internship or hospital work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to make plans for this summer. I was wondering what way to go, internship or hospital. My advisor said hospital work would probably be better (like an ER Tech or even a bed pan guy, gross). I'll be doing research as part of my BS degree starting next semester and going through my senior year so I will have exposure to it. What would be the best choice?
Thanks,
Ryan

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused with your question. Intership in what? An intern is a PGY1, but I don't think you mean that.

I would say hospital work. Try getting a job as a nurse aide or clinical assistant like I did so you get to participate in medical procedures rather than just observing them all the time. I'm working in the ER and I must say that this position helped me confirm my decision in becoming a doctor.

I also believe most D.O. schools suggest some work in a hospital to better your chances for admission on their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been working as a surgical tech at the hospital in my town since I was a junior. I got a job as a housekeeper/transporter and then learned to scrub. Now I am out of school, waiting on my interviews and have become a permanent addition to the heart suite doing bypass surgeries. I assist the surgeon (suction,retract the heart, etc). OR's are often understaffed so you might be able to work your way up by working in the evening, that is if your local hospital does surgery at night.

Bryan

hippuppy,
Didn't you have to take some class to become a surgery tech? I would love to that but don't feel I have the time.

There are some who go to tech school but that is really a waste of time. I began as a housekeeper/transporter in June and by September I was scrubbing on a regular basis. There are alot of variables involved, for example: how desperate the hospital is for scrub techs, how motivated you are, what department you are in, etc. My hospital gave me a brief introduction to aceptic technique (solo gowning, gloving, gloving others, gowning others, draping, setting up and learning general instruments. Within a month after learning to scrub I was passing on a min basis in gen surgical cases.
Every hospital is different so just look for something in the surg department and keep you eye out for any opportunity to scrub. Good luck.

Bryan

Actually, to be a clinical assistant at the hospital where I work (and I believe most hopsitals as well), I had to be certifed or be a current medical student or nursing student, which I was not in both cases. However, I managed to convince them to give me an interview and after meeting with me and looking through my resume, they hired me and even said that I was overqualified!

I had the option of taking classes to be certified, but since it didn't open any new opportunities for me, I didn't bother.