Inorganic Chemistry : Required?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas state schools now required inorganic chemistry as pre-reqs - 2 semesters and 2 semesters of lab, do you know why this may be?

Any comments on the course as well as relevance to medical school education/knowledge etc would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Now? It's been like that. 1 yr of Bio,Chem,O Chem, Calc, Physics.

(googled pre reqs)
Two semesters of English Composition
ENGL 1303: Freshman Composition I
ENGL 1304: Freshman Composition II

One semester of Calculus (required for premed, not predent)
MATH 1431: Calculus I
(Prerequisites: MATH 1310, MATH 1330, or placement)

Two semesters of general chemistry with labs
CHEM 1331,1111: Fundamentals of CHEM I (Math 1310 prerequisite)
CHEM 1332, 1112: Fundamentals of CHEM II

Two semesters of introductory biology with labs
BIOL 1431: Introduction to Biological Sciences I
BIOL 1432: Introduction to Biological Sciences II

Two semesters of introductory physics with labs
PHYS 1301,1101: Introductory General Physics I (Math 1330 prerequisite)
PHYS 1302,1102: Introductory General Physics II

Two semesters of organic chemistry with labs
CHEM 3331, 3221: Fund. of Organic Chemistry I
CHEM 3332, 3222: Fund. of Organic Chemistry II

Two semesters of advanced biology
The following courses are especially recommended for preparation for the MCAT and DAT:
BIOL 3324, 3124: Human Physiology & lab
BIOL 2333, 2133: Elementary Microbiology & lab
BCHS 3304, 3201: General Biochemistry I & lab
(Note: UT Houston Dental School requires 3 hours of general biochemistry in addition to the two semesters of advanced biology.)

Other recommended advanced biology courses:
BIOL 3301, 3201: Genetics & lab
BIOL 4323: Immunology
BIOL 4354: Endocrinology
BIOL 4384, 4184: Developmental Biology & lab
BIOL 4373, 4172: Microbial Physiology & lab
BIOL 4374, 4172: Cell Biology & lab

Last edited:
1 year of general chemistry suffices the requirement. The reason they call it inorganic chem instead of just general chem is so that chem majors who AP'ed out of gen chem can suffice the requirement with physical or analytical chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need a good rant about Inorganic. btw...dont take it unless it is absolutely mandatory.

At my school, Indiana University, they are tricky. On the sheet that shows what IUSM requires they say Inorganic Chemistry (not general chemistry). There is an asterisk after is which leads to a long convoluted paragraph that tries to hide the fact that IUSM really only needs general chemistry. IU Chemistry Department just knows nobody would take N330 (inorganic) when they could take C118 (general II). I got my ass handed to me in N330 so I am bitter.

/rant

thanks, I just figured that "inorganic" was just a fancy name/subsitute for "general chemistry"

thanks, I just figured that "inorganic" was just a fancy name/subsitute for "general chemistry"

For most premeds that is correct.

As was mentioned it's mostly for people who AP'd out of "gen chem" and want to take something else instead of repeating the college version of the AP gem chem class.

I have nothing constructive to add so....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvBfHwUxHIk&ob=av2n[/YOUTUBE]

Inorganic is all the stuff people glossed over in ochem... so like all the transition metal catalysts and metallic enzyme cofactors. Also lots of energy, green chem, etc. A fun class IMHO, but it definitely varies from school to school.

I know a lot of places will accept biochem with lab in place of the general chem requirement (assuming you have AP credit for gen chem and that you got your bio requirement fulfilled with other courses). Does that hold true for the Texas schools?

I don't think this is true anywhere. Biochem is an organic chemistry class, not an inorganic chemistry class.

I don't think this is true anywhere. Biochem is an organic chemistry class, not an inorganic chemistry class.

Nope this is definitely true. Biochem counts as gen chem, for some unfathomable reason, for a lot of schools. Not sure which ones don't count it though.

For med schools, gen chem falls under the term "inorganic chemistry". But I think they say that so that you could complete the pre-req with either gen chem or actual inorganic chemistry. Do NOT take actual inorganic chemistry unless you are a Chem or ChemE major. :laugh: You will regret it.

I need a good rant about Inorganic. btw...dont take it unless it is absolutely mandatory.

At my school, Indiana University, they are tricky. On the sheet that shows what IUSM requires they say Inorganic Chemistry (not general chemistry). There is an asterisk after is which leads to a long convoluted paragraph that tries to hide the fact that IUSM really only needs general chemistry. IU Chemistry Department just knows nobody would take N330 (inorganic) when they could take C118 (general II). I got my ass handed to me in N330 so I am bitter.

/rant

I managed to avoid PChem too...

For med schools, gen chem falls under the term "inorganic chemistry". But I think they say that so that you could complete the pre-req with either gen chem or actual inorganic chemistry. Do NOT take actual inorganic chemistry unless you are a Chem or ChemE major. :laugh: You will regret it.

So true. SOOO true.

Its very annoying that some schools use the term inorganic chemsitry instead of general chemistry. Inorganic chemistry most often mean coordination chemisty (metals!) in any chemsitry department, and is pretty different from analytical chemsitry, or physical chemsitry.

Its very annoying that some schools use the term inorganic chemsitry instead of general chemistry. Inorganic chemistry most often mean coordination chemisty (metals!) in any chemsitry department, and is pretty different from analytical chemsitry, or physical chemsitry.

Yeah and the difficulty of inorganic is way beyond gen chem.

I hate MO