Interview 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My application is finally complete!

Last LOR in, the only one from a pathologist (the rest were from my former colleagues in anesthesiology).

Been a dry week for me, hoping it picks up in the next 14 days.

Out of 18 programs:
:thumbup:

UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson
UMDNJ-NJMC (Newark)
Allegheny in Pittsburg

:thumbdown:
Hopkins
Duke
GW

Still waiting:

All the philly programs, Penn State Hershey, Conemaugh, UPMC, BU, never heard from Emory, either.

Members don't see this ad.

hello friends,

I've been reading this thread since sept 1st and have not had the chance to post. Here are the programs i'm interviewing at:

Hopkins, Cornell, Albert Einstein, Mt Sinai, NYU, Yale, Brigham, MGH.

Still waiting on Columbia and Penn.

First one's coming up on monday! good luck to everyone!

UAMS by email today. Anybody have any info? I've talked to a couple of residents who went to med school there. They didn't have anything particularly good or bad to say about the program...but they do have a DERMPATH fellowship!!!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I've been on the fence for awhile but have finally decided not to go to this interview. So that should open another spot. I guess my altruism toward my fellow applicants finally pushed me over. ;) That, and my wife's constant "What!? South Carolina?! Don't you want me to be happy?" :rolleyes:
Actually, I did get an email from the director this morning that said all their interview slots were full, but that they'd probably open another date (Jan 19). Goodluck everybody.

Well, I've been on the fence for awhile but have finally decided not to go to this interview. So that should open another spot. I guess my altruism toward my fellow applicants finally pushed me over. ;) That, and my wife's constant "What!? South Carolina?! Don't you want me to be happy?" :rolleyes:
Actually, I did get an email from the director this morning that said all their interview slots were full, but that they'd probably open another date (Jan 19). Goodluck everybody.

what's wrong with SC? I got the director's email today too. I'll tell you what, they have been the most informative program yet. their "we got your app" email down to today's email were great. so i wonder if the line of communication between residents and faculty is just as good?

I am worried that the programs that i haven't heard from that I REALLY want to hear from will have minimal spots left if i get an invite. I guess that I'd have to start bumping less desirables

I, too, was very impressed with their level of communication. I particularly appreciated the interview invitation email that detailed everything needed to know before making travel plans. Other places I've had to ask if anything is planned the night before? hotel provided? start/end times? time to drive to airport? You know, little things every applicant will want to know to make arrangements. Why can't they lay it all out up front? Seems it would be a little easier on us and them. :mad: Sorry for the rant. This has become a new pet peeve of mine.

I am worried that the programs that i haven't heard from that I REALLY want to hear from will have minimal spots left if i get an invite. I guess that I'd have to start bumping less desirables

I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of programs haven't sent out their full compliment of invites yet; remember, not everyone will accept an invitation everywhere. I haven't heard from many programs either, and while I worry that the ones that I applied to on Sept 1st aren't interested, it's just as likely that they are simply waiting to send out interviews (and/or interviewing a little later) for their own reasons, or so as to avoid a longer interview season.

If we try and second guess the method to the interview processes' madness, we'll all go crazy!!:eek:

UAMS by email today. Anybody have any info? I've talked to a couple of residents who went to med school there. They didn't have anything particularly good or bad to say about the program...but they do have a DERMPATH fellowship!!!! :laugh:

I actually believe Arkansas has one of the top dermpath attendings in the country. I'm sure someone else can chip in with more specifics.

I, too, was very impressed with their level of communication. I particularly appreciated the interview invitation email that detailed everything needed to know before making travel plans. Other places I've had to ask if anything is planned the night before? hotel provided? start/end times? time to drive to airport? You know, little things every applicant will want to know to make arrangements. Why can't they lay it all out up front? Seems it would be a little easier on us and them. :mad: Sorry for the rant. This has become a new pet peeve of mine.

Join the club! and i have an itnerview at one place during thanksgiving week. that is less than a month away and i haven't received a confirmation or infomration about hotels (there are supposed to be discounts) or anything. so i just went ahead and booked a hotel. and then i have some interviews in december where i have received everything, confirmation #s, the works. i won't even mention my interview in the middle of nov- NOTHING yet but an interview date. sheesh....

University of Arizona by regular mail only

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone!

Haven't been posting in awhile, but I figured I'd join in on the interview lists. I have my first interview tomorrow (10/30) at Jefferson. I'm a little nervous about starting off with that one and having it this early, but considering I'm an intern with a pretty inflexible schedule, I've gotta take the time when my PD lets me.

Anyway:
invites: Jeff (10/30), Drexel(12/2), Pennsylvania Hospital (yet to be scheduled), UMDNJ-RWJ (12/6), Allegheny (1/12)

Still Waiting: Temple, UPenn (doubt I'll get an invite), UPMC, UMDNJ-Newark, Hershey, St. Barnabas

Glad to see that we'll all gettin invites!
-PRD

Good luck PunkRock!

I haven't heard from Hershey or Philly programs yet-do you guys think it's a good or a bad idea to email any of those programs and express my interest? I sent in ERAS on Sept 1st and am wondering whether or not my application may have been placed aside. Since the MPSE's come out wednesday and my application is only just completed (final LOR loaded up last wednesday), I am wondering whether or not it will hurt me to do that.

Should I still be more patient, or should I go for it?

Anybody interview or invited to Baylor Dallas yet this year?

Here's what I've got so far...

Completed: Baystate/Tufts, East Tennessee State U

Invited and going: Yale, WVU, U Kansas, Indiana U, U Nebraska, Ohio State, U of Toledo

Declined: St Joseph AZ, MetroHealth Cleveland OH, U of AZ,

Waiting to hear from: U of Iowa, U of Kentucky, Wake Forest

good luck to those who have interviews this week! Mine start next week. i'm goig to do summaries after I have a few under my belt.

