PhD/PsyD Internships requiring doctoral candidacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snakebelly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Long story short, our faculty has made a clerical error that has resulted in my cohort being held back from doctoral candidacy. They have agreed to fix the error -- at cost to them -- only if we're able to demonstrate that some internship sites require doctoral candidacy, and that they check our transcripts for that information. If anyone knows of internships that require elevation to candidacy, can you please let me know?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In your case does doctoral candidacy mean that you've defended dissertation but just have to complete internship? Or does that mean you've passed other post-master's milestones (e.g., general exam/comps) but not finished dissertation yet?

Hello all,

Long story short, our faculty has made a clerical error that has resulted in my cohort being held back from doctoral candidacy. They have agreed to fix the error -- at cost to them -- only if we're able to demonstrate that some internship sites require doctoral candidacy, and that they check our transcripts for that information. If anyone knows of internships that require elevation to candidacy, can you please let me know?

Thanks!

I don't understand. What specifically is the barrier to your cohort applying for internship? You need an appropriate level/amount of training, passed quals (usually), propsed diss (usually), and the permission from DCT via a formal letter. What am I missing here?

Members don't see this ad :)
The requirements are moot, as we're trying to determine if there are any internships that look for "doctoral candidate" on the transcript. Basically, we've all completed the requirements but are not officially -- according to the graduate school, and hence, as listed on our transcripts -- "doctoral candidates." Does that clarify?

I mean, I think this is all pretty silly. But I recall my transcript saying I was a doctoral candidate when I entered my 1st year. And it had nothing to do with already having a MA, either. I remember a few years later seeing that it changed from "early stage doctoral candidate" to "late stage doctoral candidate" and laughing.

Does anyone in your program NOT become a doctoral candidate? Thus, were you not one the day you were accepted into your program? Due to this, I think your faculty either have it backwards, or more likely have no business conferring doctorates if they cant figure out who is a doctoral candidate.

The requirements are moot, as we're trying to determine if there are any internships that look for "doctoral candidate" on the transcript. Basically, we've all completed the requirements but are not officially -- according to the graduate school, and hence, as listed on our transcripts -- "doctoral candidates." Does that clarify?

"Doctoral candidate" is not an official academic term or title, so far as I know. Its as lay term that has developed over the year to describe, communicate or label someone seeking a doctorate degree. Some transcripts may have this specific title on them I suppose. Who cares? Obviously, internship app reviewers (such as myself) are well aware that they are reviewing "doctoral candidates."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The designation as doctoral candidate should not matter, it's more that your DCT signs off that you are "internship ready," whatever that means at your program (e.g., some required dissertation proposals prior to applying etc.).

My program does have a doctoral candidacy requirement before we are able to propose our dissertations. It just means that we have completed all MA requirements, passed the comps, and are determined to be "ready." It sounds like it is a phrase that only has specific meaning to the individual program and for us, it's more of a formality. From what I can tell internships require (as was previously mentioned) diss proposal, passed comps, and the "okay" from your program.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought "passed qualifying exams?" (along with "proposed dissertation?" and "defended dissertation") was the question that was on the APPI, not "are you a doctoral candidate?"
I don't know that my transcript ever said "doctoral candidate." As others said, it isn't any kind of legal distinction.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure how much help that people are going to be here. As long as you are an accredited program, shouldn't be an issue, and should really be just an administrative thing that needs to get ironed out. I honestly don't even remember what my transcripts said or if that was indicated in writing on anything.

only if we're able to demonstrate that some internship sites require doctoral candidacy, and that they check our transcripts for that information

Advancing to candidacy can mean different things (for example, some programs give comps and some don't) so I wouldn't expect this specific language to matter. Like MCParent mentioned, sites are going to use specific milestones to assess your progress towards the doctoral degree, like having proposed or defended your dissertation.

Aside from that, why would any of this need to be on your transcript specifically? If for some reason a program wanted to verify your candidacy, I don't see why a letter from your DCT wouldn't suffice.

In my program, the term candidate is used once you've completed all requirements but the dissertation (basically a more formal synonym for ABD). Internships will ask about what requirements you have and haven't finished (e.g., have you collected your dissertation data, have you defended the proposal, have you defended the dissertation itself, have you done comps/quals) but nowhere I applied cared about whether this was reflected in your transcript.