Incoming M1 c/o 2020 Back to school thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm from CA and moving to the Midwest for medical school next week. Do you guys have any recommendations/advice for where to get a relatively cheap and good full-size bed?

I bought this (why can't you link).
Sleep Master Ultima® Comfort Memory Foam 8 Inch Mattress, Full by Zinus. $150
Zinus 14 Inch SmartBase Mattress Foundation/Platform Bed Frame/Box Spring Replacement/Quiet Noise-Free/Maximum Under-bed Storage, Full. $60
(The bed frame supposedly eliminates the need for a box spring. Giving it a try)

I am moving 50 miles and the quote for renting a moving truck was $300-1000 from different companies. F that noise, so I bought a new bed for $200 and put the rest of my stuff in a friend's SUV

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
TL;DW: Dad wasn't around so it's his fault. Because it has to be someone's fault.
Clearly it's the car's fault for dressing so provocatively

Reactions: 1 users
Clearly it's the car's fault for dressing so provocatively
I mean, it wasn't even wearing a car bra.
upload_2016-7-26_21-37-36.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
Was hoping for a "Hey Dr. Nick!" but it failed. haha, who else is ready for M1?!

I'm in the midst of orientation week and this is a very /obvious/ observation but it has been so cool to interact with others and see just how diverse the class is. All of those diversity secondaries make sense now. I've met so many students from so many different states, cities, countries, colleges, backgrounds, degrees, careers, hobbies, interests, etc. It is so neat to meet people who have lived unique and full lives before coming to medical school, the amount of life experience in one room is overwhelming to imagine. I'm sure you have all had or will have similar experiences, and I know that this was what the admissions committee was going for but it's really mind-boggling and humbling to experience it firsthand.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm in the midst of orientation week and this is a very /obvious/ observation but it has been so cool to interact with others and see just how diverse the class is. All of those diversity secondaries make sense now. I've met so many students from so many different states, cities, countries, colleges, backgrounds, degrees, careers, hobbies, interests, etc. It is so neat to meet people who have lived unique and full lives before coming to medical school, the amount of life experience in one room is overwhelming to imagine. I'm sure you have all had or will have similar experiences, and I know that this was what the admissions committee was going for but it's really mind-boggling and humbling to experience it firsthand.

I felt the same way. Just by the very nature of the admissions process, you'll definitely have the opportunity to become friends with some amazing people.

The movers are here! It is happening. Cross country trek #3.

Reactions: 4 users
And here I am going to school 10 minutes from my house and 2 blocks from my office. :laugh:

Haha I wish I was going to a school close to home! I'm not a fan of moving. Although I think I'll like the city I'm moving to. Luckily I have an aunt and uncle who live there, so it'll be nice to have some family around. I'd be much more nervous if I was moving to a city where I knew no one.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha I wish I was going to a school close to home! I'm not a fan of moving. Although I think I'll like the city I'm moving to. Luckily I have an aunt and uncle who live there, so it'll be nice to have some family around. I'd be much more nervous if I was moving to a city where I knew no one.

Yeah, this is the first time I'm ever lived more than 30 minutes from my family/boyfriend (now 4ish hours) and I'm terrified haha.

Yeah, this is the first time I'm ever lived more than 30 minutes from my family/boyfriend (now 4ish hours) and I'm terrified haha.

Can't offer advice about the boyfriend, but if you're afraid of homesickness, I've found it works best to not call/visit your family too often. The more you call, the more you'll miss them.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can't offer advice about the boyfriend, but if you're afraid of homesickness, I've found it works best to not call/visit your family too often. The more you call, the more you'll miss them.

Huh, okay. I can see how that makes sense. I can't promise I'll follow your advice but I definitely appreciate it!

Agree with @Lannister on this one. Moved 10-11hrs away for UG and, initially, always talking to the friends and family made me more homesick. I found a fantastic group of friends at UG and forced myself to live in that moment rather than the old, yet comfortable moment. Take the leap of faith, go out with your classmates, and have fun :)

Agree with @Lannister on this one. Moved 10-11hrs away for UG and, initially, always talking to the friends and family made me more homesick. I found a fantastic group of friends at UG and forced myself to live in that moment rather than the old, yet comfortable moment. Take the leap of faith, go out with your classmates, and have fun :)
See, I did the whole "move and don't dwell on who you left at home" thing and it...sucked. Really hard, and not because I didn't have friends. This time I'm purposefully trying not to go out with classmates unless it actually interests me, and I'm keeping in better touch with the fam, and it's WAY better this way. I don't get sucked into other peoples' drama as much.

See, I did the whole "move and don't dwell on who you left at home" thing and it...sucked. Really hard, and not because I didn't have friends. This time I'm purposefully trying not to go out with classmates unless it actually interests me, and I'm keeping in better touch with the fam, and it's WAY better this way. I don't get sucked into other peoples' drama as much.
I guess it really depends on the person!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Ooooo, I second this. For the rest of you guys, there will always be outings; don't feel obligated to go to to everything...but also don't be antisocial lol.

Who else here is terrified that, despite triple checking the health, financial, and other requirements, they'll show up to orientation and kicked out the first day because one form was missing or their loans didn't come through?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8 users
Who else here is terrified that, despite triple checking the health, financial, and other requirements, they'll show up to orientation and kicked out the first day because one form was missing or their loans didn't come through?

