In need of some perspective regarding my application and advice for my MCAT in 2.5 weeks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlugMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
---

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To improve your score you must be reviewing ur tests and doing passages on the subjects ur weak on. I also got a 26 on AAMC #11 and I scored a 27 on the real thing. But I was scoring in the 30's on the other tests, so I really cant say where u might be at. I agree I dont think you should apply to MD schools it would be a huge waste of money. I think if you can get ur sGPA up past 3.00 and hit at least a 25 on the mcat you might be successful, provided that you apply broadly and to the newer schools. It seems like the rest of your app is ok, just the numbers are weak. As far as touro goes Ive been hearing, mostly from this forum and other online sources, that touro-Ca has a pretty high MCAT average. I think its around 30 now, but Im not positive. Anyway just keep working hard and trying to improve, the good thing about DO schools is that they can be really forgiving.

Forget about MD schools. Do 26+ on MCAT and youll be good to go for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forget about MD schools. Do 26+ on MCAT and youll be good to go for DO.

Will do, I'm starting to come to this realization that it will come down to luck of what passages I get that day. I can't control that so I'm just going to keep pushing through and do a few passages from every section in order to cover all the subjects at least 2 times before the real thing.

To improve your score you must be reviewing ur tests and doing passages on the subjects ur weak on. I also got a 26 on AAMC #11 and I scored a 27 on the real thing. But I was scoring in the 30's on the other tests, so I really cant say where u might be at. I agree I dont think you should apply to MD schools it would be a huge waste of money. I think if you can get ur sGPA up past 3.00 and hit at least a 25 on the mcat you might be successful, provided that you apply broadly and to the newer schools. It seems like the rest of your app is ok, just the numbers are weak. As far as touro goes Ive been hearing, mostly from this forum and other online sources, that touro-Ca has a pretty high MCAT average. I think its around 30 now, but Im not positive. Anyway just keep working hard and trying to improve, the good thing about DO schools is that they can be really forgiving.

You are right about Touro-CA, their average is a 30.1, I was just referring to their msmhs program as a possible postbacc I could do in my gap year.

Also, can you define broadly? I was planning on ~20. Should I just apply to all 30 schools? I have no geographical preferences, I am willing to go anywhere.

Don't completely believe that AAMC 11 will be your score. I got a 29 on AAMC 11 and averaged 31 on all AAMCs, and ended up with a 32 on the real thing. The bio passage with the weird graphs killed me. As others have said, MD probably isn't a good idea. I think if you score 28+ you'll have a decent shot with your stats if you apply widely. The UCs are pretty notorious for difficult grading, especially at the higher ranked ones.

Go Bears/Aggies/Banana Slugs!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes you can get a 27 or higher on test day, but you are going to keep reviewing your weak spots on the science sections and keep studying till your exam and push it REALLY hard. I know that my last month of studying gave me a couple points on the exam. Work hard and you'll get a score your satisified with. You got this.

Will do, I'm starting to come to this realization that it will come down to luck of what passages I get that day. I can't control that so I'm just going to keep pushing through and do a few passages from every section in order to cover all the subjects at least 2 times before the real thing.

You are right about Touro-CA, their average is a 30.1, I was just referring to their msmhs program as a possible postbacc I could do in my gap year.

Also, can you define broadly? I was planning on ~20. Should I just apply to all 30 schools? I have no geographical preferences, I am willing to go anywhere.

I would apply to 20 because if you think about it there are around 10 or so schools that are considered more competitive, like ccom, tcom, Western, etc and those that are really regionally bias that your stats would not be competitive like Unecom, Pnwu etc. So yeah 20 schools sounds about right.

as everyone said review your practice tests. i learned more from that than anything else. if you did 3 tests in 4 days you aren't spending near enough time reviewing what you got wrong (and what you got right).

other thing you can do is practice your test day. wake up same time you will, take a practice test at the same time, eat the same things, etc. take out as many variables as possible

as everyone said review your practice tests. i learned more from that than anything else. if you did 3 tests in 4 days you aren't spending near enough time reviewing what you got wrong (and what you got right).

other thing you can do is practice your test day. wake up same time you will, take a practice test at the same time, eat the same things, etc. take out as many variables as possible

Yeah I've been getting my daily routine straight, like for example on non FL's day take a full verbal at 3:30 (since my test is at 2), PS around noon, do BS later in the day etc. Now I'm in the process of getting off my coffee addiction.

You are right about me not reviewing my practice tests enough, I think I was more preoccupied with getting through the endless number of TBR passages I have left then focusing on reviewing the FL's. Anyways, that ends today.

Also, any advice on learning E&M and O-Chem? Those are my two biggest weakness and besides EK 1001 and passages idk what else to do. I'm afraid to spend days reviewing the content when I'm only 16 days away.