Interview Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to everyone with IIs already. Are any of you interviewing soon? Starting to feel anxious/nervous yet? My first interview is at NSU on 8/28 (13 days away :scared:). I knew about it, but I kind of just realized how fast it is approaching.

How are you all coping with nervousness this cycle, whether it be getting your secondaries in, preparing for secondaries, paying for everything, or anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone with IIs already. Are any of you interviewing soon? Starting to feel anxious/nervous yet? My first interview is at NSU on 8/28 (13 days away :scared:). I knew about it, but I kind of just realized how fast it is approaching.

How are you all coping with nervousness this cycle, whether it be getting your secondaries in, preparing for secondaries, paying for everything, or anything else?

Loads of downers.

But really, don't be nervous. Someone close to me interviewed 3 places last year and went 3 for 3. Her advice was to just treat it like a conversation with a new friend. If a school has given you an interview, they don't care about your stats or any of that neurotic SDN pre-med crap anymore. They want to see your personality, they want to see your passion. Make sure it shines through. An adcom told me last week while I was visiting their campus "When you're interviewing make sure you know how to show your passion for medicine. If you are on our campus for an interview we want to see that you are passionate about medicine. If you haven't thought about how to portray that yet, start thinking about it now".

I'm not really nervous. I have two II's so far & just submitted four more secondaries last week. I have been told that I interview extremely well, so I'm ready to nail these, smiling. My patience, though, is where I've been having issues.

Thankfully, I spent most of the first six months of the year budgeting for apps, travel, deposits, etc, so no anxiety there either. I just want my acceptance already! Hurry up, September!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am with you on this one. I am extremely nervous. I am sure my nerves will calm down by a lot after my first interview. As of now the whole interview process seems very foreign to me so hoping to become more confident after the first interview. Fingers Crossed!

Practice. Practice with others, your wife/gf/bf/bff/dog, your supervisor, your mom, my mom, yourself in the mirror, your mentors, your kids, that neighbor you hate, ANYBODY who will listen to you talk about yourself for 20+ min.

My wife pointed out my nervous habits when I talk at a table interview style and that helped me become less nervous. Be polite and respectful, don't argue but state your stance and defend it if necessary. Look each interviewer in the eyes (if you have more than one) on EVERY question. Don't just answer back to the person who asked you. Make sure you include all parties. Don't fiddle, don't look at the clock, smile a lot, smile even more than that, ask for time to think if you are presented with a left-field question, but don't take 5 min. Be prepared with generalized answers to each question from the interview questions on this website but DON'T be rehearsed. Always try to tie something into your own experiences.

i.e. i was asked what the next war would be about, i said energy and related it back to a prior month when the power in our entire city was cut off. Said it was chaotic and events like this make you realize how much our civilization is built upon things that we take for granted. Was it a great answer? No not really, but in a high pressure situation, it was good enough. The fact that I tied it back to my own life made it a great answer.

They asked you what you thought the next war was going to be about? At an interview for med school?

/mind bottling

You can block anxiety. There's drugs for that. Just don't overdo it.

"Hey maaaan."

They asked you what you thought the next war was going to be about? At an interview for med school?

/mind bottling

Yes, why not? Nothing is off the table in a medical school interview. Have you seen some of the interview questions on this website? (example: if you could be any kitchen appliance, what would you be and why?)

These types of questions are meant to catch you off guard to see if you can think on your feet. I.E. are you a robot spouting off rehearsed answers or do you have a brain?

Loads of downers.

But really, don't be nervous. Someone close to me interviewed 3 places last year and went 3 for 3. Her advice was to just treat it like a conversation with a new friend. If a school has given you an interview, they don't care about your stats or any of that neurotic SDN pre-med crap anymore. They want to see your personality, they want to see your passion. Make sure it shines through. An adcom told me last week while I was visiting their campus "When you're interviewing make sure you know how to show your passion for medicine. If you are on our campus for an interview we want to see that you are passionate about medicine. If you haven't thought about how to portray that yet, start thinking about it now".

