Interesting Graduation Situation (It even rhymes).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T-Lymphocyte

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm in a interesting situation here regarding my graduation.

First off, I'm a student from the University of Puerto Rico and, interestingly enough, there are no graduations on December. So, having said that, my issue is, I plan on taking the MCAT on April 2019 however, I'm just missing 5 courses until I graduate: Virology/Lab, Human Anatomy and Physiology 2/Lab, a upper-division ethics course, a humanities course, and the physics II lab.
So, here's the deal: I planned on dropping the physics II lab, which would give me one day of the week completely free (which I plan on using to study for the MCAT, in addition to the weekends and a couple of hours on other week days, but extensively on that free weekday) and on top of that, dropping this course would give me a "lighter" course load (as far as "lighter" goes), to balance out my MCAT studying while maintaining my GPA up. But mostly to get a good MCAT score and I REALLY need as much time as I can get to study.
Hoooooweeeeverrrr, should I drop the physics II lab, I'd have to take it during the summer of 2019. Meaning I would finish my undergraduate degree on that summer, but since there are no graduations until May 2020, I wouldn't have my diploma until then - one whole year after I actually finished all the courses, yikes!

So, for the AMCAS, I'd have to put in "Graduation year: 2020", right? Even though I technically finished up during 2019.

And how do you think mainland US schools would look at this? I plan on doing a research heavy post-bach from august 2019-may 2020 on the island. Wouldn't this look like "conflicting" information: post-bachelors 2019-2020, Undergrad graduation date: 2020. RIP.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, yeah, I'd be real. If I graduate on May 2020, then I'd put in the AMCAS: May 2020, even though I actually finished all the credits required for the degree on June 2019. I'm just worried about it sounding like potential conflicting info regarding the post bachelor's.
Haven't a clue. I suspect that you should put down your graduation year the honest-to-God year you get your degree, I surmise.

@gonnif ???

I see what you mean, I think. It’s more like a fifth year of undergrad. And that would be fine. Maybe that’s what you should do. You haven’t given us any stats or reasons why you need a post bacc. Maybe don’t take so many hours next semester so you can study well for the MCAT and then finish your degree and do upper level science classes all of next year and get your degree in May 2020!

Finishing coursework is NOT completion of a degree. Only when you are awarded the degree, that is when you formally graduate, is the date that you put down. And this date should match what it says on your formal transcript.
@gonnif @Goro Alright, I wasn't ever thinking or even considering to the slightest about lying in the AMCAS.
The question is, how would adcoms potentially react upon seeing: Undergrad Graduation date: 2020 & post-bacc: 2019-2020. It would look like something isn't adding up, making me look like a potential bad liar, right? At least that's my take away from it, but I wanted to know your's.

Last edited:
I see what you mean, I think. It’s more like a fifth year of undergrad. And that would be fine. Maybe that’s what you should do. You haven’t given us any stats or reasons why you need a post bacc. Maybe don’t take so many hours next semester so you can study well for the MCAT and then finish your degree and do upper level science classes all of next year and get your degree in May 2020!
Yeah, GPA-wise I don't really need a post-bacc since it's >3.8cGPA/sGPA. However, I did take the MCAT once, and the results were disappointing to say the least, <500 ( I didn't prep AT ALL). I decided to apply to a research heavy post-bacc, not to increase the GPA, but to gain even more research experience during my GAP year.

I will give you the definitive answer: it doesnt matter. Since you have to report your graduation date as when it is awarded, worrying about how the adcom will interpet something you cant influence just causes worry and stress. It is what it is. Move on
Alright, you're right.
Thanks for the feedback:D