International volunteer opportunities in anesthesia.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tee Cell

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done international volunteer work following residency?

I had the chance to do some years ago and loved the experience. Im taking a new job and will have a good chunk of time off. Aside from Docs without Borders what are some other agencies that people have used and liked? What was the time commitment?

Members don't see this ad.

I went to haiti post earthquake. International volunteer work is great for gaining experience, a great way to contribute and give back, looks great on a cv, and makes you feel good about yourself. Do it now when you are young. Tons of options, just google various a mix of keywords such as anesthesia, international, volunteer etc. Operation smile is a good option. Check out ASA global humanitarian outreach program too.

Last edited:
Has anyone done international volunteer work following residency?

I had the chance to do some years ago and loved the experience. Im taking a new job and will have a good chunk of time off. Aside from Docs without Borders what are some other agencies that people have used and liked? What was the time commitment?

CURE International does great work. You can help for a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had several opportunities with Haiti (UofM) and at my current shop. Almost went to Somaliland 4-5 months ago, but the danger factor ticked up and I stepped out.
We have a crew of peeps heading out to Haiti next week.
I was gonna run 2 rooms at the same time... solo. Sometimes in the same OR. :shy:

Yes.
Great experience.

At some sights, you need to buff up on regional as a primary anesthetic, ketamine/thiopental anesthesia and be prepared to step into room air anesthesia.

I've had several opportunities with Haiti (UofM) and at my current shop. Almost went to Somaliland 4-5 months ago, but the danger factor ticked up and I stepped out.
We have a crew of peeps heading out to Haiti next week.
I was gonna run 2 rooms at the same time... solo. Sometimes in the same OR. :shy:

Yes.
Great experience.

We've run 2, sometimes 3 workstations in the same room. But with complete teams, anesthesia, surgeon, and scrub at each station.

Interplast and Variety Children's charity are also good organizations.

I know a group of attending from New Jersey that just went to Guatemala last month of foreign aid work.

I did a 2 week trip with Mercy Ships in the Republic of Congo. Awesome experience! They bring a floating hospital to the people, complete with OR, ICU, CT scanner, etc. The other great thing was working with an international crew and seeing how they practice. You can do anything from 2 weeks to several years.

www.mercyships.org