That is great advice.:)

Practicing is helping me raise my confidence a lot.

I wish I started practicing earlier. My flight is tomorrow morning lol

Loads of downers.

Great advice, thank you!

I am with you on this one. I am extremely nervous. I am sure my nerves will calm down by a lot after my first interview. As of now the whole interview process seems very foreign to me so hoping to become more confident after the first interview. Fingers Crossed!

+1. I think it'll be easier after the first one.

"Hey maaaan."

Haha funny you should bring that up. Half Baked was on TV a few days ago.

Practicing is helping me raise my confidence a lot.

I wish I started practicing earlier. My flight is tomorrow morning lol

I didn't know you had an interview. Congrats!

"Hey maaaan."
What drugs are you suggesting? I know about propanolol... I might use that one if I got any interview this cycle....I am a nervous wreck by nature....

What drugs are you suggesting? I know about propanolol... I might use that one if I got any interview this cycle....I am a nervous wreck by nature....

Half-Baked.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewers like canidates who express dominance. Make sure you let them know whose in charge and how it's going to go down.

Beta blocker will prevent epinephrine and norepinephrine from giving one anxiety. Propanolol is the one typically used by performers to quell their performance anxiety as it is centrally acting in addition to its PNS effects.

Loads of downers.

Brilliant advice.

I think all this emphasis on "practice" and rehearsing is bull****. I mean... yes, it's great to brainstorm a little and think about how you'd answer some important questions, but overall just be yourself and express your passion for medicine.

Brilliant advice.

I think all this emphasis on "practice" and rehearsing is bull****. I mean... yes, it's great to brainstorm a little and think about how you'd answer some important questions, but overall just be yourself and express your passion for medicine.

Practicing and rehearsing are not the same thing. If you think you can walk into an interview with no practice and ace it perfectly then you, my good sir, have nerves of steel. Most people cannot do this because they've never been subjected to this kind of high-stress environment and fidget, say things like "uhm, like.." This is why people should practice. Good interview skills are just like any other skills and to get good at it, you should practice. Yes some people are naturally gifted, but not all of us can shoot the breeze with 1-3 people who will decide our fate for the rest of our lives.

Rehearsing is memorizing exactly what you are going to say and when to say it. This is NOT suggested but being "PREPARED" is the key word.

Brilliant advice.

have you tried a practice session? my first one included a lot of stuttering and i kept saying "you know" excessively.

the idea is to practice being under pressure in order for you to be yourself properly.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I planned on practicing at my graduate institution but wasn't able to find the time. I resorted to reading the interview feedback section of SDN, which was incredibly helpful. I rehearsed the generic interview questions myself, then really studied the tougher questions that previous interviewees found difficult and/or interesting. These are the questions you have to be aware of because they can ask you anything to catch you off-guard. Fortunately, I wasn't asked any, ethical or incredibly abstract questions. Still, I researched and rehearsed these scenarios to better prepare for these potential situations.

My first interview led to my first acceptance. Overall, I found that interviewing becomes easier with real experience.

Practicing and rehearsing are not the same thing. If you think you can walk into an interview with no practice and ace it perfectly then you, my good sir, have nerves of steel. Most people cannot do this because they've never been subjected to this kind of high-stress environment and fidget, say things like "uhm, like.." This is why people should practice. Good interview skills are just like any other skills and to get good at it, you should practice. Yes some people are naturally gifted, but not all of us can shoot the breeze with 1-3 people who will decide our fate for the rest of our lives.

Rehearsing is memorizing exactly what you are going to say and when to say it. This is NOT suggested but being "PREPARED" is the key word.

