Indiana Cheating...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UCONN had a cheating scandal as well.

can u elaborate on that? I graduated a few years back from Uconn and I am not awared of any cheating what so ever. It'd be interesting to know what went on. U can pm me.

Members don't see this ad.

can u elaborate on that? I graduated a few years back from Uconn and I am not awared of any cheating what so ever. It'd be interesting to know what went on. U can pm me.

I am sorry I confused a cheating scandal with another issue with the dental school was having.

just because you can see a x ray or a pic of a lady with a tumor that will be on the exam does not necessarily help you on the exam. there could be a lot of different questions that could be asked and so by accessing these images they certainly didnt not gain a whole lot. another thing that was sad is that most of these people would have never needed to cheat.(the class is known to be pretty smart and competitve).

Knowing that the "lady" exhibited a particular type of "tumor" surely didn't hurt. If nothing else they had the advantage of knowing the type of tumor and x-ray pathology that was involved. This gave them ample time to study anything and everything about the condition.

The incident certainly casts a shadow on your comment on how "smart" they were. Ignoring for the moment the fact they got caught, one cannot help but wonder if their academic achievements were not a result of their "technical ingenuity".

Members don't see this ad :)
Knowing that the "lady" exhibited a particular type of "tumor" surely didn't hurt. If nothing else they had the advantage of knowing the type of tumor and x-ray pathology that was involved. This gave them ample time to study anything and everything about the condition.

The incident certainly casts a shadow on your comment on how "smart" they were. Ignoring for the moment the fact they got caught, one cannot help but wonder if their academic achievements were not a result of their "technical ingenuity".

some of them were in the top 5 of their class. they simply didnt need to cheat. again, just a bad mistake.

some of them were in the top 5 of their class. they simply didnt need to cheat. again, just a bad mistake.

The number 1 student in a graduating class of of ~500 has been known to use cheat sheets during his physics tests. Makes one wonder how he got his valedictorian position. Same doubt remains about the top 5 students in the class.

I'm glad the school had the guts to expel the cheaters. There was one person at my school a few years back who was found to have cheated on just about every lab project he ever did. He got a 1 quarter suspension and graduated on time with his class. He had to do a GPR instead of ortho, but eventually his 99 on part one overshadowed his past and now he's in ortho residency. Disgraceful. It tarnishes the name of the school and cheapens the hard work of every other student.

UCONN's issues are more related to what happened to this poor soul.
www.lawsuitagainstuconn.com.
Or something like that.

The "or something like that" part might be more relevant here given some of the excerpts from this persons situation, since one would assume that most dental students haven't done this before:

"In 1990 when I was a senior in high school I became involved in planning peaceful political protests with some college students at Wesleyan University. We made the unfortunate choice to commit an act of protest in the form of arson on a Wesleyan University building as part of those protests"

Nor one would assume that too many dental students have this going against them:

" The summer following the arson I was caught and later convicted as an adult. I was a minor at the time I commited the arson and I cooperated with the government, but my crime was kept a matter of public record"

Not knowing what this person was convicted of, but if a felony, you couldn't be a dental student since there would ultimately be issues with obtaining one's DEA license.

After reading this person situation, and what I know of the UCONN events, while slightly similiar on the surface, its seems to be more of an "apples and oranges" comparison

Everyone cheats in life, in some form or another. You do too, although perhaps not in this specific matter. Get off your high horse and look deep within your own heart before you spew off some self-righteous rant.

No everyone does not cheat. This is the tone taken by those who have cheated in the past or are doing it now. I will say that cheating goes on in many places and takes many forms, but to make the huge generalization that everyone cheats is not accurate.

Actually, I have respect for IU for having the nerve to discipline those involved. Many schools would have tried to sweep this under the rug or, worse, individual instructors will pretend to see nothing when their "favorite" students cheat and subsequently act shocked when someone points this out.

Many people (not everyone) will cheat, but so few will actually stand and do something about it.

I just thought that I'd mention that all of the dismissals of the 9 students at IU have been changed to suspensions. Some are saying that their suspensions are even lighter than others who didn't dare to appeal.

I guess that Indiana couldn't do without the money. Hopefully they'll do without their reputation.

Due to this cheating scandal at IUSD, us first-year students are "DRILLED" and "GRILLED" about dental ethics and "professionalism."

I think this course is debatable. Of course, us dentists must be ethical when it comes to deicison making. However, the course that we're required to take is lengthy.

I just thought that I'd mention that all of the dismissals of the 9 students at IU have been changed to suspensions. Some are saying that their suspensions are even lighter than others who didn't dare to appeal.

I guess that Indiana couldn't do without the money. Hopefully they'll do without their reputation.

yep. after all said and done only one person is no longer with IUSD. thats because he withdrew. had he not withdrwn his dismissal would have been overturned like others.

dentists are as dishonest as lawyers and everyone knows that like most dentists are known as crooks.. so no what those students did wasn't bad they were acting on their dental instincts

dentists are as dishonest as lawyers and everyone knows that like most dentists are known as crooks.. so no what those students did wasn't bad they were acting on their dental instincts

If this is how you truly feel, you're going into the wrong profession. Most dentists are very ethical and caring people.

I would disagree with the two previous statements. Not all lawyers are dishonest. In fact, there are quite are few that are hard working and very admirable. At the same time, not all dentists are saints. Just look at the horror stories on this forum about disingenuous instructors. Also, I have worked with a few dentists who weren't worth a darn and could've given a dam about patient care.

To lump anyone group of people in the good guy/bad guy camp based on their professions has never been warranted or proven and is akin to profiling in my humble opinion. There are always going to be jokers in every profession. Dentistry is no exception.