Internal Medicine or Psych Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which residency to apply to??

• Psych

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Internal Med

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for a friend who is stuck between these two fields with residency applications right around the corner. She values ease of lifestyle most (Both residency and post-residency). She's interested in both fields. She feels psych is not as fast-paced and she can go at a slower pace. But, she feels medicine offers more possibilities in case she decides to specialize. I would appreciate any opinions on what she should do.

Members don't see this ad.

Asking for a friend who is stuck between these two fields with residency applications right around the corner. She values ease of lifestyle most (Both residency and post-residency). She's interested in both fields. She feels psych is not as fast-paced and she can go at a slower pace. But, she feels medicine offers more possibilities in case she decides to specialize. I would appreciate any opinions on what she should do.
Maybe one thing to consider is the negatives in addition to the positives, the cons in addition to the pros? What she does not like or can't tolerate well in each field in addition to what she likes.

You know that saying "only do surgery if you can't be happy doing anything else"?

The cousin to that axiom is "if you can be happy doing psych, do psych". (Also works for derm.)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Which one does everyone think is more competitive?

Reactions: 2 users
Someone needs to start a thread on that STAT.
The Med Specialty Selector tool, if accurate, seems to explain how competitive each specialty is and gives me hope. I'm interested in a couple of non-competitive fields... they are also fields not known to have the greatest pay compared to, say, cardiology. I'd be fine with that though. I still have a lot to learn, but I suspect there are less post-midnight calls for endocrine emergencies than there are for heart-related emergencies.

The Med Specialty Selector tool, if accurate, seems to explain how competitive each specialty is and gives me hope. I'm interested in a couple of non-competitive fields... they are also fields not known to have the greatest pay compared to, say, cardiology. I'd be fine with that though. I still have a lot to learn, but I suspect there are less post-midnight calls for endocrine emergencies than there are for heart-related emergencies.

It was a joke bro.

Psych. If slow pace is an issue tell "your friend" to get some Psych ER experience. How long does your friend expect to work? Slow pace might be a positive when you hit your 60s and still want to work.

Psych. If slow pace is an issue tell "your friend" to get some Psych ER experience. How long does your friend expect to work? Slow pace might be a positive when you hit your 60s and still want to work.
I love our psych consults in ED (from an ED perspective). Pretty amazing how helpful they are to so many patients. At least where I am. Made me consider psych for a little bit, though my personality isn't wired well enough to make it as a psychiatrist.