Damn dude, nice work.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I planned on practicing at my graduate institution but wasn't able to find the time. I resorted to reading the interview feedback section of SDN, which was incredibly helpful. I rehearsed the generic interview questions myself, then really studied the tougher questions that previous interviewees found difficult and/or interesting. These are the questions you have to be aware of because they can ask you anything to catch you off-guard. Fortunately, I wasn't asked any, ethical or incredibly abstract questions. Still, I researched and rehearsed these scenarios to better prepare for these potential situations.

My first interview led to my first acceptance. Overall, I found that interviewing becomes easier with real experience.

Thanks!

I really wish I had Internet at home other than just on my phone. I haven't researched any of the questions that commonly get asked in interviews or practiced answering them. I say this as I've woken up at 3am to begin my journey out to an interview with LECOM-Erie for the 17th.
I have had LOTS of job interviews and have been told that I'm good at those, but this is a whole new ball game. Lol
Wish me luck

Her advice was to just treat it like a conversation with a new friend.

THIS! And like DrWily said, practice. You want it to flow well, and if they ask you about something in your app you don't want to ramble on like an idiot or have a poorly thought out response.

I am going to stutter like a little b*tch:scared:

One of the physicians that I shadowed gave me some advice. He has been an adcom for at least three different schools in the past, and is active faculty for at least two schools right now on top of being a practicing physician.

"When, not if, but when, you go into the interview, you have already shown the school that you are good enough to be accepted. They have already seen that you are good enough to go to the school. Now they are trying to determine if you are acceptable to be at the school. They have to live with you for four years. Do you have a personality that they can live with? Also, they will be branding you for life with the name of their school. Do they want YOU to be the one representing their school in the world once you graduate?"

I am going to treat my interviews like I would treat my good friends. I am going to act like someone that they would want to go hang out with after the interview.

At one pre-med meeting that I went to, the leader is an instructor at a med school in the area. He said that he goes to the meet-and-greet pizza dinner the night before the interviews so that he can scope out the interviewees. Who is outgoing vs. overbearing. Who is shy vs. timid. Who is nice vs. A-hole. Who seems to be a hard worker vs. gunner. He will even make notes when he is done. Pizza dinner is as much of the interview process as the interview the next day. This may be true for only one school, but I would think that it could be similar for many others as well.

Just relax and be natural. You have been preparing yourself for at least a couple of years for this. You have passed through one hoop after another (I feel like a trick poodle from all the hoops that I have jumped). YOU WILL DO FINE!

dsoz

I feel pretty confident about my interviewing skills.
I've been told I interview very well and that it is easy to see that I am passionate about what I am doing.

My last job interview was a blast. I felt like I could hang out with my interviewers all day and we would of had an awesome day!

I had a difficult interview once that I thought I bombed but I still got the job after the fact. The interviewer was drilling me with difficult questions and sometimes I felt like I intimidated her a bit. Anyways, I left feeling like crap and was surprised when they asked me back for the second interview. I think the trick was that I made sure she knew I was qualified and passionate about the job and that I was always positive. Every time she would put me on the spot and say "but do you think you will be able to do this?" I would say yes and tell her how I was going to do it. I think that impressed them.

For med school, I went on a mock interview a couple days ago and was given a lot of good info. I am not really afraid of meeting new people so I am excited to meet another person in the field I love. I am gonna think through a few things I want to make sure I say during the interview. Also, I was told to take charge of the conversation when the interview is one on one (don't have difficulty with that) and to make sure you are conveying what you want to convey about yourself. Make it hard for them to say no to you! I think I am good at that too, I am naturally a people's person with impressive persuasive abilities.

When it is a group interview like Lecom's they are looking for group dynamics, so again if you are a gunner tone it down, if you are passive try not to agree with everyone all the time.
Be yourself but don't be super abrasive!

One of the physicians that I shadowed gave me some advice. He has been an adcom for at least three different schools in the past, and is active faculty for at least two schools right now on top of being a practicing physician.

