General Admissions & OTCAS Interview at USM (Maine). What to expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mainegrey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am invited to the interview! Woot Woot!!
what questions to expect? what not to do?)))
any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm interviewing tomorrow! You may have already interviewed, but in almost all the interviews I've had there have been some consistent questions:
1)Explain what OT is in your own words
2)What about your personal, professional, educational, and or volunteer experiences make you believe you would be a good OT?
3)Give an example of a time you worked well in a group
4)Why this program?
5)What makes you think you are capable of handling the academic demands of this program, or have examples ready to show that you are good with time management.

Good luck!

I hope the interviews went well! I'm going to be attending USM and think it would be great to connect with anyone attending next fall. Hope you both got your first choice!

Hey! I'm interviewing tomorrow! You may have already interviewed, but in almost all the interviews I've had there have been some consistent questions:
1)Explain what OT is in your own words
2)What about your personal, professional, educational, and or volunteer experiences make you believe you would be a good OT?
3)Give an example of a time you worked well in a group
4)Why this program?
5)What makes you think you are capable of handling the academic demands of this program, or have examples ready to show that you are good with time management.

Good luck!

I got in too! I'm only applying to one other school and it really comes down to whether Maine will grant me in state tuition or not, if they don't I would save over $20,000 (plus 7% interest :) ) going to the other school, so I'll hopefully have my decision made by March.

But I loved USM, I honestly didn't think I would so much, everyone always talks about how great UNE's program is, and I've heard a little pish poshing about USM's program but it was everything I was looking for. I loved that the professors all had education backgrounds, lots of schools tout that all their professors are OTDs and have credentials in the field, which is wonderful, but it doesn't mean that they are effective conveyers of that information. USM also seemed to reject the top down education model and focus more on community learning.
I also loved how creative that one part of the interview was (I don't know if I should share it on here, but you know, the fun part). They really seem to value a well-rounded person with strong interpersonal and creative skills.
It sounds like they have a great rapport within the greater Lewiston area, and that clinics and hospitals actually call them asking for USM students for fieldwork placement.
I'm incredibly happy I got in, I'm excited about the program and to be so close to my family. I thought I was going to have to move far away from everything.
Are you for sure going? Have you gotten your acceptance letter yet? I only got the e-mail thus far.

Reactions: 1 user