Inservice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted547339

Anyone know how long it takes to get scores back for inservice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be pleased if the scantron accidentally ate mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
A nice way of saying that people have cheated on the exam in the past. They find that a high number of folks have the same answers or perfect/high scores, and find out they were googling or being fed the answers.
Actually we see the nationwide scores/percentiles and I can tell you right now that in my tenure (>10 yrs) I have seen very few perfect scores. And no ipads or cell phones are allowed in the testing rooms so "goggling" is a moot point.

I just looked through my old emails...its pretty consistently been released between April 23rd and 30th....for the last 3 years at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, high chance of passing the boards, but pretty crappy score. Ah well, will start to pick it up when it comes to reading this next year. Overall, not really worried.

What's considered a "good score" each year, either by percent correct or percentile?

Thanks!

What's considered a "good score" each year, either by percent correct or percentile?

Thanks!

That all depends on you. If your goal is to pass the boards, that's one thing. If you're goal is to be above average, that's another. If you want to be perfect, that's another.

Let's go with pass the boards and above average.

Let's go with pass the boards and above average.
Just a guess, but if you want to be above average, you probably want to be above the 50th percentile.

Just another guess, but with a ABEM pass rate of 90-94% yearly, to just "pass the boards" you probably want to be at least above the 10th percentile, and the further above the better your chances actually are.

(I'm surprised your guys board hasn't actively been trying to lower the pass rate. I think the ABMS told ABIM they had to lower ours to the mid 80s years ago.)

the sheet of paper that our score came on showed multiple numbers and a break-down.

if you aren't happy with those numbers compared with how your numbers were in med school/prior inservice, study more.

if you scored 80th percentile on average in med school and scored 80th percentile on the inservice compared to other test takers at your PGY level, you should be happy. if you scored 20th percentile on the inservice and are used to scoring better, you should think about changing something.

probably the most important number is the "likelihood of passing boards" percentile. if it's anything less than 99% you should study more.

to be honest, we should all study more.

My ITE was below average. I don't really think I have a below average knowledge base.
On the contrary, I think I know the literature better than most of my collegues.
There are probably some "classic" things I don't know, but some of this stuff really isn't supported anymore.
I want to study to be the best doctor I can be, but maybe I should learn some more outdated stuff that is going to be on the exam.

My ITE was below average. I don't really think I have a below average knowledge base.
On the contrary, I think I know the literature better than most of my collegues.
There are probably some "classic" things I don't know, but some of this stuff really isn't supported anymore.
I want to study to be the best doctor I can be, but maybe I should learn some more outdated stuff that is going to be on the exam.
Remember the mantra...for all standardized medical training/board exams, you need to answer the question as medicine was practiced 3-5 years ago, not as it's being practiced now.

Being up on current literature is a great way to practice your specialty as well as a great way to fail your boards.