Cluelesssenior

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. So for the past 12 or so years of my life, I've been studying with a CBSE affiliated Indian school. This is my last year.
Now, my 10th grade board examination GPA was pretty damn good, a 9.2 out of 10. But I really slacked off during 11th grade due to some family issues. 12th is going pretty well so far, though I don't know how well it will go during finals.
My question is, since I most probably am NOT getting into any Indian colleges - because I am remarkably dumb compared to Indian students pursuing a career in medicine, - I figured I'd give US universities a shot and I've been looking at SUNY since it is quite reputed and affordable, however, I have absolutely no idea where to even begin narrowing down campuses out of the 64 that I can apply to based solely on the fact that I want to major in premed or biology or something. What would you guys suggest? And please, be patient as I am not familiar with the U.S. college system.
Thank you so much in advance for taking the time out to read this, I hope someone sorts this out for a dumb Indian teenage girl who just wants to become an OB/GYN. Much love xx

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. So for the past 12 or so years of my life, I've been studying with a CBSE affiliated Indian school. This is my last year.
Now, my 10th grade board examination GPA was pretty damn good, a 9.2 out of 10. But I really slacked off during 11th grade due to some family issues. 12th is going pretty well so far, though I don't know how well it will go during finals.
My question is, since I most probably am NOT getting into any Indian colleges - because I am remarkably dumb compared to Indian students pursuing a career in medicine, - I figured I'd give US universities a shot and I've been looking at SUNY since it is quite reputed and affordable, however, I have absolutely no idea where to even begin narrowing down campuses out of the 64 that I can apply to based solely on the fact that I want to major in premed or biology or something. What would you guys suggest? And please, be patient as I am not familiar with the U.S. college system.
Thank you so much in advance for taking the time out to read this, I hope someone sorts this out for a dumb Indian teenage girl who just wants to become an OB/GYN. Much love xx

I don't have a ton of advice, but would point out that you needn't major in premed or biology to go to a US med school. You just need to take the prereqs, but could major in anything that interests you (religion, dance, business, underwater basket weaving, whatever). So I wouldn't eliminate schools that don't have a "premed" major.

A US medical school is a considerable challenge for international students, even if they have done well in a US undergrad.

"In 2014, 1,901 foreign applicants applied to M.D.-granting programs in the United States and 409 of those applicants were accepted. Of those accepted, 300 matriculated into medical school."
Italics, mine.
https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/303912/applyasaninternationalapplicant.html

Reactions: 1 user
Yea applying as an international to college sucks but it is possible. Also if you know you want to do medicine look into private Indian colleges that are easier to get into. The quality of education may not be as good as top colleges but may be an option if you can't get into a U.S. School. Also look at schools that are known to take in a high percent of internationals