Informal PostBacc - Yet again... Yet another "Chance me" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

EastAfrique

Hi,

I'm a recent graduate of the University of Ottawa. I have completed a four year degree in Honours Bachelor of Health Sciences. Here comes the shock: My cGPA is 2.6 out of 4.0. I am well aware that this is an abysmal performance, and it is due to a general downhill trend in my life as a whole. My first year did not go well and I had a tough time stopping the flood by then.

I know that I am capable of performing to the competitive standards of dental schools, as most of my academic issues lay in not attending class. Over the past few weeks I've had some of my worst bouts of depression, and it has motivated me to try again. At first I was considering redoing my entire undergrad, but then I had thought maybe just doing my prerequisites was a better option.

I know that many people have gone through post-bac programs, but I was hoping someone could give me some clarity on exactly what I need to do to get an offer of admission. I am willing to take the time to redo my prerequisites over a couple years, and I know it's a risk if I do not get in, but I want to know if I must take all of my prerequisites over again, or just the ones that I did not do well in.

Is only taking prerequisites a viable option to begin with?

Thank you for your time and consideration of my situation. I know it's bad, and things could have been better if I had done better, but there isn't anything I can do to change the past.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you do in your prereqs?

Do not do another Bachelors.

Do a postbacc or Masters. I'm not even sure if you'd be accepted into anything formal with a 2.6. You may need to do an informal one and then prove you can do well and then apply.

Get a 3.5 or better in your postbacc or Masters and with a decent GPA and a well-rounded app, you could have a shot.

I did not do all that well in my science courses. In fact I had some failures and D+'s. Is this worth a try, or is it unrealistic?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're really considering spending 2+ more years trying to do something to get into dental school, your resource should be the school, not us. Most of us (myself included) really don't know the minds of the admissions committee. Make some contacts, call some schools, and see what they say.

I did not do all that well in my science courses. In fact I had some failures and D+'s. Is this worth a try, or is it unrealistic?

If that's in the prereqs, you must repeat them. No way around that.

Figure out where you went wrong and turn it around. Believe in yourself and try your best. You're looking at a more difficult road than others, but if you work hard, believe in yourself, and dedicate the time and energy, it won't be unrealistic.

Thank you. I've sent out emails, but since it's a Friday night in June I'm not expecting answers from them at the moment. I'm likely to drop this path altogether.

I don't know what else I could pursue, I guess I'll search around the forums to learn what other rejects did.