International applying to medical school in UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Littraw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a friend (from Turkey) who is planning on coming to the UK to study in a medical school. As I currently live in Cardiff I offered my help to assist him for whatever must be done.

But there is a few things I can't find :
- He has already done 3 years in his medical school. If he comes over, will he need to start from the beginning ? Or is there any chance (with a test for example) for him to start the course later ?
- What "problem" will a non-EU student encounters ? Only visa or is there more ?
- Do you know a good website that sum up all the steps he would have to go through ? (I guess an English test, then an exam in the school itself, maybe an interview, what else ?)
- Are the banks willing to help about tuition fees for a med student ?
- And of course ... What are the chances ?

Thank you in advance ! (And forgive me for my English, I am not native)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have a friend (from Turkey) who is planning on coming to the UK to study in a medical school. As I currently live in Cardiff I offered my help to assist him for whatever must be done.

But there is a few things I can't find :
- He has already done 3 years in his medical school. If he comes over, will he need to start from the beginning ? Or is there any chance (with a test for example) for him to start the course later ?
- What "problem" will a non-EU student encounters ? Only visa or is there more ?
- Do you know a good website that sum up all the steps he would have to go through ? (I guess an English test, then an exam in the school itself, maybe an interview, what else ?)
- Are the banks willing to help about tuition fees for a med student ?
- And of course ... What are the chances ?

Thank you in advance ! (And forgive me for my English, I am not native)

1) He will likely need to start from the beginning. Transfers are rare from one UK school to another. I can't with 100% certainty that he won't be able to start with advanced standing but I just think it's unlikely.

2) A non-EU student wouldn't face as big of a problem studying in the UK as he would staying there after graduation. Without a legal right to work in the UK (e.g. EU citizenship, marriage to an EU citizen, etc) he is unlikely to be able to stay in the UK after graduation. Visa sponsorship for non-EU citizen medicine graduates is getting harder to get in the UK.

3) Don't know.

4) Don't know about UK banks but Sallie Mae provides a lot of the loans to Canadian students for their tuition and living expenses which is sure to amount to at least £125,000.

5) Chances will depend on how good his qualifications are and how well he performs in an interview. The UK tends to look at high school qualifications for people without a first degree.

Last edited:
Why is he moving? He likely just won't get in to be honest. There is no way he would be able to start as anything other than a first year but more importantly we do not look favourably on people that do not complete courses, it is considered a lack of commitment. He will need to finish medical school where he is. The only way he would really have a chance of being accepted would be if he has to come over to care for a very sick/dying first degree relative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thank you for the answers.
The aim for him would be to get a EU medical degree, so if he is unlikely to transfer to UK is there other EU countries where it would be easier ? (places lacking a lot of doctors maybe)

Ok thank you for the answers.
The aim for him would be to get a EU medical degree, so if he is unlikely to transfer to UK is there other EU countries where it would be easier ? (places lacking a lot of doctors maybe)

I think Poland, Bulgaria, Hungary, Czech Republic, and Italy have English-language medical schools which are slightly easier to get into, not to mention they cost a lot less.

I think Croatia has them too (they're joining the EU this year).

I've got no clue if these schools accept transfers from non-EU schools. Bet to reach out to each school and ask individually.

Hi, can anyone tell me how is dentistry at University of Warwick?

Hi, can anyone tell me how is dentistry at University of Warwick?

Dunno, Dentistry is probably fine anywhere to be honest and Warwick shouldn't be any worse than anywhere else. All you need to know is that its in the UK so the quality is good. If you are looking into licensing in other countries well then i don't know you would have to look that up yourself.

I didn't even know Warwick had a dental school until I read this! As medstart said though as it's a UK school it will be good. As a university Warwick is well regarded if that helps.