Incorporating Textbooks in Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How do you incorporate textbooks in your studying?

• Never refer to class textbooks

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Sometimes scan through textbooks for additional relevant information

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • For further reading on only the more complex/unclear material

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • A single read through the material that corresponds to the lectures

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Take comprehensive notes

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

altitude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you incorporate class textbooks in your studying? Do you take detailed notes on the textbook? Read the material corresponding to the lecture once through to get a different view?

Members don't see this ad.

Read the textbook before and after the lecture, for actual studying I write a bunch of notes as I read the textbook (or, conversely, I'll just do abunch of problems and use the book for conceptual learning).

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you incorporate class textbooks in your studying? Do you take detailed notes on the textbook? Read the material corresponding to the lecture once through to get a different view?

I read the textbook really thoroughly before going to lecture and then use the time in lecture to expand upon my current knowledge. I find that old habits die hard for most people, so do whatever it is you've been doing to get good marks and I guess the rest will follow.

Definitely depends on the subject. Biology, psychology, etc., I definitely read the textbook thoroughly before lecture and take extensive notes. To review for the test, I read my notes alongside my textbook. For a class like chemistry or math that is more problem-based, I tend to read the sections that I'm confused about after the lecture but not before. To review for the tests, I will read the textbook in its entirety though. That wasn't one of your poll choices though.... :)

Really, though, whatever works. Some people really like lecture to be more of a review and just cementing the concepts they've already learned. Other people don't want to pre-read and get the wrong idea about things, so they prefer to read after lecture so they're not staring at a wall of nonsensical text. I can see the merit to both sides, and I employ them both for different subjects :)

Stopped buying textbooks after sophomore year. They are too overpriced and you can find the same information online if you are willing to search for it and I was a broke college student. I usually took notes, looked at powerpoint slides (if any) and studied with people who had books.

Stopped buying textbooks after sophomore year. They are too overpriced and you can find the same information online if you are willing to search for it and I was a broke college student. I usually took notes, looked at powerpoint slides (if any) and studied with people who had books.

Basically this.