Interview 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard that the mspes didn't tell a program much more than they already know. Mine talks about my grades (transcript), my community service (CV) and rehashes my evals from my rotation. Okay the last part is different but they can see the grades I received in those rotations on my transcript. i guess i don't understand how they could make or break an interview invite.

Members don't see this ad.

University of Washington by email/eras... I've been waitin for this one! :clap:

Congrats UCSF! Good luck at that interview and let us know when it goes down. I looked at that program and would have applied there had it not been the farthest program in the continental US away from my home. LOL.

I'm still waiting on my hopefuls.. come on MUSC..come on Vandy. I have a feeling that next week is the week.

E-Mo

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh the agony why do I have to keep waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Congrats! You da man! :thumbup:

I got that invite, too. Thought the email was unique in that it was personal. I liked the feeling I had when reading it; hope it's not a bait and switch tactic.;)

UCSFBound-how good is their program? My friend did an away there. They said bottom line: they seem to care more about MudPhuds than Muds. I hope this has changed over the past year.

Visiting UWASH might be eerie after what happened ~5 yrs ago; the murder-suicide thing. Oh well. Seattle here I come! :D

have you ever noticed that the programs you are waiting for the most seem to come last?
i don't know if i have asked this before but has anyone heard from USF?

"Ever notice how the programs you are waiting on seem to come last" ...

Yeah, such a tease.. ;)

On a side note, I used to :love: the weekend, but these days I see the weekend differently ... non-working days = no invites!! :thumbdown:

E-Mo

Congrats - great program up there. If you interview on a Friday (or maybe all their interviews are on Fridays? not sure), they have a wine hour thing similar to our Virchow where you can get a little more interaction with faculty and residents in an informal setting - got a lot of good information that way.

And Seattle rocks!

Congrats - great program up there. If you interview on a Friday (or maybe all their interviews are on Fridays? not sure), they have a wine hour thing similar to our Virchow where you can get a little more interaction with faculty and residents in an informal setting - got a lot of good information that way.

And Seattle rocks!

Hey- hope things are well. You doing CP this year? Anyway, I did schedule my interview on a Friday and will be in Seattle for 4 days, so a little time to explore as I've never been up to the NW (and I call myself a "west-coaster", ha).

To Villin- Not sure about the MD-PhD love affair being that different from anyplace else. I'm sure that a lot of big academic centers will actively court dual degree applicants, but based on their website it doesnt strike me as that different from UCSF, Stanford, etc. In terms of how "good" the program is, well, most of my knowledge is based on hearsay and conjecture, so its not worth anything. Dont think I have ever seen a UW resident on these boards, so we're kinda in the dark. We'll see what happens though... Congrats on your invite as well.

"Ever notice how the programs you are waiting on seem to come last" ...

Yeah, such a tease.. ;)

On a side note, I used to :love: the weekend, but these days I see the weekend differently ... non-working days = no invites!! :thumbdown:

E-Mo

And last monday was a holiday. I view those differently too!!! The mail HAS to be moving.

I'm down to not even checking my email more than once or twice a week, at the insistence of my wife.

She said I was really driving her crazy (not to mention racking up crazy AOL hours).

By the way, dial-up really sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
how is it going?
I am not able to logon as often as I would like to. Step 3 prep :-(
Did any of you who were invited by Georgetown ever hear back from them to finilize the date? I was invited almost a month ago, but never heard back from them after I got back to them with a preference. Please let me know if you were able to finalize a date with them, thanks.
My list so far Georgetown, GWU, Baystate, UMDNJ.

Well, got my first rejection....MUSC :(

I really wanted that one, and thought that It would be high on my rank list.
I cant understand why. There is a good history of individuals from my institution going there. Also, after some of the other invites I've gotten, I felt like I had a good shot at an interview there. :confused:

Oh well = Their loss ;)

E-Mo

I cant understand why. There is a good history of individuals from my institution going there. Also, after some of the other invites I've gotten, I felt like I had a good shot at an interview there. :confused:

Oh well = Their loss ;)

E-Mo

Sorry about this. how many invites do you have already?

other programs are so quiet. maybe in november we will hear more.

I've gotten 6 so far: Orlando Regional, UT-Knoxville, UAB, Baptist HS, MCG and WVU (declined). But my application just came complete last Friday, third LOR.

