MD Incoming MS1 - How do I maximize my chances at matching into a top IM residency in the Northeast?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetenthletter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming MS1.
Apologies in advance if this post sounds neurotic since I am asking for advice pretty early in the process. I was a really low-performing student (~2 GPA) in HS, and would not have made it into a medical school without doing research before ugrad started.

Hoping to gain some insight before school starts. I want to match into a high-ranked IM program because 1. I would like a career in academia (research + teaching) and 2. I will likely pursue an IM fellowship (and I hear that pedigree, unfortunately, plays a role in matching into fellowships).

Current things I have going in my favor:
- Will have ~10 publications and 1-2 abstracts by the end of this year (all clinical research, IM related, 1 first author pub)
- Will be attending a T20 Chicago medical school
- MA Resident

I had a few questions:
- Should I try to do research at high-ranked institutions in the Northeast (i.e., NYP, MGH) next summer? Will this provide some sort of benefit when I apply to these programs for IM?
- How valuable is AOA? Is it worth sacrificing research time to try and get AOA?
- What are some ways to network at programs in the NE if I'll be in the midwest for a good chunk of time?

Thanks a ton in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

AOA is more important than research, and you already have 10 papers and going to a T20 school
Disagree. OP going to NW or UChicago. I imagine competition to get AOA will be very tight. You could be a great student at those places and not get AOA. Looking at rank lists from those schools, plenty of those students get into top NE programs without AOA.

OP, if you do some research in med school and are in the top third of your class, you should have a decent shot at NE top IM programs.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Disagree. OP going to NW or UChicago. I imagine competition to get AOA will be very tight. You could be a great student at those places and not get AOA. Looking at rank lists from those schools, plenty of those students get into top NE programs without AOA.

OP, if you do some research in med school and are in the top third of your class, you should have a decent shot at NE top IM programs.
OP has 10 papers already. They're already in the top 1% or so of IM applicants for those programs with regards to research. Adding more research doesn't really add much other than continuity. Getting AOA will help even more on top of the added school name.

Is AOA necessary when OP is coming from top schools? No. Does it help? Yes

Reactions: 1 user
@Lawpy @Miles Gloriosus
Thank you both for the insight! I think I will definitely try to get AOA, but not going to expect it. I'm hoping my research can carry me a bit if I don't end up getting AOA.

Do you have any advice for networking/making connections at programs in the NE?

@Lawpy @Miles Gloriosus
Thank you both for the insight! I think I will definitely try to get AOA, but not going to expect it. I'm hoping my research can carry me a bit if I don't end up getting AOA.

Do you have any advice for networking/making connections at programs in the NE?
Away rotations, conferences, maybe summer research at the programs

Also your school very likely has a strong alumni network and the resources/connections to help you match there so being friendly with the admins early on will be huge

If you will already have 10 pubs and are going to UChicago or Northwestern, you don't have to worry about AOA to match into a top program in the Northeast. AOA is important for low/low-mid tier med schools like mine to have a shot at top IM programs.

Focus on your classes, do well, get excellent LoRs. Pick an IM subspecialty or area and try to differentiate yourself going forward by focusing your research in that area. Top IM programs want candidates who will eventually become experts in something.

Dont do away rotations for IM, they're generally not worth it. Connections didnt seem to be that important either, at least compared to smaller fields like surgery subspecialties. The most important factors I saw when going through residency interviews are step scores, clerkship grades (importantly IM), school ranking, letters, and then research/other ECs. Deficiencies in one or more mean you need to compensate in others. Uchicago/Northwestern will do great for you, so I'd say the two most important, doable things for maximizing your chances at top IM are killing step 2 and step 1 if it's scored (aim for >average at least) and honoring internal medicine clerkship or at least high pass, w.e the second best grade is. Some research can help too, but scores, good clerkship grades, and your school will basically carry you into a top 30-20 program as long as you interview fine and have good letters.

If we're talking the top 4 like MGH, BWH then those are more of a crapshoot and no guarantees but AOA would definitely help and continuing productive research. But with the above you'd be in a great position for other top NE programs like BIDMC, Yale, Cornell, etc

Last edited:
Dont do away rotations for IM, they're generally not worth it. Connections didnt seem to be that important either, at least compared to smaller fields like surgery subspecialties. The most important factors I saw when going through residency interviews are step scores, clerkship grades (importantly IM), school ranking, letters, and then research/other ECs. Deficiencies in one or more mean you need to compensate in others. Uchicago/Northwestern will do great for you, so I'd say the two most important, doable things for maximizing your chances at top IM are killing step 2 and step 1 if it's scored (aim for >average at least) and honoring internal medicine clerkship or at least high pass, w.e the second best grade is. Some research can help too, but scores, good clerkship grades, and your school will basically carry you into a top 30-20 program as long as you interview fine and have good letters.

If we're talking the top 4 like MGH, BWH then those are more of a crapshoot and no guarantees but AOA would definitely help and continuing productive research. But with the above you'd be in a great position for other top NE programs like BIDMC, Yale, Cornell, etc

What EC's do you think are important for matching well in IM and for people going to Top 20's do EC's matter beyond research?

you need to put on your best lipstick and kiss lots and lots of butt.

OP, asking for my premed self, but could you share how you got so many pubs and abstracts before even starting med school?! That’s such an amazing accomplishment!

OP, asking for my premed self, but could you share how you got so many pubs and abstracts before even starting med school?! That’s such an amazing accomplishment!
Luck - finding the right PI/joining at the "right time" when a lot of studies are wrapping up.

By the "right PI," I mean someone who will give you more responsibilities, allow you to work in different studies, and give you opportunities to become a co-author.

I'm no excellent researcher by any means, but one important piece of advice I'd give is to always over-deliver and never over-promise.

Reactions: 2 users
Take on a gunner mentality and you will maximize your chances at everything.

What EC's do you think are important for matching well in IM and for people going to Top 20's do EC's matter beyond research?
Nothing in particular, certainly ECs can help you stand out for example things like leadership, but they are much lower in importance compared to the things discussed, especially if you're at top 20s. If you have something obviously impressive like military service, professional/olympic sports, etc something that will "wow" someone that's great or could compensate for poor scores or grades, but otherwise just do the ECs and hobbies that interest you. Programs want to see you're a human too

If you're at a top 20 and have the test scores, grades, and maybe some pubs, you will very likely match top 20.

Last edited: