Immunology book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MetalDoctor

metalhead
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, the required book we have is "Case Studies in Immunology" by Rosen and Geha. As the name implies, it is only case studies !!

The tacher mentioned another book: "Immunology" by Roitt et al. but I didn't find it helpful since we don't study all the details mentioned in it and the teacher doesn't seem to abide by it (he jumps from a bit in chapter 4 to another paragraph in chapter 7 then goes to chapter 5...)

Any suggestions on immunology books that don't contain unnecessary details?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the required book we have is "Case Studies in Immunology" by Rosen and Geha. As the name implies, it is only case studies !!

The tacher mentioned another book: "Immunology" by Roitt et al. but I didn't find it helpful since we don't study all the details mentioned in it and the teacher doesn't seem to abide by it (he jumps from a bit in chapter 4 to another paragraph in chapter 7 then goes to chapter 5...)

Any suggestions on immunology books that don't contain unnecessary details?

the book i used in undergrad is "Immunology" by Goldsby, Kindt, Osborne and Kuby. the immunology bible is arguably by Janeway et al. i'm not sure they'll be short on detail like you're looking for, but they do a good job of explaining both in text and figure form. no class is going to cover all the details in any textbook. you may have to just glean the necessary information or glance at the detail for explanatory purposes only. in most cases, i find that for immunology textbooks, the figures and tables explain the key points and you really only need to understand and remember those.

you could also try one of the board review books for less detail and more summary -- i would recommend those for review more than first-time learning though.

Find the thinnest immuno book in your library/bookstore.

Micro texts also have a short chapter on immuno. It's good for the basics.

Members don't see this ad :)
"The Immune System" by Peter Parham seems to be pretty good, although that's only after a week of using it.

Immunobiology by Janeway is pretty good...I heard many ppl use it for studying for step 1

Concise Medical Immunology by Doan, Melvold, and Waltenbaugh is excellent. Plus, it's less than 250 pages and really, really readable.

If you are having a hard time understanding the concepts I highly recomend "How the Immune System Works" by Lauren Sompayrac. It is only 100 pages long, reads like a novel but has text book detail. It was my saving grace in my immuno class last year for me to finally understand the material, but it shouldnt be used as your only source of information (its a concept book) but since your sylabus is your main source anyways its an excellent option for a 2nd source.

Review of Medical Microbiology and Immunology by Levinson. My class also uses the Parham text but references in the syllabus jump around like crazy... this book is good for review and big picture stuff (plus, there are a fair amount of practice questions).

I agree that the Levinson book has been helpful for me so far. It is an excellent review, and helps to provide any detail to supplement things that are not clear in lecture/notes, etc.

thanks alot everyone :)

I am surprized none mentioned Janeway. It is a pretty good book.

I second "How the immune system works".

I'm surprised no one has mentioned HY Immunology yet! It's really the bare essentials with none of the extraneous details.

i liked the books titled immunology for medical students and high-yield immuno

For someone who has never had immuno, I second How the immune system works. So nicely written, clear, concepts explained rather than factoids presented. And you can easily read it in a day or two.

thanks alot guys, actually I bought the high field immunology because my exam is after 7 days so I figured out that I'll barelu have time for this book, the casy studies, and the class notes. Thanks again. :)