Info Regarding Jobs After Doing MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolmavs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out for a number of days as to what are the job opportunities immediately after one has finished a MPH degree? What is the sort of pay that one can expect IMMEDIATELY AFTER finishing the course? Does the specialization that one pursues have a significant impact on the sort of jobs that are on offer? Example if I specialize in Epidemiology, will the job prospects differ significantly, say from doing a specialization in Environment and Occupational Health? If yes, what is the most preferred specialization as far as the job prospects are concerned? Also the university that one does their graduation from have an effect on this? I mean will the pay be substantially different if I have done my graduation from say Harvard as compared to Suny Albany or Texas Houston HSC?
I know this is asking for too much, but i have been trying to get this information for quite a few days but to no avail.... :( :( .If anybody can even suggest any web source for the same the help will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

coolmavs said:
I have been trying to figure out for a number of days as to what are the job opportunities immediately after one has finished a MPH degree? What is the sort of pay that one can expect IMMEDIATELY AFTER finishing the course? Does the specialization that one pursues have a significant impact on the sort of jobs that are on offer? Example if I specialize in Epidemiology, will the job prospects differ significantly, say from doing a specialization in Environment and Occupational Health? If yes, what is the most preferred specialization as far as the job prospects are concerned? Also the university that one does their graduation from have an effect on this? I mean will the pay be substantially different if I have done my graduation from say Harvard as compared to Suny Albany or Texas Houston HSC?
I know this is asking for too much, but i have been trying to get this information for quite a few days but to no avail.... :( :( .If anybody can even suggest any web source for the same the help will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the most popular posting site for public health related jobs: http://cfusion.sph.emory.edu/PHEC/phec.cfm
This may give you some answers to your questions.

I hate to tell you this, but it's not very good for having just a MPH. Most jobs require an insane amount of experience (5+ years) that most people don't have fresh out of a program (unless of course, you had a public health job before getting your MPH) and there are schools that are dumping large amounts of MPH graduated on the market. Additionally, should you find a job, your opportunities for advancement are very limited.

The pay is about $40000 a year but depends on location.

The MPH is a great degree in combination with an advance degree such as a M.D., D.D.S., or D.V.M. but is not a good stand alone degree.

coolmavs said:

If you do an MPH in Environmental Health at an SPH that grants the CIH (certified industrial hygeneist), pay begins in the 70k range. If you have the CIH the school doesn't matter much beyond providing contacts.

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank You Brain And Foughtfyr for your replies. You guys ROCK :thumbup: :thumbup:. The picture appears a lot more clearer but a bit gloomy :scared: :scared: . I am asking this in the context that I am a foreign graduate and I plan to take up residency ASAP after the completion of masters in public health. But if I dont get any funding ( due to the limited opportunities to international students) and I end up spending th eentire tution amount from my own pocket is it advisable that I put in th ekind of money that a Harvard requires and complete the course in 9 months and work for a year before getting a residency or look for a comparatively lesser university say Houston HSC or SUny Albany and finish the course in a year and a half albeit at a lower fees.
Brain Thanks for the :thumbup: site and I will definitely look it up before I make any decision.
Foughtfyr thanks for the suggestion and actually I am inclined towards Environment and Occupational Health, so that I hope (TOUCH WOOD) will help my cause. As far as the CIH certification is concerned will that be mentioned on each indiviual university's website or is there a CIH website where I can find all the info at one place.

coolmavs said:
Foughtfyr thanks for the suggestion and actually I am inclined towards Environment and Occupational Health, so that I hope (TOUCH WOOD) will help my cause. As far as the CIH certification is concerned will that be mentioned on each indiviual university's website or is there a CIH website where I can find all the info at one place.

I would imagine this website: http://www.abih.org/homepage.htm would have what you are looking for somewhere. But, if not, I know that UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago) offers the program and is very "open" to foriegn citizens. Look here: http://www.uic.edu/sph/special_abet.htm

- H

very informative. what about the quality of school one graduates from? any thoughts??