Insomnia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Symphony101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hm... I couldn't fall asleep last night after taking the MCATs... and it looks like there will be no zzz's tonight either. :(

And I tried alcohol... piss ass. I've got ridiculous anxiety about my performance now.:idea: i just can't bring myself to go out and celebrate like everyone else. gaaahhh. anyone else feeling like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hm... I couldn't fall asleep last night after taking the MCATs... and it looks like there will be no zzz's tonight either. :(

And I tried alcohol... piss ass. I've got ridiculous anxiety about my performance now.:idea: i just can't bring myself to go out and celebrate like everyone else. gaaahhh. anyone else feeling like this?

yes... im actually amazed that people could go out and party.

i more or less moped and drank. after the test, i didn't exactly have the greatest of feelings, but in retrospect i think i did... okay? hopefully at least

anyways, alcohol induces insomnia, so you should probably stay away from it if youre trying to use it as a sleep aid. it's actually only good at puting you to sleep and not much else. just try playing some sports or having wild sex. youll relax once you realized theres nothing you can do. :laugh:

Not at all. I usually stay up past midnight on Sundays.;)

My Ambien prescription was also up after 3 days, so I'm screwed 'til I readjust. Doesn't help that I'm traveling to Haiti Tuesday morning at 6 AM to do volunteer work.

In short, I feel your pain.:bullcrap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Be happy that this happened to you after your MCAT. I remember the night before my MCAT, I couldn't fall asleep...by the time I did fall asleep, the sun was coming up, and my test was in 3 hours. I took the test like that, and I was as groggy as one can be. I did well, but I am sure I would have done better with some sleep.

During med school, same damn thing. I couldn't fall asleep the night before an exam, consistently. Such a crappy feeling to zone out in the middle, all because of a lack of sleep.

Now, my step 1 is coming up in 2 weeks. I am starting to suffer from the insomnia thing already, I was awake for 4 hours last night trying to fall asleep. I am trying to find a solution, but nothing seems to work. I am desperate, out of luck, no health insurance (no drugs), alcohol doesn't work for me, antihistamines make me groggy for the rest of the day, and I feel like buttcrack that hasn't been washed or wiped.

Be happy that this happened to you after your MCAT. I remember the night before my MCAT, I couldn't fall asleep...by the time I did fall asleep, the sun was coming up, and my test was in 3 hours. I took the test like that, and I was as groggy as one can be. I did well, but I am sure I would have done better with some sleep.

During med school, same damn thing. I couldn't fall asleep the night before an exam, consistently. Such a crappy feeling to zone out in the middle, all because of a lack of sleep.

Now, my step 1 is coming up in 2 weeks. I am starting to suffer from the insomnia thing already, I was awake for 4 hours last night trying to fall asleep. I am trying to find a solution, but nothing seems to work. I am desperate, out of luck, no health insurance (no drugs), alcohol doesn't work for me, antihistamines make me groggy for the rest of the day, and I feel like buttcrack that hasn't been washed or wiped.

Wow ditto. I also have a lot of trouble sleeping before exams. For finals last semester, I got no sleep before any of my finals, even though I tossed around in bed for several hours. And before the MCAT last weekend, I went to bed at 11pm, and wasn't able to fall asleep until 4:30. Then I had to wake up at 6:45. It was the most miserable feeling possible. I think it happens to me from too much stress. The two weeks before the MCAT I was taking 1-2 hrs to fall asleep every night. Thank god I've been sleeping soundly again now that the MCAT is over.

Hey guys, I'm in the same boat over here... It sucks, I'm seriously considering getting an RX for sleep meds for "emergencies" and its totally performance anxiety driven... wish I could just ----> :sleep:

This might be a long shot...but I've seen a bunch of free 7-day trial certificates for Ambien in magazines like Nat'l Geographic lately. I'd take a trip to the public library and bring your clipping scissors. Sounds like you could use it.