Yeah I havent heard anything from so many other programs I've applied to. The calm before the storm ... the storm of invites :thumbup: ;)

E-Mo

Oh well = Their loss ;)

E-Mo

Yeah...It wasn't one of my top 5, but I would have still liked to have interviewed there...oh well.

Indiana University by snail mail, too! :)

So far,
Ball Memorial
University of Kentucky

UK contacted me via email last Friday. I have my interview next week already! :eek:

Good luck srlacy, let us know how it goes! :)

I've gotten 6 so far: Orlando Regional, UT-Knoxville, UAB, Baptist HS, MCG and WVU (declined). But my application just came complete last Friday, third LOR.

Yeah I havent heard anything from so many other programs I've applied to. The calm before the storm ... the storm of invites :thumbup: ;)

E-Mo

What do you know about orlando? I haven't heard anything from MCG but i thought that it was close to atlanta. now i have found out that it isn't so i might now interview there even if i do get an invite.

Indiana U by snail mail.

+1 out of my top 10...woo hoo!:D

great! what is your tally now? i was going to try to stick to 10 interviews but i have 10 invites, decined 1 so that's 9 interviews and I'm still waiting to hear from 6, 3 I'm definitely going to go to if i get invited.

What do you know about orlando? I haven't heard anything from MCG but i thought that it was close to atlanta. now i have found out that it isn't so i might now interview there even if i do get an invite.

Hey, well I can tell you that MCG is about 2 hours from Atlanta, via I-20. The MCG program is good and is about to be great. We have a new head of AP who is AWESOME (he wrote one of my LORs, im not biased :D ). In addition there are several other new AP attendings that are amazing, and this program is sure to take off with these good people. As far as interest in MCG's program, there are a ton (about 10 or so) people in my class that are applying to Path, and about 5 of them want to stay at MCG :eek: Fellowships are few, Surg Path and Blood Banking/Transfusion. Augusta is a small city with a great cost of living.

As for Orlando...I know where it is :p I know that it is a small program with a HUGE surgical volume and no fellows. I'll be going there for my first interview, we'll see how it looks. Orlando seems like it would be pricey. But hey ya cant beat having Disney on your doorstep :thumbup:

Me at residency graduation from Orlando: PD - "So what will you do now?" Me - "Im going to Disneyworld for a fellowship in riding space mountain".

E-Mo

Following yesterday's letdown by MUSC I was pretty bummed, but I kept my chin up.

So today the sunshine came out again - Emory invite by email :thumbup: :)

Ah, good times again ;)

E-Mo

I heard that the mspes didn't tell a program much more than they already know. Mine talks about my grades (transcript), my community service (CV) and rehashes my evals from my rotation. Okay the last part is different but they can see the grades I received in those rotations on my transcript. i guess i don't understand how they could make or break an interview invite.

evals from rotation can be pretty telling...even if the attendings' remarks correlate with your grade, certain statements can be very flattering and will benefit you regardless of the grade. this is even more the case if your grade is worse than the written remarks would imply (as may be the case for clerkships that are historically hard to honor (at your institution) even if you worked really hard...it all depends on the school...i have no doubt that some schools grade harder than others). the deans letter is essentially (hopefully if your school wants you to do well) everything good that has ever been written about you. and some of those comment can be priceless in terms of the qualities they highlight about you...way more telling than an honors in that they explicitly state your strong attributes. and better than a CV in that it is another person (who is persumably qualified to make such judgements) speaking to your attributes.

also, for those of us who submitted more path letters than clinical letters, it informs the programs that you are a rockstar at everything that you do...even clinical medicine. it speaks to your well-roundedness in medicine in general. i think that is important because pathology requires a tremendous amount of communication with clinicans.

finally, if your school elects AOA in the fall, which is the case at my school, the deans letter will include this info. while you can update your eras profile, it never hurts to have such info restated elsewhere :)

if you have any concerns about what might be the content of your deans letter, i would follow up on it NOW. i have a friend (different med school, who is also applying to path) who did and ended up asking her dean to leave out a certain statement (by a pathologist no less) that had been written about her in an eval....this statement was unflattering and i was shocked to hear that her dean was even putting it in there!!!! She's really lucky to have had a chance to ask for it to be omitted.

great! what is your tally now? i was going to try to stick to 10 interviews but i have 10 invites, decined 1 so that's 9 interviews and I'm still waiting to hear from 6, 3 I'm definitely going to go to if i get invited.

