In relationship purgatory with my LDR (med school student advice?)

Hello all,

I am currently in a LDR with my boyfriend of only a couple of months. We met on a dating app last year and we both live in two different states. We decided to meet each other in March which is when he asked me out and we became "official".

My boyfriend is currently in med school (MS2 I believe). For the past month, our communication has gone downhill. Generally, we talk throughout the day via text and we FaceTime/call each other in the evenings everyday or every other day. He started taking his final exams around mid-April which lasted about a month (he finished his last exam this past Tuesday). Once he started studying for finals, he really pulled back with talking to me which I was okay with since his exams sounded stressful (he had about three finals per week). He is also planning to take Step 1 in mid-June, so he studied for finals on top of his Step 1 exam. (He's been studying for Step 1 since the beginning of January.)

Currently, he's studying for his Step 1 now and is really stressing out about it. When I try to talk to him, he simply tells me how he has no time for breaks and the like. He said he doesn't even have time to call his parents, to workout/cook/do anything fun. I've been really supportive of it all, but I think what's been bothering me is that he HAS been able to go out with his friends (I only know this because of what he posts on social media). He is able to make time for his friends, but hasn't been contacting me at all. I also notice that he goes on Facebook off and on throughout the day.

I asked him if I did something to make him angry/upset to which he told me no. The last time I told him that I really missed him, he simply said he was sorry and can't do anything about it (usually he says that he misses me too). He said once he finishes his Step 1, he is able to take a break for a little while then he starts rotations. I sent him a text a couple of days ago telling him how I've been feeling about all of this and whether or not we should keep going with our relationship or not, however he hasn't gotten back to me.

I don't want to sound like the needy girlfriend, however the way he's been acting has been really off and I'm just confused. I'm not in med school (I'm in graduate school), so maybe I don't really understand the situation as clearly. I'm not sure if he's getting bored of our relationship/making excuses to not talk to me (or has found someone else, which is unlikely in my opinion) or if he's just too stressed out to talk to me. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am currently in a LDR with my boyfriend of only a couple of months. We met on a dating app last year and we both live in two different states. We decided to meet each other in March which is when he asked me out and we became "official".

My boyfriend is currently in med school (MS2 I believe). For the past month, our communication has gone downhill. Generally, we talk throughout the day via text and we FaceTime/call each other in the evenings everyday or every other day. He started taking his final exams around mid-April which lasted about a month (he finished his last exam this past Tuesday). Once he started studying for finals, he really pulled back with talking to me which I was okay with since his exams sounded stressful (he had about three finals per week). He is also planning to take Step 1 in mid-June, so he studied for finals on top of his Step 1 exam. (He's been studying for Step 1 since the beginning of January.)

Currently, he's studying for his Step 1 now and is really stressing out about it. When I try to talk to him, he simply tells me how he has no time for breaks and the like. He said he doesn't even have time to call his parents, to workout/cook/do anything fun. I've been really supportive of it all, but I think what's been bothering me is that he HAS been able to go out with his friends (I only know this because of what he posts on social media). He is able to make time for his friends, but hasn't been contacting me at all. I also notice that he goes on Facebook off and on throughout the day.

I asked him if I did something to make him angry/upset to which he told me no. The last time I told him that I really missed him, he simply said he was sorry and can't do anything about it (usually he says that he misses me too). He said once he finishes his Step 1, he is able to take a break for a little while then he starts rotations. I sent him a text a couple of days ago telling him how I've been feeling about all of this and whether or not we should keep going with our relationship or not, however he hasn't gotten back to me.

I don't want to sound like the needy girlfriend, however the way he's been acting has been really off and I'm just confused. I'm not in med school (I'm in graduate school), so maybe I don't really understand the situation as clearly. I'm not sure if he's getting bored of our relationship/making excuses to not talk to me (or has found someone else, which is unlikely in my opinion) or if he's just too stressed out to talk to me. What do you think?

I'm sorry to say, but it sounds like you are being a "needy girlfriend". You've only known each other a couple of months you have said. He is studying for Step 1, which is probably the most important exam of his medical school career. When he is not studying, he needs a break, and perhaps to let off some of the stress of studying, he goes out with some friends. Don't expect daily texts/phone calls/facetime etc. Give him some space, but you can also be supportive, but most important be patient.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think you're being too needy in this instance. When you're doing long distance (did it for 2 years myself), all you have to keep it together is communication. I think you recognize that he's busy which is good, but I don't think his studying is any excuse for him completely freezing you on the communication front. That text you sent him is a serous text which I would assume that my partner would want to clear up with me one way or another right away. Did he say anything back to you at all? Or did he ignore the text completely? If he ignored a text that serious I would be concerned.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to say, but it sounds like you are being a "needy girlfriend". You've only known each other a couple of months you have said. He is studying for Step 1, which is probably the most important exam of his medical school career. When he is not studying, he needs a break, and perhaps to let off some of the stress of studying, he goes out with some friends. Don't expect daily texts/phone calls/facetime etc. Give him some space, but you can also be supportive, but most important be patient.

