this one you can do something about it. Start calling programs that offer observerships. For instance I know University of Miami hospitals have one. You need SOME sort of US clinical experience. Even with a high step score it will be tough unless your medical school it well-regarded internationally.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
I have almost the same credentials that MasterPhi talked about. IMG with a 254 step 1 and first attempt pass step 2cs.
I am considering taking step 2ck during September. Hence I will not be able to apply until mid-October . I also have only 1 month of USCE and 1 publication .
What do you think, should I apply in this year's MATCH or waiting until 2020? Would that be a good idea if apply only for SOAP?

Hey guys,
I have almost the same credentials that MasterPhi talked about. IMG with a 254 step 1 and first attempt pass step 2cs.
I am considering taking step 2ck during September. Hence I will not be able to apply until mid-October . I also have only 1 month of USCE and 1 publication .
What do you think, should I apply in this year's MATCH or waiting until 2020? Would that be a good idea if apply only for SOAP?
What are you looking to match in, and when did you graduate? What have you been doing since then?

When you have a step 1 score that high and a CS pass, I think you could give it a go. What I would do is apply as soon as ERAS opens and then re-submit your USMLE transcript when you get the result in October--you may get an interview based on the step 1 score, but they will need the CK score to rank you for sure. At a minimum, you would have a shot in the SOAP.

Of course, that route would be risky. If funds are tight and you really want to just apply once, OR if you have realistic route to obtaining more USCE over the next year (which would greatly improve your application), then waiting until 2020 may improve your outcome.

What are you looking to match in, and when did you graduate? What have you been doing since then?

When you have a step 1 score that high and a CS pass, I think you could give it a go. What I would do is apply as soon as ERAS opens and then re-submit your USMLE transcript when you get the result in October--you may get an interview based on the step 1 score, but they will need the CK score to rank you for sure. At a minimum, you would have a shot in the SOAP.

Of course, that route would be risky. If funds are tight and you really want to just apply once, OR if you have realistic route to obtaining more USCE over the next year (which would greatly improve your application), then waiting until 2020 may improve your outcome.

Hey many thanks for the answer, really appreciate it!
You are right I omitted a few important information. I graduated 4 months ago. I was thinking of applying this year only to IM prelim programs. I will choose only IMG friendly programs ( >50% IMGs) in order to have more chances getting interviews. I will then try to apply again for 2020 MATCH for an IM program - but hopefully with considerable USCE until then. I think that this could work. What do you think?

hey guys...give us an update if you want
same here..took in feb 2019 step 1:249, and in june im taking step 2cs and in august im taking the step2ck
yog: 2017...no USCE...don't know if i can make it for the september applications...plz give me some good advice

Make sure you have all Steps done before you apply. No USCE is a problem because you will lack letters than attest that you can take care of patients.

yes..makes sense...another question is: should the LORs be from the faculty we are interested in? Lets say I'm interested in hem/onco for adults...would it be bad to take a LOR from a pediatric hem/onco rotation? Believe me it was hard to find another faculty member from adult hem/onco to sponsor me..

hey guys...give us an update if you want
same here..took in feb 2019 step 1:249, and in june im taking step 2cs and in august im taking the step2ck
yog: 2017...no USCE...don't know if i can make it for the september applications...plz give me some good advice
It doesn't seem like applying this year is feasible for you if you aren't going to have CK and step 3 scores before 9/15, let alone any USCE.

You need to have at least one LOR from the specialty you're applying to. Any adult IM doc will do. Beyond that your letters can be from any specialty.

Based on your step 1 score you have the smarts and the formula for a successful application, but don't shoot yourself in the foot by rushing things along. Be methodical, get your ducks in a row, and I suspect you will be successful in 2021 if you apply to appropriate programs.

It doesn't seem like applying this year is feasible for you if you aren't going to have CK and step 3 scores before 9/15, let alone any USCE.

You need to have at least one LOR from the specialty you're applying to. Any adult IM doc will do. Beyond that your letters can be from any specialty.

Based on your step 1 score you have the smarts and the formula for a successful application, but don't shoot yourself in the foot by rushing things along. Be methodical, get your ducks in a row, and I suspect you will be successful in 2021 if you apply to appropriate programs.
Thank you so much for the helpful advice..even though it's a whole lot of time from my YOG until i start a residency, i will try to manage this time wisely..

Thank you so much for the helpful advice..even though it's a whole lot of time from my YOG until i start a residency, i will try to manage this time wisely..
To be honest, I missed your YOG in the original post. It's not ideal to have a 3 year gap either. But you can't apply with *zero* USCE so if that's not an option before September, just make sure you're doing something meaningful during this gap.