11 invites (3 so far from my top 5), 2 turned down.

I'm still waiting for U of Kentucky, U of Iowa, and Wake Forest....gimme some love!:D

Following yesterday's letdown by MUSC I was pretty bummed, but I kept my chin up.

So today the sunshine came out again - Emory invite by email :thumbup: :)

Ah, good times again ;)

E-Mo

Congrats!

Hey, well I can tell you that MCG is about 2 hours from Atlanta, via I-20. The MCG program is good and is about to be great. We have a new head of AP who is AWESOME (he wrote one of my LORs, im not biased :D ). In addition there are several other new AP attendings that are amazing, and this program is sure to take off with these good people. As far as interest in MCG's program, there are a ton (about 10 or so) people in my class that are applying to Path, and about 5 of them want to stay at MCG :eek: Fellowships are few, Surg Path and Blood Banking/Transfusion. Augusta is a small city with a great cost of living.

E-Mo

Thanks! now why havent' they invited me for an interview? :rolleyes: :D

11 invites (3 so far from my top 5), 2 turned down.

I'm still waiting for U of Kentucky, U of Iowa, and Wake Forest....gimme some love!:D

this is great!
has anyone heard from wake?

this is great!
has anyone heard from wake?

Yeah, I got an invite via email earlier this month. Hopefully yours will be coming soon. :)
I'm still waiting on UVA, UNC, Duke and U Wash

Heard from:
UTSW, Wake, Wash U, George Washington, Georgetown, VCU, U of Florida, Emory, and MUSC

So far, heard from:
Mich, Yale, Stanford, UCSF, Brigham, MGH, BU, U. Chicago, Emory, Wash U, Cornell, Penn, UTSW, Johns Hopkins, Duke, and UC Irvine. Still waiting on U Wash, UCSD, UCLA, and Columbia.

Thanks! now why havent' they invited me for an interview? :rolleyes: :D

They haven't sent invites yet. Well, not that I know of. I was told that I have an interview, but havent gotten the email yet. So I think they havent sent them out yet. Good luck! :)

E-Mo

So far, heard from:
Mich, Yale, Stanford, UCSF, Brigham, MGH, BU, U. Chicago, Emory, Wash U, Cornell, Penn, UTSW, Johns Hopkins, Duke, and UC Irvine. Still waiting on U Wash, UCSD, UCLA, and Columbia.

whew!

new to site. from university of Puerto Rico

invites:
Albert Einstein 10/16

rejects:
Brigham 10/16

not answered:
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
SUNY-brooklyn
Mount sinai
Mass general
beth israel
miami jackson memorial

only 1 LOR, and rest of application.
do the other universities give interviews with only 1 LOR??????

thanks

So far, heard from:

Congrats on your interviews Shake...You should save some places for the rest of us chumps :D

Sapience, not heard anything from USF yet...and I am from there. Apparently many places still think that this is early...some profs say that many places wait for the MSPEs. Due to a much smaller applicant pool (say compared with IM, etc) path interviews as a whole start later/end earlier. (Apparently.)

Oh, and I read my MSPE the other day...nothing special, just an introductory paragraph (Mr X is from blah, went to blah for undergrad, blah) a rehash of all my 3rd year evals and a final wrap up (in summary, Mr blah is cool and I highly recommend him for your residency) paragraph.

So right about waiting for the 'favorite' application...UTSW anyone?

Beans

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that many of the programs are waiting on the MSPE. Thats cool, just another couple weeks for it to go out; and my interview calendar is filling up none the less. :)

E-Mo

I've declined one so far. I'll decline more when I get above the 10 interview mark, currently at six. How many do you have now Anencephalic??

E-Mo

Can any one give me some information about university of new mexico program

I've declined one so far. I'll decline more when I get above the 10 interview mark, currently at six. How many do you have now Anencephalic??

E-Mo

9 interviews; 2 declines.

I'm shooting for 15 interviews...we'll see what happens after the MSPEs are released!

Yeah, I got an invite via email earlier this month. Hopefully yours will be coming soon. :)
I'm still waiting on UVA, UNC, Duke and U Wash

Heard from:
UTSW, Wake, Wash U, George Washington, Georgetown, VCU, U of Florida, Emory, and MUSC

wow- try to understand the logic. I have gotten inteviews at Duke and UVA but am still waiting to hear from VCU and Wake. I haven't heard from UNC either.