marie337

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm starting med school in the fall, so I'm just starting to think about where I want to end up. I'm thinking more and more about psychiatry but I really think that I would like to emphasize counseling more in my practice rather than just med management. Is this still being done out there in the real world? Or, should I be considering psychology instead ? I have seen a few therapists in my life, so I'm pretty familiar with the therapy side of things. I'm really going in to medicine because I like to talk to people and help them and their families get through rough times. I'm not looking for blood and guts. I posted this in the psychiatry forum as well so I can compare input from the two fields.

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
CO
Status
Stick with med school. You can always go back to psychology if you wish. Medical professions are more solid at this stage of the game. I am not sure if you will be able to avoid med management, and you probably shouldn't as this is the nature of the field as it stands. You can be a great psychopharmocologist, and also be a great therapist; it is all is your focus with your patients.

:)

OP
marie337

marie337

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for your honesty. I just don't want to end up in psychiatry only doing med management. I know that it is a big part of any medical field, but I think that psychotherapy could be really fulfilling for me. I would want to incorporate that as much as possible into my practice.

Rolandicfissure

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2004
Status
Paendrag said:
I dunno. I've heard some people opine that psychiatry will not exist in ten years.
Absolutely not true. I am a fourth-year medical student starting Neurology residency at Emory this July, and I assure you that Psychiatry is not an endangered field. The profession is changing, but not disappearing.