Interning while at school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glhm93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my 1st semester as a P1 and I would like to begin looking for intern positions at a community or hospital setting around the end of the spring season so that I may begin working in the summer and carrying it into my P2 yr. As of now I am trying to gather as much info as I can and I was wondering are you allowed to pick the number of days per week you choose to work because I've heard of some cases in which interns were fortunate enough to work one day per week in a community setting. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my 1st semester as a P1 and I would like to begin looking for intern positions at a community or hospital setting around the end of the spring season so that I may begin working in the summer and carrying it into my P2 yr. As of now I am trying to gather as much info as I can and I was wondering are you allowed to pick the number of days per week you choose to work because I've heard of some cases in which interns were fortunate enough to work one day per week in a community setting. Thanks in advance.
Usually you can yes. I have been working 8-10 hrs a week sincey first semester started back in August. Most employers will need to work one-two shifts a month so that you stay active in the system.

Last edited:
How much you work is variable by location. Most pharmacies understand that you are a student and need flexibility.

I worked as a retail intern for a year and worked when I wanted. They had a minimum requirement of once a week but it was only ~3 hours. You could do more if you wished.

I currently work for hospital, and I have the option of working as much or as little as I want. My challenge is the hospital schedules a month out. If you say you can work a day and later discover you can't, you have to find someone to take the shift or trade for a day you can work. This can be a challenge, especially if you are not trained to do everything. In retail, I was able to just tell them I couldn't make it. Now, this tends to only be the case if you are "backstage labor" meaning you are paid by corporate not the store so your hours don't affect the stores budget.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your input. It is very much appreciated! :) Are there any particular employers(chains) that are more flexible than others in terms of working with the student in terms of creating their work schedule. Also, does it matter to post graduation employers and residency programs where you intern like would they prefer a chain pharmacy internship vs. independent?

I'm a P1 intern for a store and I'm allowed to work quite a lot. My manager schedules me around my classes and I love it.

Quick question to you all regarding internships: If I am a P1 intern who received a 4 year Walgreen's scholarship and has worked there for 4 previous years as a tech, do you think I have a good first shot at any openings when I graduate? I will graduate in 2017. Or perhaps the better question is, do many interns go unhired by their chains despite wanting employment there?

Quick question to you all regarding internships: If I am a P1 intern who received a 4 year Walgreen's scholarship and has worked there for 4 previous years as a tech, do you think I have a good first shot at any openings when I graduate? I will graduate in 2017. Or perhaps the better question is, do many interns go unhired by their chains despite wanting employment there?

This is something I'd like to know as well, since I plan to stay with the company for all my pharmacy school years.

I did this but the year before me there were interns who did not get hired despite interning. They may not have been willing to relocate.

Would anybody know how many hours interns at duane reade are expected to work in a shift. For example, if a store is open 9-6 , is the intern there all day or for a standard 8 hours? Thanks in advance.

I work for a chain and they allow me to work anywhere from 1 shift every 3 months up to 35 hours in a week.

For me, it was mainly store related.

I was a "floater" student for the most part since I lived away from my "home location". I would just pick up shifts as needed for whichever stores.

But usually student shifts would range from 6-8 hours (depending on how many hours the store had allocated for tech hours during that pay period. I know stores that would ask a student to work 3-4 hours for one shift). Keeping an open communication with your pharmacy manager (or whoever makes your schedule) is key and to always give a heads up and try to be as flexible with your hours if you want a job with them in the future (obviously this is hard with school but always try your best)

For me, it was mainly store related.

I was a "floater" student for the most part since I lived away from my "home location". I would just pick up shifts as needed for whichever stores.

But usually student shifts would range from 6-8 hours (depending on how many hours the store had allocated for tech hours during that pay period. I know stores that would ask a student to work 3-4 hours for one shift). Keeping an open communication with your pharmacy manager (or whoever makes your schedule) is key and to always give a heads up and try to be as flexible with your hours if you want a job with them in the future (obviously this is hard with school but always try your best)

Yeah this is one of the advantages when working for a chain. You could even offer to come in for a few hours just to put away the weekly truck and I bet you'd have some luck.

I work for a chain and they allow me to work anywhere from 1 shift every 3 months up to 35 hours in a week.
Thanks for the reply! Do you think it would be unreasonable to request of a potential employer to work a full day (8 hr shift) per week during school even though they seem to be leaning towards multiple days per week?

I don't think it's unreasonable at all. They should understand that school is your priority. My supervisor wanted me to work a lot too... I just said that I'll pick up on shift a month and offered to potentially increase it once I get a "feel" for pharmacy school and they were fine with that.

One thing to consider is that I was an existing employee when moving to intern, if you are new to the company they might want to work more hours (at least initially) simply to get you trained/competent.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked every other weekend and had a floating day during the week. They were usually pretty understanding with regard to scheduling around tests.

The more you work the better off you will be.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all. They should understand that school is your priority. My supervisor wanted me to work a lot too... I just said that I'll pick up on shift a month and offered to potentially increase it once I get a "feel" for pharmacy school and they were fine with that.

One thing to consider is that I was an existing employee when moving to intern, if you are new to the company they might want to work more hours (at least initially) simply to get you trained/competent.

My thoughts exactly! I'm meeting with them next week to finalize the hiring process, do you think I should wait till school approaches to bring this issue up or be up front about it? I kinda wanna get my foot in the door as the job market is tough but at the same time my grades and schooling are important to me.