Immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NVWolfPack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I technically could take another Bio course but I'd like to ask... how tough was this course for everyone? Was this course beneficial? Could you suggest another course that would better prep a student for the MCAT such as biochem.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Immunology was pretty tough. Mainly because a lot of what is known is that there is still a lot we do not know. It will offer you little benefit to the MCAT. But it might help you out come med school

Yeah, Immunology is pretty hard. There is both a lot of memorizing and conceptualization. It was quite interesting though. But it'll be of little to zero help on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Immunology was pretty tough. Mainly because a lot of what is known is that there is still a lot we do not know. It will offer you little benefit to the MCAT. But it might help you out come med school

:thumbup:

Yeah, Immunology is pretty hard. There is both a lot of memorizing and conceptualization. It was quite interesting though. But it'll be of little to zero help on the MCAT.

Ironically, I had Immuno on my MCAT and wouldn't have been able to do it without my Immuo course that I JUST finished that quarter. Everyone has a different experience.

Immuno is very interesting and I loved it! It wasn't easy but also not impossible to do well in... If you are interested in the subject, take it... as far as the MCAT, I wouldn't say taking immuno will help you A LOT.. it will give you a new perspective and way of thinking which will come in handy both on the MCAT and in medschool... other class suggestion would be human physiology for MCAT prep... It was very helpful for me!

o rly. I think its good to know some basic stuff like innate immune cells, and humoral vs. cell-mediated immunity. But I don't think anyone should take the class solely to do better on the MCAT.

None of the upper level science courses are high enough yield to justify taking them just for the sake of the MCAT. If you have an extra space for a class, need a class to fill it and are trying to fit in one that might help your MCAT prep as much as possible, I'd definitely put biochem right at the top of that list. Other possibilities are cell bio, microbio, and physiology. Anything higher level than that (immuno/virology/etc) are going to be pretty well beyond the scope of the MCAT.

For me Immunology was one of the coolest classes I took as an undergrad. The immune system is so intricate that it makes your head explode just thinking about how it all evolved. I would definitely take it if I were you. Plus, it will help you tons in other upper level bio courses like microbiology/virology/biochemistry.

As far as the MCAT is concerned, I would say take genetics. I had at least 1 passage dedicated to genetics, and several independent questions asking me about genetics questions. Plus (well at least when I took the class), the questions on genetics exams really made you think critically, kinda like the MCAT does.

Immunology made biology cool and relevant.