Interventional Pain Mgmt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RangerD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding Pain Mgmt...

1. Is it difficult to get a Pain Management Fellowship if you do not do your residency at that same school?

2. Do all Pain Management fellowships cover both Interventional & Medical pain management?

3. Where are the top Interventional Pain fellowships?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

1. Is it difficult to get a Pain Management Fellowship if you do not do your residency at that same school?

2. Do all Pain Management fellowships cover both Interventional & Medical pain management?
:thumbup:

Many places would like to pick local candidates but some years no locals apply so they have to take candidates from other institutions.

Look very carefully at where you apply, while every where will claim to teach you everything you need to know, many places don't teach much Interventional pain management. If teaching attending wanted to do lots of procedures they would be in private practice. Unfortunately many teaching attending want to do as little as possible, ie spend the day hanging out in their office surfing the net reading magazines talking on the phone, defiantly not teaching fellows to do pain procedures. So you may spend your pain fellowship talking to patients and writing for narcotics, not doing procedures.

3. Where are the top Interventional Pain fellowships?
Thanks! :thumbup:

as far as 1- depends. for the super competitive, like MDAnderson, they won't take you without a rotation. or, like cleveland clinic, this year they had 9 pain spots....9 in house people applied and were offered the positions...one decided to do CT instead so one spot was open. according to the PD he got several hundred apps for that one spot. preference is given to in house people without a doubt.
it is highly fellowship dependent how much experience you will get with procedures. some pain fellowships are "observational" others are very hands on.
as far as top pain fellowships: cleveland clinic, MDAnderson, dartmouth, texas tech.... by no means a comprehensive list, just my personal experience with limited programs.... (i am not including non-anes based pain fellowships due to my lack of experience with those programs...)