In the area emails?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brianmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been hearing about these. What are theye xactly and are they sent pre-interview? Is it sent to the general admissions email address? what doy ou even write: " Hey I am in the area, let me see your school even though you havent invited me yet?"
It just sounds presumptuous to me! But if this si how its done and it works for people then I want to try. I live 5 miles from UMIAMI and am an out of stater and really want them to look at me more!

Members don't see this ad.

No - The idea is that, if you live far away from School A and you've gotten an interview at School B in the same area, you're letting the adcom at School A know that you'll be nearby, and IF they decide to offer you an interview (you're not demanding one), you'd appreciate them scheduling it around the same time so you can get it in one trip. This is particularly appropriate if, say, you live in California and need to fly to Boston, since that's expensive and time-consuming. In your case, if you live 5 miles from the school you're interested in, an in-the-area note wouldn't make sense... because you're always in the area.

What if you're in the area, but not for another interview? For instance, I am going to be visiting family that happens to be about 30 min from one of the schools to which I applied. The school is normally a 18 hour drive from where I live (so pretty much a flight).

Is this an inappropriate "in the area" situation?

That sounds fine - I figure for in-the-area emails, most people would just write that they'll be nearby, not necessarily specifying the reason. I've only really had med school interview travelling on my mind because I haven't had any chances for more fun trips lately :p