Air Force In too deep, don't know what to do. ROTC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gambits

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a Junior at a decently tough pre-med school (Rutgers), I am also in Rutgers, and my major is Cell Biology/Neuroscience. Now, I am pre-med, and I've been pre-med for the past 2 years, and things aren't looking so good at the moment. I've done poorly in my pre-med classes, other than 1 A in the sciences, my GPA right now is a 2.89, but I'm retaking a class I did poorly in at the moment to pick it up back up. I am an AS300, I went to Field Training this summer, basically the transition from student to teacher for AFROTC, and I was very optimistic about my future, but it's starting to look not so good. The only good things I have under my belt, are a bunch of research (100+ hours) and 1 publication, and 2 posters from my research at an Endocrine Research Facility, that somehow I got a job in. I also have AFROTC under my belt but my grades are still ****ty. I am putting all my efforts this semester into lifting up that GPA, and studying for the MCATS. Now this semester is a make it or break it for me from what I understand, but can anyone put their input in as to say what would be the chances for me if I do well in the MCATS? I know ROTC to HPSP is tough, but do I still have a chance if this semester goes better and MCATS go well? I haven't been contracted yet (no money in it for me), so I can still leave without owing the Air Force anything. Thank you for your time y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you know the answer to your questions. If you cant get your GPA up, your chances of Med School and HPSP are very low. HPSP requires a waiver for GPA below 3.2

Yes. I realized typing it out, this may be my last semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have been on the AFROTC scholarship then your best bet is like what Gas said. Get the best grades you can now, do your time in the AF, get out at the end of your committment and go right into a Post Bacc or Masters program and then apply. Be sure to apply DO as well for best odds. Worry about HPSP later if you are still interested in the military.

It's MCAT. Just MCAT. Not MCATS.

I have had the exact same GPA issue as you and it took me a very long time to correct for it. Your performance on the MCAT will guide you on your decision on whether or not you can get into medical school. You knock that sucker out of the park then you will still stand a chance. Not a great chance but still a good underdog chance. However, at your current trajectory you will have to choose the Air Force or choose spending the next few years after graduation correcting that GPA of yours.

Like Dr. Gastrapathy said, it's an uphill battle for you. A Sisyphean uphill battle. Trust me, I know.

DO has grade replacement...MD does not. That is your most realistic and good option.