"When, not if, but when, you go into the interview, you have already shown the school that you are good enough to be accepted. They have already seen that you are good enough to go to the school. Now they are trying to determine if you are acceptable to be at the school. They have to live with you for four years. Do you have a personality that they can live with? Also, they will be branding you for life with the name of their school. Do they want YOU to be the one representing their school in the world once you graduate?"

I am going to treat my interviews like I would treat my good friends. I am going to act like someone that they would want to go hang out with after the interview.

At one pre-med meeting that I went to, the leader is an instructor at a med school in the area. He said that he goes to the meet-and-greet pizza dinner the night before the interviews so that he can scope out the interviewees. Who is outgoing vs. overbearing. Who is shy vs. timid. Who is nice vs. A-hole. Who seems to be a hard worker vs. gunner. He will even make notes when he is done. Pizza dinner is as much of the interview process as the interview the next day. This may be true for only one school, but I would think that it could be similar for many others as well.

Just relax and be natural. You have been preparing yourself for at least a couple of years for this. You have passed through one hoop after another (I feel like a trick poodle from all the hoops that I have jumped). YOU WILL DO FINE!

dsoz

Thanks for that advice. I usual interview quite well but now that I'm in pennsylvania I'm getting kind of nervous about my LECOM interview tomorrow. I'll jus try to get out of my own head and enjoy the unique experience.

I feel pretty confident about my interviewing skills.
I've been told I interview very well and that it is easy to see that I am passionate about what I am doing.

My last job interview was a blast. I felt like I could hang out with my interviewers all day and we would of had an awesome day!

I had a difficult interview once that I thought I bombed but I still got the job after the fact. The interviewer was drilling me with difficult questions and sometimes I felt like I intimidated her a bit. Anyways, I left feeling like crap and was surprised when they asked me back for the second interview. I think the trick was that I made sure she knew I was qualified and passionate about the job and that I was always positive. Every time she would put me on the spot and say "but do you think you will be able to do this?" I would say yes and tell her how I was going to do it. I think that impressed them.

For med school, I went on a mock interview a couple days ago and was given a lot of good info. I am not really afraid of meeting new people so I am excited to meet another person in the field I love. I am gonna think through a few things I want to make sure I say during the interview. Also, I was told to take charge of the conversation when the interview is one on one (don't have difficulty with that) and to make sure you are conveying what you want to convey about yourself. Make it hard for them to say no to you! I think I am good at that too, I am naturally a people's person with impressive persuasive abilities.

When it is a group interview like Lecom's they are looking for group dynamics, so again if you are a gunner tone it down, if you are passive try not to agree with everyone all the time.
Be yourself but don't be super abrasive!

Thanks for the advice! I've never really been a nervous interviewer, but I've also never interviewed for something I wanted this badly before.

Thanks for that advice. I usual interview quite well but now that I'm in pennsylvania I'm getting kind of nervous about my LECOM interview tomorrow. I'll jus try to get out of my own head and enjoy the unique experience.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I've never really been a nervous interviewer, but I've also never interviewed for something I wanted this badly before.

Good luck!

Thanks for the well wishes! Trust me, you'll feel it at least a little just before the interview. I haven't had an appetite all day, but I think I'm looking forward to it now. Just gotta go get some sleep.

Thanks for the well wishes! Trust me, you'll feel it at least a little just before the interview. I haven't had an appetite all day, but I think I'm looking forward to it now. Just gotta go get some sleep.

Dang man thats exciting! Im so pumped for my first interview but things dont start rolling for me until mid september. Let us know what its like!!

Dang man thats exciting! Im so pumped for my first interview but things dont start rolling for me until mid september. Let us know what its like!!

I'll be posting in the LECOM-Erie thread about my interview later, like when I'm done traveling home, ugh. Suffice it to say that LECOM is impressive. Could it be that I am easily impressed by a real live medical school that has expressed interest in me, no. Ok maybe. Really though, I think they really set up their students for success and they seem to have some good affiliations in the area. More about that later I guess.

The nervousness is creeping up on me a little bit. I'm both excited and anxious.