International Options for Podiatry ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pod101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Pre-Pods and fully realized Pods:

As I continue to learn more about podiatry with each passing day, one question came up. How are US podiatrists treated internationally?

e.g. If I wanted to work abroad, what are my options? What am I legally allowed to do?

I saw a video on you tube of Chicago Pod students working in Africa. I was also told by the pod I shadowed she is doing Doctors with out boarders to demonstrate new reconstructive rear foot procedures. I know US MD professionals are held in high regard. I BELIEVE DO's are not fully recognized every where they go (Believe Japan and a few other nations offer road blocks).

I am interested in international studies/work. However, I realized that not all "podiatry" degrees are equal (See Australia vs. US). So how are we treated? What are we allowed to do? AND most importantly, what shoes should I wear (kidding :) )

Members don't see this ad.

Some provinces in Canada treat DPMs the same as in the US in terms of scope and status (Alberta and British Columbia being two that come to mind). Not sure how the other provinces view or treat DPMs.

The only other countries (that I know of) where Podiatry exists as a profession besides the US and Canada are New Zealand, Australia, and the UK. As far as I'm aware, Podiatry is not a doctorate level degree in these countries like it is here in the US and you can practice podiatry with a Bachelors' and can perform surgery with a Masters'. I have no idea if or how a DPM from the US would transfer over but I imagine you would be given privileges considering the depth of training compared to Podiatry programs in other countries.

Hopefully someone can chip in some additional info or correct me if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
In a lot of third world countries you could probably be a full orthopod.... Lol

My Spanish professor was telling us how he was in Beliz maybe ~10 years ago and needed medication because he got sick. The doctor's ID read, "University of Michigan Medical School, Failed." But he was still practicing in Beliz, so... With your surgical training they'd probably let you do CT work... Lol

I believe there are also opportunities in some of the islands, of course including Puerto Rico which is a US territory. Additionally, I know there were opportunities in Saudi Arabia and I believe Dubai. They were opening a foot clinic which included diabetic/wound care and they were actively advertising for a US trained DPM. I was at a seminar several months ago and met a DPM trained in the US who is practicing in Israel, including surgery. He is employed by a university teaching hospital.

Just learned today...India is a no go. They will NOT accept the degree.

Otherwise...seems that most countries formerly associated or part of the English empire will accept the degree (what exactly you are allowed to varies). However, I did notice that a few DPM's earned a duel degree US DPM / MD's in England. If any of them are still on this forum I invite you to please share your experience.

Just learned today...India is a no go. They will NOT accept the degree.

Otherwise...seems that most countries formerly associated or part of the English empire will accept the degree (what exactly you are allowed to varies). However, I did notice that a few DPM's earned a duel degree US DPM / MD's in England. If any of them are still on this forum I invite you to please share your experience.

Very interested in this too, thanks for the info guys!

Maybe someone from Temple can answer this. I noticed on the Temple handbook it says "School within a university that has campuses in Rome, London, etc..". Do students have the option of traveling internationally or something?

Maybe someone from Temple can answer this. I noticed on the Temple handbook it says "School within a university that has campuses in Rome, London, etc..". Do students have the option of traveling internationally or something?

Lol no.