Good luck PunkRock!

I haven't heard from Hershey or Philly programs yet-do you guys think it's a good or a bad idea to email any of those programs and express my interest? I sent in ERAS on Sept 1st and am wondering whether or not my application may have been placed aside. Since the MPSE's come out wednesday and my application is only just completed (final LOR loaded up last wednesday), I am wondering whether or not it will hurt me to do that.

Should I still be more patient, or should I go for it?

I have ONE program that would be #1 on my list if i get an interview. I have said that if i don't hear anything by the middle of november (maybe end) or if i get rejected I will email the pd. i don't see what it could hurt. it may even help.

Thanks Sapience!

I think I will wait a little longer and then go for.

It's just hard not to psych myself out knowing that I applied WAY back Sept 1(did they put my application aside, are they undecided, etc).

Since I only had my application completed last week, I need to be more patient:)

Anybody else getting sick of all the political commercials?

Western Kentucky Regional Medical Center (by carrier pigeon).

It's my safety, dont laugh.

U Washington today by email/eras. No hotel--skinflints.

I just got an email from Baylor Dallas. :)

I just got an email from Baylor Dallas. :)

I am really interested in this program (for the 2008 season). Any speculation on how competitive this program is? Are you going to the interview?

well my dean's letter still hasn't been uploaded :(. i thought the deadline was yesterday? what happens if the school misses the deadline?:mad:

well my dean's letter still hasn't been uploaded :(. i thought the deadline was yesterday? what happens if the school misses the deadline?:mad:

it's outta your hands. send an email politely asking if there is some delay in uploading the MSPE. don't fret! i'm sure this has happened in the past that programs know to expect this delay.

Does someone who has already started interviewing want to start an "interview experiences" thread?

USC by stipper-gram. Really suprised everyone here at the office this morning. Came dressed in scrubs and looking all official.

The university of Wahington's program is truly the first "big name" program that has offered me an interview that has not offered accomodations.

It also hurts that I don't know anybody in Seattle I can impose on.

it's outta your hands. send an email politely asking if there is some delay in uploading the MSPE. don't fret! i'm sure this has happened in the past that programs know to expect this delay.

I have called, vm was full :confused: . then i sent an email to the person doing them- no response from this morning. so just now i cc'd the dean of students and the registrar since I know that one was helping out and the other oversees them.

so i emailed my top school that i haven't heard from yet and asked them what their absolute deadline is and what the consequences were for not having the dean's letter in. ie. would it delay review of my app or what?

now I'm really running the risk of not having any interview spots left open. oh well i have 10 interviews at some great places. some things are just not meant to be!

Baylor-D and Baylor-H, and that's the last of 'em!

Can't wait to get started actually visiting these places that I've been thinking about for about 6 months now. :thumbup: Time to brush up on my interview responses.

Baylor-D and Baylor-H, and that's the last of 'em!

Can't wait to get started actually visiting these places that I've been thinking about for about 6 months now. :thumbup: Time to brush up on my interview responses.

wow! everyone? I still have 5 more to hear from but will in all likelihood accept interviews at 2 of those. congrats!

The university of Wahington's program is truly the first "big name" program that has offered me an interview that has not offered accomodations.

Is there a regional bias to your application? I have applied to east and west coast programs and have received one offer for hotel, and that was from the U of Arizona. I'm not sure that this has anything to do with application competitiveness, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and also would like you to out the programs that have provided "accomodations". As for Seattle, suck it up- its only one night in a hotel and I'm sure you can find something for $80-100.

Is there a regional bias to your application? I have applied to east and west coast programs and have received one offer for hotel, and that was from the U of Arizona. I'm not sure that this has anything to do with application competitiveness, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and also would like you to out the programs that have provided "accomodations". As for Seattle, suck it up- its only one night in a hotel and I'm sure you can find something for $80-100.

I'll start a new thread for this so that it will be easy to find for future searches.

Congrats! :)

On a side note: Did you look at their mock interview schedule? Looks odd with only 2 or so hours interviewing and another 1 to 2 hours of sign out. Is this a group interview where they eventually pimp you at the end of the day?

I am currently at Duke, and the way most interview days go is fairly relaxed, in my opinion. There are three or four interviews, then a little bit of sign out (as you said) and then at the end of the day there is a little "mixer" where the applicants for that day have drinks and snacks and usually most of the residents and many of the faculty come. They're usually a lot of fun and fairly informal. There is no group interview :)

I got an informational/promotional package from Duke today that included a hotel brochure. I don't remember them ever specifically saying they'd pay for a night. The brochure doesn't mention a discount for residency applicants. Does anyone else recall, or is this just a recommendation and I'm out another hundred bucks?

Also got a similar package from Vanderbilt last week. I wish more programs would send these out because it's nice to have all that info put together in one place. Weather, traffic, jobs, things to do and see, places to eat, local govt, etc.

If I remember correctly I did not have to pay for the hotel--they picked up the tab--and I think this is still how it's done. The hotel itself (the Brookwood) is not great, though it is decent, but it is across the street from the hospital, which is a big advantage on interview day.

Which "big name" programs are you referring to? I was not offered accommodations at any of the Harvard programs, Hopkins, Wash U, UCSF, or Stanford (in addition to University of Washington). I consider any offer of accommodations an added bonus, and the exception rather than the rule.

As for Seattle, suck it up- its only one night in a hotel and I'm sure you can find something for $80-100.

You can find cheaper than that (it isn't Boston).
Try calling the hospital, most hospitals have discount rates at near by hotels.

oh and LADoc? That is called agressive recruiting... :D