Interview 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well i haven't been up here in a few days as i have been out of commission and I see that this thread has been hopping! Congrats. I just want to share my list so far now that i have amassed a few and feel slightly better.
anyway here goes:

invites 9/16:
EMory
Vandy
UFl-Jax
ECu
UVA
UAB
Orlando
UTHSCSA
MUSC

letter saying they were pleased to have received my app ;) :
Duke- okay means nothing i admit but it made my day

still waiting on (and these are more to the top of my list much to my frustation):
UNC
Wake
MCV
UFl-gainesville
USF
Duke

I'l have to go back and read what you guys have been up to!

Members don't see this ad.

UVA by email and eras... :D

still waiting for Duke and NYPH..

also confirmed that maryland is not taking applications this year... and ERAS will not refund any fees :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
BU by email/eras today.

UVA & UIC

What's up with the ACGME probation on the administration at UVA?

That's quite a list! Congrats!

Thanks!
good grief anencephalic how many programs did you apply to?

how many interviews are you all going to go to? as many as you're invited to?

Still nothing.....

Getting REALLY worried now.....

Still nothing.....

Have you applied to state schools? I know UIC must not be that selective. (but I love Chicago!) Just a suggestion. And again, I hope things work out! :)

Thanks!
good grief anencephalic how many programs did you apply to?

how many interviews are you all going to go to? as many as you're invited to?

Probably way too many...

I figured as an IMG, I'd be safe with 30, but I fear the scramble:p

I've started to decline offers as we speak...:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Still nothing.....

maybe you should think about applying to more programs if offers don't come in by the end of the week. if you're willing to explore other geographical areas, you might find more opportunities...i still think you should focus all your energy/efforts on philly but you also don't want to screw yourself come match time.

in the meantime, i would really hit up your home path program in philly.

Thanks for the suggestions, all:)

It's not just me, but also my wife. Our families are both in philly, my father is not well, and neither is her mother, and we are both very much part of our support systems for them. Also, we are expecting our first child come april, and it would be really hard to move away from potential babysitters and what not.

I keep telling myself that it is still early, but I just don't know. I don't think that with three years of post-graduate training under my belt and a 228 on step 1 I am an unattractive applicant, but I can't help but worry (it's also in my nature).

Granted, most of the interviews I've seen people get are from programs that I didn't apply to, and it looks like Philly is still very slow. I have definitely hit up my home program a great deal and they know my interest; I don't want to cross the line into becoming that creepy stalker guy:p ! The only other programs that I applied to that others have gotten interviews at are GWU, Georgetown, UPMC, and Emory, but with the exception of Emory, I applied to all the others on 9/25 (Emory on 9/1).

I wish I could remember the timeline from when I applied to anesthesia; I'm pretty sure I didn't even send it applications until as late as November, because two of my letters I didn't get until mid-November; I certainly didn't interview before December.

Part of me thinks I should just chill until November 1st, especially since I was told by my home program that they interview late.

My wife told me to stop checking in here, I'll drive myself nuts!:laugh:

Well, let's look at it rationally.

Programs probably look at scores as cutoffs, and perhaps schools of applicants as well. Some like Duke said no right away. The others probably send out invites initially to the strongest candidates and then place others in a "waiting pattern" to see what the MSPE says, or maybe other letters of recommendation (I'm still waiting on my last one, otherwise, my application is complete).

Either way, I'm kind of holding out for November 8th before I really panic, which is probably a bit more reasonable than constantly psyching myself out on a daily basis.

Patience! (key Ben Kenobi voice)

UVA & UIC

So UVA is one of the first to fall victim to the 80work week problem. UVA has a system that tracks the work hours of it residents and both IM and Surgery were constantly violating the 10hour rule and the 80-hour rules. As a result the entire university was placed on probation.

Again the pathology program at UVA was not at fault. This probation did force a reorganization of the house staff office and hopefully even better working conditions.

Another reason both IM and surgery pisses me off.

Maybe a resident from UVA can chime in as well about what they think of UVA's program.

Well, let's look at it rationally.

Programs probably look at scores as cutoffs, and perhaps schools of applicants as well. Some like Duke said no right away. The others probably send out invites initially to the strongest candidates and then place others in a "waiting pattern" to see what the MSPE says, or maybe other letters of recommendation (I'm still waiting on my last one, otherwise, my application is complete).

Either way, I'm kind of holding out for November 8th before I really panic, which is probably a bit more reasonable than constantly psyching myself out on a daily basis.

Patience! (key Ben Kenobi voice)

you're right to wait. after hearing your reasons for philly, there is no question that you have some geographical constraints.

i have applied to penn, jefferson and temple and haven't heard from any of them yet. i'll keep you posted in regards to these schools. currently, it's very unlikely that i will accept an offer to interview at these places as i have already heard from the ones that i am most interested in (because of our families, philly is actually the least desirable location for both my husband and i).

just keep positive and listen to your wife. and congrats on your new baby!!!!!!

Again the pathology program at UVA was not at fault. This probation did force a reorganization of the house staff office and hopefully even better working conditions.

Another reason both IM and surgery pisses me off.

Thanks. :)

Just a quick update on the probation status at UVA. The ACGME did a reaccreditation visit, the results of which should be coming out later this month. I attended a house staff lunch late last month, where Dr. Kirk, the "annointed one" to fix the administrative mess, said that all indications from the evaluator were positive. All of the residency programs at UVA are required to send the notice of probation letter until the reaccreditation results are official, so if we were to get invites next month, in all likelihood we would not have gotten the "we are on institutional probation" spiel.

All of that being said, I have no worries about the Pathology program at UVA. After three rotations working with many of the residents and faculty, this program is rock solid. The residents seem happy, and the faculty so far have been outstanding.

