MD incoming MS1 seeking research advice (interested in rads, radonc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umami!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of similar threads (advice for incoming MS1, how to find research in med school, etc.) and I was hoping to get some more insight as someone interested in radiology and radiation oncology.

My questions:
  1. My school doesn't have a radonc residency program. Other than doing away rotations when the time comes, how will this affect me?
  2. I've been told research can only help for any specialty, but that being competitive for radonc will require it. I will have two pubs (second author and mid-level author), two abstracts, and a presentation within the year - all neuroradiology related from my two gap years. Will these even matter later or am I basically back to square one?
  3. I've read that radonc applicants should have oncology-related research. I have a research stint lined up for next summer with the lab I worked with this past year. Will having all this radiology research hurt me if I end up choosing radonc down the line (or any other specialty, for that matter)?
My current plan:
- enjoy summer (netflix galore!)
- get acclimated to med school
- find research
- ... ??? ... profit (hopefully)

Thanks everyone! Sorry to be that antsy, gung-ho pre-med on this forum - I just want to mentally get all my ducks in a row.

Members don't see this ad.

1) It's a disadvantage in terms of networking, research, letters, etc. You need to be aggressive with putting yourself out there, such as doing 2-3 aways, networking during conferences like ASTRO, etc. Are you allowed to do a research elective in a different institution during your 3rd year?

2) They matter to some extent, but not as much as your rad onc research during medical school.

3) It will not hurt you, but probably will not be helpful as much as, say, rad onc research specifically. If you want to do rad onc, ideally you need to work with rad onc attendings for research. This will also help you with letters and networking down the road. If you really enjoy your research in radiology and are sure you will continue to be productive, then you should go for it. But understand that you could have used that summer for going to a different institution where you could get to know rad onc attendings, residents, and do rad onc research. I would also consider taking a year off for rad onc research if you feel you need more research.

This was really helpful, thank you very much!

I've looked into it and it seems like all third year electives need to be done in house, including research. In that case, maybe a research year would be a good plan for me; I'll keep this in mind once advisor meetings come around.

Since my old lab did a lot of collaborating with the radonc department and I have some radonc contacts, I could potentially be put on some radonc projects next summer; I know that I'll have a productive summer by continuing the rad research I've already worked on so I'm wary to pass that up. Not to mention the lab is at a UC and I'm really hoping to match back to CA when the time comes, so I figure it can't hurt to get more research hours from there.

Radonc does seem to be the harder road here since I don't have as many easily available resources when it comes to networking and research... but I guess I'll just have to see how it goes!

1) It's a disadvantage in terms of networking, research, letters, etc. You need to be aggressive with putting yourself out there, such as doing 2-3 aways, networking during conferences like ASTRO, etc. Are you allowed to do a research elective in a different institution during your 3rd year?

2) They matter to some extent, but not as much as your rad onc research during medical school.

3) It will not hurt you, but probably will not be helpful as much as, say, rad onc research specifically. If you want to do rad onc, ideally you need to work with rad onc attendings for research. This will also help you with letters and networking down the road. If you really enjoy your research in radiology and are sure you will continue to be productive, then you should go for it. But understand that you could have used that summer for going to a different institution where you could get to know rad onc attendings, residents, and do rad onc research. I would also consider taking a year off for rad onc research if you feel you need more research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, congrats on making it to med school. It's great to have a solid plan and you're way ahead of the curve here. Just to answer your questions:
First, you have to make sure you do well in your class and more importantly do well on the STEP. Radonc does need a lot of research, but don't take on too many projects and let that hinder your performance on the test.
1) Not having a home program hurts as that's one less interview. However, it'll just force you to have to branch out and spend more time in other programs. I don't think it'll be too big of a drawback.
2) This is great! Again you're already a few steps ahead of most people. They do matter but as the above poster said, med school research matters more. However, make sure to list these on your application down the road.
3) The research won't hurt you when doing rad or rad onc. However, if you switch gears completely to something like ophtho, then they don't care about that research. Again, won't hurt, it just doesn't help.

Enjoy your summer!

Thanks @LyMed! I've read some of your posts in other threads and they're always helpful and encouraging - I appreciate that a lot!