Important Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaradX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to pharmacy school with plans to get my BA in summer 2010. due to budget cuts i wasnt able to take 2 of my upper-div classes for winter and wont be able to get my BA. ive already finished all of my pre-reqs for pharmacy school. I applied to a bunch of schools, some not requiring a BA, so my question is if i interview and get accepted, will they be ok if i tell them i cant get a BA? can they take back their acceptance? if any students on admission board of school please resond.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are you from a UC? I'm kind of in a similar situation with my courses as well.

Best thing to do in this case is to just be honest with them and try and tell them during the interview or before if possible. If it's clear you aren't getting your BA, then why give the schools a false impression? It looks like you already submitted your apps, but if you can update the schools with the situation then I would. My main reasoning behind this is that the admissions committee may even assume I was plotting to withhold this information from them and give me the boot. They're not oblivious to these kinds of things

I applied to pharmacy school with plans to get my BA in summer 2010. due to budget cuts i wasnt able to take 2 of my upper-div classes for winter and wont be able to get my BA. ive already finished all of my pre-reqs for pharmacy school. I applied to a bunch of schools, some not requiring a BA, so my question is if i interview and get accepted, will they be ok if i tell them i cant get a BA? can they take back their acceptance? if any students on admission board of school please resond.
Thanks

I'm not on the admissions board, but I can empathize with you as I was in the similar situation last summer. I was graduating with 2 majors and wasn't sure if I was going to be able to finish both of them or just one. It depends on the school and how stringent they are about requiring the BA. For example, my school required us to notify them immediately if our graduation status has changed.

If the school doesn't, then you are probably ok. Although you still need to tell them. If they do, they might withdraw their acceptance because their acceptance offer could have been conditional upon you finishing your BA.

When you think about it, you indicated on your apps you will have BA - this may a deciding factor that will set you apart and swing a court in your favor if it comes to deciding between you and some other applicant. If you are no longer getting a BA, that puts you in the unfair advantage compared to other applicants and you should let the schools know.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand the situation, but should you really be that worried?
I mean, most applicants to pharmacy school don't have degrees as it is anyways, and only about 4 programs in the U.S require/prefer them correct?

I mean definitely let them know of course.

I understand the situation, but should you really be that worried?
I mean, most applicants to pharmacy school don't have degrees as it is anyways, and only about 4 programs in the U.S require/prefer them correct?

I mean definitely let them know of course.

Well, not to scare him, but you can get in trouble with the school and be put on probation to have your file re-evaluated, just by changing your planned courses, not graduating is big deal.

It all depends on which schools he applied, but like you said, if his dream is to go to one of those schools that required the BA, he needs to figure out a way to graduate.

You need to tell them if you won't be completing any courses you listed as intending to complete on your application. They can reconsider your application, but unless you got a conditional acceptance, revoking your admission is an unlikely outcome.

BS degrees are not required in most pharmacy schools. If you get an interview express your reason for not completing your BS coursework. An attmitance revoke is very unlikely.

Give-Thanks

Yeah, I'm not saying that he shouldn't let them know..

He definitely should, but I think he is stressing out a little much over this..
He'll prolly still end up being accepted.

Thanks

Dont let it eat you up inside and throw off your interview performance--if youre offered an interview. Odds are it wont be brought up, at least during your interview. And I would not bring it up if I were you. Just go in there and do your interview and wait to hear back from them. If youre accepted, you can let them know of your situation THEN. And odds are they wont take it from you, seeing most schools dont require a B.A/B.S. I had a friend that was in this situation, as a matter of fact, once he was accepted, he asked for a deferment to complete his degree and was granted the deferment......