Hi,

I am an IMG and applying to path (the only residency worth doing)
I have only a couple of interviews so far. Can anyone give me some information about UNM, Albequerque. I tried looking for old threads but could not find any.:confused:

Thanks

Hi,

I am an IMG and applying to path (the only residency worth doing)
I have only a couple of interviews so far. Can anyone give me some information about UNM, Albequerque. I tried looking for old threads but could not find any.:confused:

Thanks

I don't have any information for you, but I always wanted to post this: "King kong aint got **** on me!". Extra points if you can name the reference (I'll admit its pretty easy).

Would that be "Training Day"?

BU by email/eras today.

Boston University sent out multiple interview invitations and there are more to come. The pathology department is in a stage of active growth and this will be an exciting time to train at our institution.

For a piece of trivia, what is the name of the building that formerly housed anatomic pathology for Boston University?

Dan Remick
Chair of Pathology, Boston University

Hi there,

I just discovered this site. Congrats to everyone on their successes. Here's what I have so far:

Stanford 9/15 email
Cedars-Sinai 9/15 email
UT Houston 9/26 email and eras
UCSD 10/9 email, eras, and phone (I think they are doing the "driving distance" applicants first.)

Waiting on:
UCLA
UCSF
USC
UCI
UCD
Harbor-UCLA
Baylor
U of Arizona

UCSD 10/9 email, eras, and phone (I think they are doing the "driving distance" applicants first.)

Nice work. I'll be there next Monday. Hopefully it will be a good month.

PS- I'm driving distance and haven't heard a peep yet.

"Now that you mention it...I think I'm bleeding inside my chest..."

rickj.jpg

CHARLIE MURPHY!!!

Nice work. I'll be there next Monday. Hopefully it will be a good month.

PS-I'm driving distance and haven't heard a peep yet.

Thanks! :) Are you doing a rotation there? I'll bet if so, they will interview you during the rotation. I've seen your interview list, and I'd bet they'll give you one too. Best!

Thanks! :) Are you doing a rotation there? I'll bet if so, they will interview you during the rotation. I've seen your interview list, and I'd bet they'll give you one too. Best!

Yeah, I'm rotating on surgicals next month. I figured thats how it would go down, so I wasn't too concerned, at least that's what I tell myself.

Yeah, I'm rotating on surgicals next month. I figured thats how it would go down, so I wasn't too concerned, at least that's what I tell myself.

Good luck on the rotation. I'm sure it will be fantabulous. (I like to make up words, kind of like George Bush).:laugh:

My first time posting on this thread. Here's what I have so far:
UT Knoxville
U New Mexico
UT South Western
UF Jacksonville
Loyola
ETSU
Ohio State
VCU
Awaiting many many more. I am a caribben student and over applied hoping to be able to turn down the less desireable programs. Any information on any of these programs would be greatly appreciated. Good luck everyone.

I just turned down my first interview. Now I can't help but think "what if I'm more impressive on paper than in person?" :scared: I know I can't actually physically go to every one I applied to, but I'm still afraid of the scramble. Actually, paranoid is probably a better word.

Anyway, there should be another interview slot in UF Gainesville now. Hope one of you get some love.

:luck:

Hi, Everyone:

I feel so worried after reading all the posts here. Happy for your guys of course. But I only have one call from Yale and nothing else. The silence just kills the hope :( .

About myself: IMG 2000,MD and PhD, 5 years research in USA, one publication in Nature, step1 230/93, step2 229/93, waiting for cs score.

Apply to 30 programs in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania,Massachusetts.

I have done my best and don't know what else to do. Just wait...

Yuxin

About myself: IMG 2000,MD and PhD, 5 years research in USA, one publication in Nature, step1 230/93, step2 229/93, waiting for cs score.

Are you sure you checked the requirements of the programs? You are 6 almost 7 years removed from your MD! (Some schools want 5 yrs or less since your MD.) I know UWisc is 10 years. Maybe you should also apply there. Your #s are good.

Old home of BU's path department = The Mallory.

I have done my best and don't know what else to do. Just wait...

Yuxin[/QUOTE]

Hi Yuxin,
I think it is still early and you should do fine. Just give it a few more weeks. Good luck!

A.

UMDNJ-NJMS by email. Anyone here have any comments about this program?

UVA & UIC

It's pretty much a joke. The former GME office hadn't been performing the mandated internal reviews and keeping up with other paperwork. Needless to say, the GME office has been gutted and "ACGME experts" have been brought in from other institutions. There were work-hour problems with a couple departments, but it sounds like the paperwork problems are what truly pissed off the ACGME. Of course, none of this crap had anything to do with Pathology.

It sounds like all the problems have been fixed, so the probation should be lifted soon.

I'll post a detailed review of UVA's path program once I get a chance.

Old home of BU's path department = The Mallory.

:) Yes, that is the correct answer. The Mallory Institute of Pathology was named after Dr. Mallory, former chair of the department who identified Mallory's hyaline.

I just turned down my first interview. Now I can't help but think "what if I'm more impressive on paper than in person?" :scared: I know I can't actually physically go to every one I applied to, but I'm still afraid of the scramble. Actually, paranoid is probably a better word.

Anyway, there should be another interview slot in UF Gainesville now. Hope one of you get some love.

:luck:

I am about to turn down 1 and it was my first invite so i am a bit hesitant about it.
Oh and you're funny. I'm hoping that i'm more impressive in person than on paper because due to the paper (i think) my favorites are not showing me any love.

vaderize- i think that your geographical constraints are the issue. i realized that if i had done that i wouldn't have heard from any places (except 1 ) by now either.