International Designation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legit4296

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time positing on this website.

I'm a pre-med finishing up my last semester of undergraduate. I have lived in US since 2007(since the age of 10) and attended and completed middle school, high school and soon will finish college here. This whole time, I have been living with a H-4 dependent visa as I came to US with my parents. I became 21 recently which made me ineligible for a H-4 extension, leaving me no choice but to apply for F-1 (Student Visa).

Based on this information, do you think I will still be designated as a traditional International Medical School student/applicant?

Any helpful comment OR advice is greatly appreciated. Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a pre-med finishing up my last semester of undergraduate. I have lived in US since 2007(since the age of 10) and attended and completed middle school, high school and soon will finish college here. This whole time, I have been living with a H-4 dependent visa as I came to US with my parents. I became 21 recently which made me ineligible for a H-4 extension, leaving me no choice but to apply for F-1 (Student Visa).

Based on this information, do you think I will still be designated as a traditional International Medical School student/applicant?

Any helpful comment OR advice is greatly appreciated.
The first page of the AMCAS application states in two places, your birthplace, citizenship, and visa status, as well as your legal residence (in your case, a USA address). It also give you the chance to claim proficiency in multiple languages, if true. Page 2 gives you the chance to list that both parents also reside in the US. Page 3 gives the name of your high school.

Despite the last two pieces of information, I think you will be designated as an international applicant. Like-Native English proficiency would be a plus, though.

The first page of the AMCAS application states in two places, your birthplace, citizenship, and visa status, as well as your legal residence (in your case, a USA address). It also give you the chance to claim proficiency in multiple languages, if true. Page 2 gives you the chance to list that both parents also reside in the US. Page 3 gives the name of your high school.

Despite the last two pieces of information, I think you will be designated as an international applicant. Like-Native English proficiency would be a plus, though.

In your opinion, despite the international designation will adcoms evaluate me like most international applicants or more like a permanent resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think without citizenship or permanent residency you’re international in this case. Are you eligible for federal loans as it stands?

@LizzyM is well versed in this I believe, as is @Goro on the DO side of the asile.

I think without citizenship or permanent residency you’re international in this case. Are you eligible for federal loans as it stands?

@LizzyM is well versed in this I believe, as is @Goro on the DO side of the asile.
There are 14 DO schools that take internationals. Mine requires green card