importance of PAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teethguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
I took my DAT for the second time last month and got
30 PAT
/19 TS/ 18 AA/ 17 RC
20 PAT/20 TS/19 AA/ 15 RC -->my first test scores

improved my RC score and my PAT score

so i was wondering how important is the PAT section and which schools really value PAT section and which don't??

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone,
30 PAT/19 TS/ 18 AA/ 17 RC

so i was wondering how important is the PAT section and which schools really value PAT section and which don't??

I heard that highest score one could get on pat was a 28. When did they change this? PAT is important for some schools. (Univ. at Buffalo) especially looks at it.

wow that's an awesome PAT! Are you going to tell us how you did that? What did you use to study?? I am not sure which schools value PAT sorry :( but I think it will help you a lot.

PAT is important for some schools. (Univ. at Buffalo) especially looks at it.

No one ever said 28 was the highest PAT you can get.
PATs aren't just look at especially Buffalo.

PATs are a critical component of the DATs and separates the DATs from every other test. Anyone can ace the sciences, but dentistry is more than science. Every school will put big emphasis on this score (I called about 15 schools). Some schools will in fact require good PATs scores to even be considered. Your PATs stand out and will probably get you an acceptance! Good job!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that highest score one could get on pat was a 28. When did they change this? PAT is important for some schools. (Univ. at Buffalo) especially looks at it.

i guess it depends on the test version.. i had 30 (100 % tile) and someone else got 28 (100% tile) on the same version of test as mine..(crocodile)

i dont know , scoring is weird. All i care is i got 30 WOOHOO..lol

PATs are a critical component of the DATs and separates the DATs from every other test. Anyone can ace the sciences, but dentistry is more than science. Every school will put big emphasis on this score (I called about 15 schools). Some schools will in fact require good PATs scores to even be considered. Your PATs stand out and will probably get you an acceptance! Good job!

haha nice that makes me feel much more secure
Thanks!!

Everyone can ace any part of DAT if they put time into it. PAT is important. Good job!

wow that's an awesome PAT! Are you going to tell us how you did that? What did you use to study?? I am not sure which schools value PAT sorry :( but I think it will help you a lot.

i didnt really study for this section for any my dat. The only time i did PAT was during the practice tests in kaplan and topscore.

I finished 15 min early both times on the real test. For the first test i was so eager to go on my break tht i just left , but for the second test i sat there and went over my angles and changed few of the ans. If you have any specific questions on PAT fell free to ask me and i would be happy to tell my method.

i didnt really study for this section for any my dat. The only time i did PAT was during the practice tests in kaplan and topscore.

I finished 15 min early both times on the real test. For the first test i was so eager to go on my break tht i just left , but for the second test i sat there and went over my angles and changed few of the ans. If you have any specific questions on PAT fell free to ask me and i would be happy to tell my method.

Did you have specific strategy for tackling angles? I suck at those :(

Did you have specific strategy for tackling angles? I suck at those :(

I usually look for the smallest and the biggest angle of the four. This way u can at least eliminate couple of choices, and if your lucky you can eliminate all but one. Few of my questions were like this.

Thanks doc toothache for the link. it really helps

hey everyone,
30 PAT
/19 TS/ 18 AA/ 17 RC

PAT is definitely important to almost all dental schools. So, you should feel good about having such a high PAT score. But a high PAT score doesn't overshadow your other scores. For example, if you've scored 16 on G-chem that could still hinder your chances, despite the fact that you have an amazing PAT score. Just because someone has a great PAT score doesn't mean that they can mess up on all the other sections and still hope they're gonna get into DS without a problem. Your PAT score represents your perceptual ability, and your science scores represent your science background. You need to have decent scores in both science and PAT if you're thinking about some of the top dental schools.
Your AA is average, so as long as you don't have any terribly low science scores you should do just fine, and that PAT score will definitely come to your rescue!