In this day in age, why would you want to be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Brian20:
•First of all i really wish people would save their personal pissing matches for private messages. Is it really necessary to post some of the garbage on this site....please just write privately.

I worked as a nurses aide for about a year. i got pissed on, **** on...and not just by the patients. Do i think i have an advantage over MOST (not all) undergrads going right into med school? Yes I do. I volunteered as an undergrad and i learned and saw pretty much nothing. you really need to immerse yourself in healthcare to really get the picture. I hated being an aide with a four year degree. but it was also one of the greatest things i have ever done for myself and my future patients. i was humbled and got a glimpse of the world from the point of view of the support and nursing staff. basically i learned not to be a prick doctor. nurses can make or break you....especially when you want to get those few hours of sleep.

I want to get into medicine because i want to help people and love biology and all that crap everyone says. but the biggest reason is that medicine gives me the opportunity to save myself. i feel an immense sense of waste in most things i do (research, constant book work, and pretty much every job i have had outside the hospital). I think the only time i dont feel a sense of waste is when i am talking to people about what is inside of them, be it physical or mental illness. in such instances i am using my mind, but also using my heart. I want them to get better not because i want to conquer or out smart some disease, but because i want them to smile and spend another healthy day with the ones they love. an opportunity to have a job like this, where i use both my heart and mind, is the only job i can imagine where i wouldnt feel that sense of waste.

it is not socially acceptable to truly talk to people. its not acceptable to speak from your heart and to let down your guard. medicine is my ploy to get people to do these things. for some reason, people TRULY talk to doctors. they spill their hearts out to doctors. this is why i am getting into medicine....it is the most intimate of professions.•••

This is a nice reason to get in to medicine. It is good to hear that there are people going into medicine whom are interested in the lives of people!! I have met doctors that have actually said this to patients: "all patients are is just a sack of bones, anatomy, etc." It was very disheartening to have heard this. After all, we are people before our diagnosis.

Also, clinical psychology is another intimate profession. These professionals hear just about everything from their patients. Many people I know would not talk to their internists about personal problems. But, they are willing to talk with psychologists.

Members don't see this ad.