International pre-dental student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mahsafi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I am an international pre-dental student studying in the U.S. I have finished my freshman year as a Biomedical engineering major (GPA 3.96/4). However, my advisors suggest that I change my major to an easier major so that I can keep my high GPA till graduation. For instance, Neurobiology which is my favorite. I myself have no problem with changing my major, but I have heard that it is super hard for international students to get into dental schools.:( So, I am not sure if changing my major is a right decision for me at this time. Dentistry is my dream, but I just don't want to end up with a B.S in biology and no admission offers from dental schools. If I stay with Biomedical engineering though, I might not have a decent GPA, but I will have a major I can rely on.
I feel hopeless and confused right now. I know that I would definitely get into a dental school if I were a PR or citizen, but I might have no chance as an international student.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you guys know how likely it is for an international student to get into dental schools?
Thanks for understanding. :)

Members don't see this ad.

International student here too. I majored in biochem and business because I was interested in both. I’d say follow what youre interest is in. If you like Neurobiology better I’d stick with that. I’m fairly confident you can find jobs or go to grad school in that field as an international student.
You seem to be doing extremely well for engineering so I wouldn’t switch out of fear of keeping your GPA up.
Getting into dental school is competitive but yes probably even more so for internationals. However, there are many private schools which don’t really care about nationality (NYU, Boston) and also other state/private schools that value achievement and give admittance to several internationals. You definitely must have good stats and involvement I’d say as an international. Find the right major and get involved and better at what you do. Also Makesure you work on dexterity. From interviews this cycle no one really asked me much about research (not even at research intensive schools) but pretty much every school asked me what I did to work on my manual dexterity

Reactions: 2 users
Harder but not that hard. It's hard if you have a bachelor's from Russia but if you are Russian and graduated from USA, private schools don't care as much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Guys,
I am an international pre-dental student studying in the U.S. I have finished my freshman year as a Biomedical engineering major (GPA 3.96/4). However, my advisors suggest that I change my major to an easier major so that I can keep my high GPA till graduation. For instance, Neurobiology which is my favorite. I myself have no problem with changing my major, but I have heard that it is super hard for international students to get into dental schools.:( So, I am not sure if changing my major is a right decision for me at this time. Dentistry is my dream, but I just don't want to end up with a B.S in biology and no admission offers from dental schools. If I stay with Biomedical engineering though, I might not have a decent GPA, but I will have a major I can rely on.
I feel hopeless and confused right now. I know that I would definitely get into a dental school if I were a PR or citizen, but I might have no chance as an international student.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you guys know how likely it is for an international student to get into dental schools?
Thanks for understanding. :)
Stick with your choice.
2015 Prerequisites
2016 International/Canadian DS Admission Statistics
2014 Majors and DS Admission Trend 2005-2013

Reactions: 1 user