Information on Dental GPRs in Brooklyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloatingInSpace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I am applying to general residency programs in the NYC area, mostly in Brooklyn.

Simply put, I'm wondering if anyone has any information on the programs there other than what is written on their websites. You know, the inside scoop ;)

For completion's sake, I'll list all eleven of the programs (Those listed on the ADEA PASS site):

Brookdale
Brooklyn Hospital
Kings County
Kingsbrook
Lutheran
Maimonides
Interfaith
NY Methodist
VA Medical Center
Woodhull
Wykoff

Honestly, any info would be much appreciate! Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

I did Kings County GPR in 2011. Best program for sure! Did bunch of implants. There's plenty of patients and you'll get to do tons of extractions, endo, implants, restorative - whatever you want. If you like surgery, definitely a great place - attempt all extractions, impacted wisdom teeth - if you get in trouble, you'll have your OS residents colleagues who are working in the room right next to you to help you out. A great place to learn because of the patient pool. Treatment is cheap for them - so they don't hesitate.

Implants were only $500 to place - so lots of patients went for it.

It really was a great program.

I would move Kings county to your top choice instead of third position in your list above.

Let me know if you need more info!

Good luck!

Hello.

I am applying to general residency programs in the NYC area, mostly in Brooklyn.

Simply put, I'm wondering if anyone has any information on the programs there other than what is written on their websites. You know, the inside scoop ;)

For completion's sake, I'll list all eleven of the programs (Those listed on the ADEA PASS site):

Brookdale
Brooklyn Hospital
Kings County
Kingsbrook
Lutheran
Maimonides
Interfaith
NY Methodist
VA Medical Center
Woodhull
Wykoff

Honestly, any info would be much appreciate! Thank You!
Check out Jamaica Hospital- quiet gem of program with a lot of hands on experience. Call is not too bad-sometimes busy, sometimes not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out Jamaica Hospital- quiet gem of program with a lot of hands on experience. Call is not too bad-sometimes busy, sometimes not.

You're either the program director...or a resident who desperately needs someone to share call with.

Either way, i'd love to read that "Jamaica is a gem one more time" on my study break.

Reactions: 1 user
You're either the program director...or a resident who desperately needs someone to share call with.

Either way, i'd love to read that "Jamaica is a gem one more time" on my study break.
ha, ha, ha- am neither...but have volunteered at a few hospitals. Thanks for the vote...maybe someday I will be.

just a note---these programs in general have high turnover rates so the experience can change from year to year. So i guess what i'm saying is no matter what you hear about "general reputation," be sure to ask current residents about their experience (SPECIFIC NUMBERS about procedures, etc). That should be your most accurate gauge. Hope that helps.

For completeness, you left off Coney Island Hospital, which is a new program. I will agree that from year to year these programs can be a bit different. A lot also depends on where you want to live, how you will travel to the hospital, and how street smart you are to negotiate the clearly different neighborhoods. Some hospitals are more public transportation friendly. Some are not. Some have unique characteristics.
Woodhull: closest to Williamsburg.
Methodist: Park Slope, upscale neighborhood
Brooklyn: Borders Ft Greene and DUMBO
Lutheran: Border of Bay Ridge and Sunset Park
Maimonides: Border of Bensonhurst and Boro Park
Wyckoff: Brownsville
VA: Bay Ridge
Coney Island: Speaks for itself
Brooklyn is a big city, and each of these neighborhoods is somehow unique.
I purposely left off Kingsbrook because I do not know it.