Immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEG@COOL

M0DE 01
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I think that this is probably the hardest class ive ever taken. Thats all.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I think that this is probably the hardest class ive ever taken. Thats all.

i agree it was a challenge, but it was also the most interesting class i've ever taken. the body's natural ability to defend itself is absolutely amazing. the fact it was interesting made the hard work worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought immuno was probably the easiest upper level bio class I've taken, but I also thought it was the most interesting.

The hardest was definitely developmental embryology lab.

I hated my prof and the immunology lecture, but lab was a whole different story. Many of the assays and procedures were very interesting.

I thought immuno was probably the easiest upper level bio class I've taken, but I also thought it was the most interesting.

I second that. I took grad level immunology and thought it was a really interesting class. Didn't really get bored.

I took grad level developmental biology (probably exactly like developmental embryology) in that same semester :scared: it was pretty rough! I guess I went in alittle naive thinking about how much fun it would be to learn about a developing organism...lets just say that knowing P.M.A.T. was not going to save you in that class...zygonema, pachynema....list goes on ;)

Many of the assays and procedures were very interesting.

ELISA!

Do you remember the name of the one where you put three holes in the gel, and then the result looks like a frowning face? Or was it smiley?

I'm taking Immunology this school year, but in the 2nd term.

Immunology was the best class I ever took. Didn't think it was hard at all, very conceptual, didn't have to sit around memorizing pointless facts because it all made perfect sense.

for me, immunology starts to come together after you get more of the material...everything sorta fits into the "big picture" pretty tightly it seems, so stick with it!!! eventually it'll start to click.

best wishes!

I think it's fun, but then I wrote my undergrad thesis in it as well as taking a grad level class. It's just a matter of learning the alphabet soup. I should probably study a little more for the immunology test though. hmmm.

my book provides verbal descriptions of the molecular structures. seems pretty dense

I agree and it's the only bio class I made a B in. But man it was the best science class I have taken and I learned so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all should have taken it at my school lol. Easiest A I've ever made. We got a study guide with everything that was on the test, and so long as you memorized that (and could answer the questions first) you aced it. One of our lecturers (group taught class) teaches for the med school and told us that the stuff he was teaching us it was exactly the same as what the med students learn too.

does your prof just lob test questions in the air to slammed by students on tests?
Immuno is not easy

does your prof just lob test questions in the air to slammed by students on tests?
Immuno is not easy

No, but like I said, it was very interesting to me. It's a very conceptual class, which I like. I think it's hilarious that you think because someone thought a class was easy that you didn't that is must have been an easy class.

I've had worse classes. But then when you go into all the cytokines and interferons and stuff like that, it gets quite sucky.

No, but like I said, it was very interesting to me. It's a very conceptual class, which I like. I think it's hilarious that you think because someone thought a class was easy that you didn't that is must have been an easy class.

um ok

I loved Immuno. Supposedly it was one of the hardest bio classes at our school, but it all made great sense to me. None of our questions were just regurgitation of facts. They were more like:

You perform so and so experiment on a strain IL-2 KO mice expecting this result, but you got this result instead. What did you forget to take into account about the IL-2 receptor and specifically why did that affect your results in the way it did.

So much fun!

Thought it was hella interesting, but it seemed like rote memorization of alphabet soup to me. The more bio I take, the more it seems that way.

Fun concepts though, aside from the stuff like "IL-5 binds to protein kinase XXJY24 mtRDNAi attack complex releasing CD-4 MHC-2 CD8+ with lots of THC alpha helix voltron immunoglobulin gamma werewolves." :rolleyes:

Have not taken it yet, I am excited about it though.

Fun concepts though, aside from the stuff like "IL-5 binds to protein kinase XXJY24 mtRDNAi attack complex releasing CD-4 MHC-2 CD8+ with lots of THC alpha helix voltron immunoglobulin gamma werewolves." :rolleyes:

Agreed. That stuff is useless. No one will remember that junk one month after the course. I did love immunology though. It is my favorite course I've ever taken.

I didn't have the best professor, but it was a GREAT class. Keep at it:)

By far the hardest class I have taken as an undergrad. I studyed non-stop for that class. I think the average of the class was low 60's.

By far the hardest and most non-interesting course I took my whole four years- and it was an elective for me! I was excited to take it, but our professor was a researcher and was only interested in the molecular binding pathways and such. At one point I didnt even go to an exam, there was no purpose cuz I was going to crash and burn horribly, so I went to watch the Tigers in the World Series instead :laugh:

I can officially say now that I learned next to nothing in the course. However, I have an amazing teacher for medical microbiology right now, and the three weeks we spent on immuno were by far superior to my whole semester of just immuno. Soooooo much just depends on the professor with classes at this level!

Ya it is a hard class, but it was interesting. You learn about all the amazing things going on behind the scene to protect our body. But I agree it is a lot of material to cover.

sorry for reviving the old thread