I spent my entire 2-day road trip convincing myself that wouldn't happen. Then they had mis-alphabetized my orientation packet, so when I got there I found a table full of nametags for everyone except me (I thought) and I had a mini heart attack! But it wore off once they spent the entire day telling us we deserved to be there and congrats (among other things, but they definitely emphasized that bit. I think orientation was largely designed by the upperclassmen and they *get* that people feel that way on Day 1.)

Dude I already got a call threatening to have my acceptance rescinded because my immunizations were very late. It was a horrible feeling x.x

For those that are worried about being lonely moving far away...get a cat. They rock

For those that are worried about being lonely moving far away...get a cat. They rock
I want a pet so bad but I'm pretty much allergic to every animal on the planet :(

Also, for those people who are thinking about getting a pet: keep in mind that they are more expensive than they seem (vet bills, food, etc.) and require time and attention (even cats).

M1 fantasy football draft tonight! Super pumped!

^^ Legit. I'm going to bring that up in my school's Facebook Group right now.

My class's Facebook page is like totally dead. There's a few people who have posted questions and some M2s posting orientation info but other than that, not much.

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 2.43.39 PM.png

My class's Facebook page is like totally dead. There's a few people who have posted questions and some M2s posting orientation info but other than that, not much.

I posted about meeting up with fellow students prior to orientation for lunch or something, and people started replying! Take the initiative :D

I posted about meeting up with fellow students prior to orientation for lunch or something, and people started replying! Take the initiative :D

I'm not in town yet but when I get there, I might!

I'm moving 1500 miles from home. 1375 dollars for the move to new hampshire. nobody wants to make the drive up there.

Oh man, we just got our schedule for orientation social events and I'm tired just looking at it...drinking and partying every night...do people really still find that fun at this point in life? I mean once a week maybe, but every night? I'd rather stay in, watch Netflix and go to bed early lol.

Oh man, we just got our schedule for orientation social events and I'm tired just looking at it...drinking and partying every night...do people really still find that fun at this point in life? I mean once a week maybe, but every night? I'd rather stay in, watch Netflix and go to bed early lol.

I've never much enjoyed typical college parties. Or campus bars. I have a thing about being around hoards of people.

Everyday? Whew...I could do every other day lol. I enjoy drinking, but always find a way to incorporate games where drinking isn't required. I couldn't imagine attending a beer fest 5 days in a row though...maybe 2 years ago, but now I wouldn't be able to handle it. lol.

The best drinking nights occur in the comfort of your home, with those closest to you. Oh, and beer games are required but they must occur in concert with a card game/ board game/video game (Beerio Kart, Kings, Pictionary, etc.) Sigh, I miss undergrad. LOL.

I've never much enjoyed typical college parties. Or campus bars. I have a thing about being around hoards of people.
For me it's just a lack of energy. By like 7pm I'm completely exhausted (even if all I did was sit in bed all day) and have zero desire to interact with people. Sometimes I wonder if there's actually something wrong with me physically lol.

The best drinking nights occur in the comfort of your home, with those closest to you. Oh, and beer games are required but they must occur in concert with a card game/ board game/video game (Beerio Kart, Kings, Pictionary, etc.) Sigh, I miss undergrad. LOL.
Haha I hate that I can't drink beer (gluten free), sometimes those drinking games look fun.

Then you definitely wouldn't have been able to go out with Dr. Nick....we would typically start around 9-10pm...go out at 12am...eat food at 3am..and come back and sleep by 4am. One time, we lost track of time, and by the time we left eating, the sun was rising LOL.

Haha I hate that I can't drink beer (gluten free), sometimes those drinking games look fun.

Nowadays there are solid beers that are actually gluten free. Either that, or a nice gin and tonic was always a go-to for me. Classy, delicious and it'll make you tickle. haha. The games are so much fun. Beerio Kart is a classic...it's Mario Kart but you have to finish your beer before the race ends. You can only open your beer and drink if you pull over on the side of the road. It's actually pretty strategic hahaha.

You know what guys/gals? It is so exciting to see long time (and new) SDNers finally have the "Medical Student (accepted)) status on their profile.

You guys are awesome :) Congrats!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Nowadays there are solid beers that are actually gluten free. Either that, or a nice gin and tonic was always a go-to for me. Classy, delicious and it'll make you tickle. haha.

Are there? I've never tried any because I was told they were awful. So basically I've never tried beer in my life.
Right now I'm a big fan of the Moscow Mule. Tastes good and doesn't seem to get me drunk quickly.

For me it's just a lack of energy. By like 7pm I'm completely exhausted (even if all I did was sit in bed all day) and have zero desire to interact with people. Sometimes I wonder if there's actually something wrong with me physically lol.
I love interacting with people, I just generally don't like the party scene. Although ironically, I really enjoy throwing parties. My roommates and I had some fairly ridiculous parties at our apartment that looked like something out of a movie, but that was in the comfort of my own home.

I love Mario Kart and Pictionary to begin with...that sounds awesome.

I love interacting with people, I just generally don't like the party scene. Although ironically, I really enjoy throwing parties. My roommates and I had some fairly ridiculous parties at our apartment that looked like something out of a movie, but that was in the comfort of my own home.

OH god no, no throwing parties for me haha.
Interestingly, I have no problem interacting with people at work or in organized small group sessions during class. In fact I probably talk too much in those environments. But throw me into an unstructured social event and I lose all desire to talk to people. Pretty sure that's characteristic of some personality disorder actually.

3 words:
Charades Against Humanity.
:=|:-):

I don't know about you guys but it's been a blast getting fdrunk with my new friends!