That's all I've really been doing at this point, but he could send me a text while he's out with friends asking how I am or if I'm doing okay... (he usually does when he goes out with his friends but recently he hasn't)
I also bought him some study snacks and I forgot what his address was, so I texted him to ask him and he never responded! Then when I texted him again asking him how the studying was going he responded with "eh it's going"...
I have given him A LOT of space. We haven't texted each other for four days.

There is a chance though that you're right. I really won't know until he finishes his Step 1 in June whether or not he really wants to be with me or is just using his studying as an excuse not to talk to me.

I don't think you're being too needy in this instance. When you're doing long distance (did it for 2 years myself), all you have to keep it together is communication. I think you recognize that he's busy which is good, but I don't think his studying is any excuse for him completely freezing you on the communication front. That text you sent him is a serous text which I would assume that my partner would want to clear up with me one way or another right away. Did he say anything back to you at all? Or did he ignore the text completely? If he ignored a text that serious I would be concerned.

I agree. He hasn't said anything back to me at all and it's been four days... I'm pretty confident that he's read it already. I'm not sure if he hasn't replied because he doesn't know what to say, is too stressed/pressured out to think of a coherent response, or doesn't want to break it off with me (i.e. he's too chicken to break it off and wants me to do it, or wants to break it off by "ignoring me"), etc. I really have no idea. I asked him that in the text as well.
I'm just wondering when I should try and shoot him another text asking if he received my previous messages... I mean I understand he's under a lot of pressure and I don't want to pressure him more. (I was thinking, if I'm impatient in a couple of days... if I'm okay with this dynamic, then after he finishes his Step 1.)

I agree. He hasn't said anything back to me at all and it's been four days... I'm pretty confident that he's read it already. I'm not sure if he hasn't replied because he doesn't know what to say, is too stressed/pressured out to think of a coherent response, or doesn't want to break it off with me (i.e. he's too chicken to break it off and wants me to do it, or wants to break it off by "ignoring me"), etc. I really have no idea. I asked him that in the text as well.
I'm just wondering when I should try and shoot him another text asking if he received my previous messages... I mean I understand he's under a lot of pressure and I don't want to pressure him more. (I was thinking, if I'm impatient in a couple of days... if I'm okay with this dynamic, then after he finishes his Step 1.)

Yeah sounds odd to me. Being busy is one thing but i'm sure he could take the two seconds to throw you a text once every few days. Have you tried calling him? Maybe he would be more responsive? From what you're saying it sounds like he's ghosting you. Either way if this is the way it's going to be with him is that something you want to put up with? He's going to continue to be this busy for a long time.

Reactions: 1 user

Sounds like he's not interested anymore. Might be time to move on.

Reactions: 3 users
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but It really sounds like he may not be that unto you. If that's the case, I would recommend moving on to someone else. Step 1 was a busy time for me, but I could make time to send a text message every now and then on study breaks.

Reactions: 1 user
It's over. He's trying to ghost you from the sound of it.

The fact that he is able to go out and socialize with friends and, in the same breath, claims he is too busy to text you? Yeah, it's done.

Reactions: 2 users

This.

I wouldn't even text him again. I'd move on ASAP.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

I think obviously he's really busy and it seems like he's just wanting to go out with his friends to destress. Him not talking with you is definitely an issue because relationships need communication to be successful. It sounds like you are really supportive and understanding of his schedule. You've only been dating for a few months though if that's correct? I feel like you're still getting to know him as a person at that point. I'm going through something similar with my boyfriend of three years right now he literally just started med school 2 weeks ago and he's barely even talking to me and claims to be "too busy." I'm in grad school for biochem and I'm way busier than he is right now at this point and I still have time to talk to him. My boyfriend is kind of abusive though because I've tried to break up with him several times and he doesn't accept it and will say anything to get me back but then goes on to treat me like crap and isolate me from my friend group. He also beat me up but he went to therapy for it but yeah honestly it's just a vicious cycle and I'm trying to break free. Best of luck with your boyfriend and I hope things work out for the best whether you decide to stay with him or not.

I think obviously he's really busy and it seems like he's just wanting to go out with his friends to destress. Him not talking with you is definitely an issue because relationships need communication to be successful. It sounds like you are really supportive and understanding of his schedule. You've only been dating for a few months though if that's correct? I feel like you're still getting to know him as a person at that point. I'm going through something similar with my boyfriend of three years right now he literally just started med school 2 weeks ago and he's barely even talking to me and claims to be "too busy." I'm in grad school for biochem and I'm way busier than he is right now at this point and I still have time to talk to him. My boyfriend is kind of abusive though because I've tried to break up with him several times and he doesn't accept it and will say anything to get me back but then goes on to treat me like crap and isolate me from my friend group. He also beat me up but he went to therapy for it but yeah honestly it's just a vicious cycle and I'm trying to break free. Best of luck with your boyfriend and I hope things work out for the best whether you decide to stay with him or not.

holy-necrobump-batman.jpg