Interested in clinical pharm...Hate the idea of working in retail pharm.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cuervos!Cuervos!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance in this matter, but I am not all that familiar with the world of pharmacy careers. However, I am very interested in clinical pharmacy (especially EM and ID). Anyway, like many, I am concerned with the future of the profession and was hoping to get some insight from you all.

How do you all feel about the future of clinical pharmacy( is the outlook equally negative in clinical pharmacy and retail pharmacy or is one worse than the other?) and is it possible to pursue such a career without having to spend very much time in a retail pharmacy?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd caution you against going into pharmacy if you absolutely "hate" retail - 70% of pharmacists work retail.
Careers in clinical pharmacy are getting more interesting as pharmacists' scope of practice is increasing, but for this reason it is even more competitive to get a job in a hospital, clinic, etc.

If you like "clinical" pharmacy then you would be better off going to med or PA school and specializing in your fields of interest. Clinical specialty positions do exist in pharmacy but as others have said, they make up only a tiny fraction of the available positions. About 70% of the jobs are in retail and have always been.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
If you like "clinical" pharmacy then you would be better off going to med or PA school and specializing in your fields of interest. Clinical specialty positions do exist in pharmacy but as others have said, they make up only a tiny fraction of the available positions. About 70% of the jobs are in retail and have always been.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

This is the advice I would give too. What is it about clinical pharmacy that interests you? I'm guessing you'll find out a nurse practitioner or PA program is closer to your interests. In most states and settings clinical pharmacists have very little autonomy.

@pms_testosterone @stoichiometrist @Gombrich12 Thank you all very much for your input. It sounds like pharmacy may not be for me then. My main interests have been those more clinical heavy professions(Med, PA, NP etc) which is why I am so ignorant when it comes to pharm careers. But thought I would take a look at pharmacy as well. I will at least try my best to shadow a pharmacist, even(especially) a retail one. Who knows, maybe that experience will open my eyes to something that I wouldn't dislike as much as I am anticipating.

Any tips on how to go about asking practicing pharmacists for shadowing opportunities? Just cold-call/email?

Thanks again

Reactions: 1 user
I would try maybe going through your school and seeing if they can help set something up? I was able to do that with my school and actually got to shadow a clinical pharmacist at a hospital. Definitely try to get some experience though to see if it's something you would like to do!