interesting advice from a doctor i heard the other day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a doctor I know the other day. A DO, in fact (general surgeon). We were talking about me getting ready to move to Atlanta and start school. So he asks me if I'm doing any reading.

I tell him I've gotten a bunch of books, but I've only thumbed through them, and I'm not really trying to learn anything, because I didn't think I'd be able to retain enough for it to do me any good.

He tells me that I should be reading for three hours a day. I asked him if he really thought I'd be able to learn enough for it to even help at all, and he told me that it didn't matter, and that the point was for me to get used to spending long days studying.

He even told me that it didn't matter what I was reading. He said that, ideally, it should be medical text, but that anything would be good.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much reading I'm actually going to do, but I just found that interesting. Kind of an uncommon perspective on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Yah, my friend, who is M2 at UCI told me you have to be able to read and comprehend just about anything. From super dry material to really cool/interesting material. He told me when reading academically for medschool you have to keep your emotions in check and steady because a really interesting topic can cause you to invest too much time into it, and, adversely, a dry topic can cause you to neglect it completely. Perhaps your doctor is just suggesting you become as literate as possible before you en devour.

on a side note, I was checking out you MDApps and you have pretty legit stats. If you don't mind me asking, why didnt you apply to any top 50 schools? or did you?

I have some pretty legit stats. Some of my stats are also not so hot. My top priority was to stay in TX. That didn't work out, so I didn't care where I went, and I just wanted to find a place I liked. I did, and I am happy with my choice. I withdrew just about everything once I got my acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was talking to a doctor I know the other day. A DO, in fact (general surgeon). We were talking about me getting ready to move to Atlanta and start school. So he asks me if I'm doing any reading.

I tell him I've gotten a bunch of books, but I've only thumbed through them, and I'm not really trying to learn anything, because I didn't think I'd be able to retain enough for it to do me any good.

He tells me that I should be reading for three hours a day. I asked him if he really thought I'd be able to learn enough for it to even help at all, and he told me that it didn't matter, and that the point was for me to get used to spending long days studying.

He even told me that it didn't matter what I was reading. He said that, ideally, it should be medical text, but that anything would be good.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much reading I'm actually going to do, but I just found that interesting. Kind of an uncommon perspective on the matter.

Some people are bred studiers and some just aren't. I look at the MCAT boards sometimes and just read in amazement that someone could possibly study for 10 hours in a day.

I need some motivation, like a test or paper due date, to get me to spend my time studying. The idea that I need to stretch out my study legs just doesn't cut it.

hiie9.jpg

I think spazz is pinky promising to study...

Think three hours a day on SDN makes for good study conditioning? :smuggrin::thumbup:

As far as reading, I do feel there is a huge learning curve in just being able to maintain focus for any period of time. By the time I finished studying for the MCAT, I could literally sit there for 4 hrs at a time... But it didn't start that way.

I am torn in reading now though, because it would take extra time away from my familly that's not going to be there come July 28th. I don't think I can do that to them-- so sink or swim for me baybay!

I can sympathize but it sure would make the transition easier if I could train myself on a new, more-disciplined schedule now. That way when everything hits, I'll be a little more adjusted. Not going so well thus far; I'm struggling with the "last time to do things" mentality as well... I need to get settled in my living accomodations first and foremost.

I kind of feel like the ****'s gonna hit the fan no matter what you do. You'll then adjust because you'll have to. And then you'll look back on the last few months and think "wow, look at all the time I wasted reading medical text for 3 hours a day."

I always take the cliche "JUST HAVE FUN!!! RELAX!!! YOU'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO RELAX AGAIN!!" that comes from med students with a grain of salt. While life as a med student sucks I'm sure because you'll always be carrying something over your head, I sure have plenty of friends who just finished their first year who I was able to have fun with and relax with at various points in the year.

So overall...while reading 3 hours a day might make the transition a little less painful, there's still got to be an adjustment--so why drag the time you'll be in pain out?

So overall...while reading 3 hours a day might make the transition a little less painful, there's still got to be an adjustment--so why drag the time you'll be in pain out?

*puts down well-worn Netter's Anatomy*

Ummm, you make a valid point. I'm gonna go get some beer and turn on Ghost Whisperer (muted) and watch Jennifer Love Hewitt's breasts for roughly an hour. :idea:

Oh, is that why she still has a career? I was completely stumped. Thanks for clearing it up.
omigoh gasapple, everyone knows its her HIPS! (and her pointy black witch shoes and hidden witch hat!). Dr. Midlife and myself already know this. I have always thought it was the shiny incandescent lightbulb forehead myself. No bubble skirt can hide those hips, gasapple! How can you see anything else???
hewitt_500big.jpg

its kind of funny but I was thinking the same as OP's suggestion. I make a habit to spend 1.5hr/day reading ny times, business week, and wiki topics.

I think she was prepping for an upcoming role as a more full-figured woman. She got crucified for one off week when someone caught her in a bathing suit "out of sorts". She's still hot even if she isn't some skeleton by today's standards. So she's not a size 0, I still give her a thumbs up. Maybe I'm reminscing about Party of 5 back in the day.

So she has some hips now; maybe I'm nesting.

jlh4.jpg

Maybe I'll look for Kate Beckinsale in some latex chasing Lichens... Aye, just the thought!

239.jpg

Those two are deliciously good. Oh, and it is Lycans, not Lichens.

I don't think this is bad advice if what you're reading is interesting to you and exposes you to some concepts to think about. I had a subscription to NEJM before I started school and I read a lot of the case studies they have, where a patient presents with a certain symptom and they go through how they work them up. A lot of it was way over my head, but I actually remember several of the cases to this day.

One case I remember in particular was called "Red Snapper or Crab" - red snapper referring to the way TB stains, and the crab referring to cancer. These were the two most likely diagnoses in the case of this patient presenting with night sweats and pleural effusion. Even though I didn't understand a whole lot of the jargon and technical aspects of the case, what left an impression on me was that even after an extensive workup, what finally made the diagnosis was a simple question about the patient's background. It gave me a good example of the concept of why taking a thorough history is so important, and I still carry that with me.

If you do read stuff, I would try to get used to always reading for the big picture and the concepts first. Don't worry about the details, they are meaningless unless you have the big picture to fit them into. Never highlight anything the first time you read it. What would be a waste of your time would be opening up FA and trying to memorize all the leukemia translocations or what the cofactors for pyruvate carboxylase are...you will learn these and forget them several times over your time in med school, but it's no big deal to relearn them when you need to as long as you have a solid foundation.