Implication of Pass with Remediation grade on Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ophthothrow2

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether I still have high chance of matching to Ophtho.
More about myself, I recently found out that I got Pass with remediation grade due to suboptimal performance on osce, which brings down my grade to PR on one of the clerkships that are not med/surg/peds. On my tentative MSPE, it shows the arrow on PR section which is after pass grade..

For more about my application:

Step1: low 240s
Step2: pending (took it a few weeks ago; practice scores in high 250s, will be updated after submission in mid August)

Clerkship grades:
HP in Ped/Surg/Med. H in everything else other than that one clerkship with Pass with remediation.
Research:
2 first author published; one in ophtho and one in neurosurgery
1 third author submitted
2 manuscripts in works
8 abstracts presented in regional/national/international meetings

Letters:
from Chair and associate professor that I expect to be at least good. one from obgyn

Did I just shoot myself in the foot for my chance..? Should I explain the PR grade on my personal statement?

Thank you for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any insider advice on this situation, but I personally would not take up space in my personal statement to talk about it. Possibly taking and passing Step 2 CS would help to quell some of a program's concerns if they had any? I hate to say that because Step 2 CS is such a waste of time and money, but it seems to be on the same spectrum as OSCEs as a measure of proficiency.

I dont think one single grade in the context of an otherwise great application would ruin anyone's chances enough to not even attempt to match. Make sure the rest of the house is in order and be prepared with a good answer when youre asked about it. Try to leave specific negatives out of your personal statement. If theyre really worried about it theyre going to ask you to explain in a different part of the process, likely within the setting of your interview.

Reactions: 1 user