In-State residency at Penn Vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cer120

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience gaining Pennsylvania residency prior to applying to PennVet? I intend on moving to the Philadelphia area to work in the upcoming months and I want to see if I can apply as a PA resident. I can't seem to find Penn's requirements for residency anywhere on their website.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have experience gaining Pennsylvania residency prior to applying to PennVet? I intend on moving to the Philadelphia area to work in the upcoming months and I want to see if I can apply as a PA resident. I can't seem to find Penn's requirements for residency anywhere on their website.
It's usually working a full year, so likely that would not work (they will allow you to defer a year to establish residency)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I gained residency for PennVet. It does have to be a full year, and I did this by deferring (I interviewed for class of 2019 and am now class of 2020). You have to have a job in PA, PA driver's license, PA bank account, be registered to vote in PA, and pay taxes in the state of Pennsylvania. In the end it was totally worth it because I gained even more experience before starting school and I save $10,000/year. If you have any other questions, PM me!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I gained residency for PennVet. It does have to be a full year, and I did this by deferring (I interviewed for class of 2019 and am now class of 2020). You have to have a job in PA, PA driver's license, PA bank account, be registered to vote in PA, and pay taxes in the state of Pennsylvania. In the end it was totally worth it because I gained even more experience before starting school and I save $10,000/year. If you have any other questions, PM me!
You might not be able to answer this question, but what are your thoughts on this:

I am technically an Ohio resident by standards of my permanent address. I lived in PA for 4 years during undergrad, however. I also worked for 3 of those years (anywhere from 20-40 hours/week). I've had a PA license since 2014 and I'm registered to vote in PA (have not changed my registration). I moved from PA to London (UK) for my master's degree and had been there since graduation up through October.

Do you think it might be possible for me to establish residency?

You might not be able to answer this question, but what are your thoughts on this:

I am technically an Ohio resident by standards of my permanent address. I lived in PA for 4 years during undergrad, however. I also worked for 3 of those years (anywhere from 20-40 hours/week). I've had a PA license since 2014 and I'm registered to vote in PA (have not changed my registration). I moved from PA to London (UK) for my master's degree and had been there since graduation up through October.

Do you think it might be possible for me to establish residency?

I believe since you were in school when you lived in PA and your permanent address is in Ohio, that it wouldn't count towards your residency. All the other things- PA driver's license, registered to vote in PA- are secondary to having your permanent address be in Pennsylvania. They're necessary for residency, but not enough on their own. Definitely possible to establish residency after a year in PA though. Hope this helps, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user